SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SOLVED!! Ever break into a safe?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SOLVED!! Ever break into a safe? Login/Join 
Picture of jbcummings
posted
I've got an OLD safe/lockbox that I need to get into. I think it was made back in the 50's or 60's. I have the combination, but it's not working and my Google-foo isn't helping so far. Basically, I'm not interested in preserving it. It originally belonged to my FIL and got passed down to my oldest son who just died. From what I can tell my MIL, before she died 3 years ago, taught him how to open it. I know that it was never an easy or quick process simply because the lock is so finicky. I'm going see if I can drill through the lid and sides to figure out how thick it is. From the once or twice that I saw it when it was opened, I think I remember everything is deceptively thicker than it appears in the pictures.

I've tried locksmiths in the area, they're not interested. Anyone have any thoughts about an attack plan?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jbcummings,

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Maybe if you posted a couple of pics/safe info our resident safe experts could help in some way. I know different locks can have completely different combination sequence methods.

Edit: looks like you got them added as I was typing

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Six pounds of Tannerite

Posts: 107657 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Are those external hinges? If so, perhaps you could sheer them off with bolt cutters and pry it open.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I just want to say my condolences for your son.

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Six pounds of Tannerite

Uh, boss? He said "open it" not "orbit it".

'K?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12785 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
A circular saw to the side or back.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and chop off those hinges if using a punch doesn't get the pins out. If cutting off the hinges doesn't work then cut down right in front of the lock to where the lock engages the box

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Six pounds of Tannerite

'K?
I like 'sploshions.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107657 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Do it the Mythbusters way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxgPX5-cmvc

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't be too hard . Every time somebody posts a thread on a gun forum about it , there's always some dickhead that chimes in about how easy it is to get into any gun safe with a nail file and a set of chopsticks .

Posts: 4064 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This should make short work of it if you don't care about destroying it. Razz You can rent them.

You'd probably want to cut on the side with the door hinges, top or back to avoid the locking bolts.

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Call Geraldo Rivera

Posts: 26926 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Six pounds of Tannerite

'K?

Can't hurt to try

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37988 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Break in Michael Westen style (forward to 35:20)

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Anyone have any thoughts about an attack plan?

Blow it up. Blow it up real good.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
This was kinda a challenge for me in the past.

I bought a number of vintage floor safes where the owner had forgotten the combination. My success rate in opening was probably 50%.

There is a trick on some of the old commercial and heavy safes. There is a combination called a "shelf" or "storage" combination. This is a default combo like 25-50-25 or similar that the locksmiths use when storing or transporting safes. If you have an old safe that fits this bill, search online for the brand.

Also, it is worth checking the back, sides and bottom of the safe for the combo written in pencil. (We even tried blacklight). Found two safes with the combo written on the bottom.

The one that was a challenge was a 1895 Mosler safe that weighed probably 1,200 pounds. I tried everything and just couldn't get it open. I bought it for a $1 from a little NY village. The only gentleman who knew the combo passed away and they had no idea what was in it.

So I read/researched online as to where the fence fell inside the mechanism. I was moving and it was in rough shape so I didn't plan on keeping it.

I took a 90 degree cutting tool and cut only a small surgical section out, then reached inside and cut the fence. I was able to open it after that. This was the only safe I damaged in opening and I sold it for metal scrap.

Best reward I got from about 15 safes over the years was six ounce silver bars.

If it's an old one check the make and verify that it doesn't have any anti-theft surprises inside the door assembly.

(Always hoped I would find stacks of currency or a vintage Colt 2 1/2" barrel Python but no such luck)...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
If that has a spring bolt (door can be closed with combo lock locked) then I can get you into it with little effort.

Any signs (rub marks or depressed area) on the side of the safes body where the door gap is near the dial?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
turn 4 times to the left stopping on the first number, turn 3 times to the right stopping on the second number, turn 2 times to the left stopping on the third number, then turn right until it stops and open. Thats the way mine work, couldn't hurt to try before you get out the power tools.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
turn 4 times to the left stopping on the first number, turn 3 times to the right stopping on the second number, turn 2 times to the left stopping on the third number, then turn right until it stops and open. Thats the way mine work, couldn't hurt to try before you get out the power tools.

Definitely worth a shot, since you supposedly know the combo. I have an old Diebold safe from the mid-1900s that works this way. A little different from the typical way of opening a combo lock.

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post