SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Took my Tacoma in for Recall today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Took my Tacoma in for Recall today Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
This is the fuel pump recall which requires dropping the fuel tank and all that evolves.

Well, it all went a lot better then I expected. Took it in at 10 am... got a loaner car (Camry with 700 miles on it.. more on that later) easy-peasy. Got a call about 2 pm that it was ready. Picked it put and again, not fuss, just sign the ticket and off I went. While I hate it that there are recalls, I also am happy they do the right thing when stuff is not as is should be.

Now the Camry. We have an Avalon which is a great car. Bigger and with more space than the Camry and with the 6cly engine it is a screamer. That said, that little Camry with the 4 cylinder was impressive. I guess I don't know what I'm advocating here except if you think a 4 cylinder Toyota is as dog... think again. And Toyota service at least for me has been Stellar.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I bought my wife a 2020 Lexus RX350 a couple of months ago, we haven't received a recall notice on it yet but I saw they were included in the recall. Do they notify you by mail?

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have a stack of recall notices for my 2009 Corolla's passenger air bag. Razz In 12 years I might have had three or four people ride there.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingfoot:
I bought my wife a 2020 Lexus RX350 a couple of months ago, we haven't received a recall notice on it yet but I saw they were included in the recall. Do they notify you by mail?

You should receive a letter. The parts are somewhat in short supply. I waited 3 weeks after notice before my part came in and they called to make a service appointment. Lexus no doubt treats their customer pretty well so no worries.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I had my 4runner in for service yesterday and was waiting outside on the dealers lot chatting with some people when a brand new RAV4’s rear window popped/shattered on it’s own...freaky! It was not a crack or fracture, the thing just totally shattered. It had just been delivered earlier that morning. Employee said it has happened once before.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
What year was your Taco that was subject to the recall? Wondering if it might apply to my ‘03 work Taco or our ‘11 family Taco...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure it's the more recent models than '03 models. My '18 Highlander XLE is part of the recall. Got the call from the dealership we bought from but no longer live around there. Called the local dealership and they said they have to order the part and will call me in 2 weeks.

Would be nice to get a loaner instead of taking a Lyft home or waiting around the dealership.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Received the recall notice, by mail, mid September on my 18 TRD off-road. Complained to the dealer, where I purchased three Tacos. They promptly supplied a loaner Camry that I kept 5.5 months until a new fuel pump was installed.
All is well

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Just took in my 2018 HL for the fuel pump issue. Said it would take about 3 hours. One hour later all done. I asked what was the issue with the pump. Seems after extended high speed driving the pump has a tendency to fail. We had just gotten back from a 10 hour drive at 70-80 mph both ways. Guess we got lucky. Oh well after 26,000 miles we have a new fuel pump. Car has been excellent so far. Would definitely buy another.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I have a stack of recall notices for my 2009 Corolla's passenger air bag. Razz In 12 years I might have had three or four people ride there.

I guess you assume that if it blows all the shrapnel will stay on that side of the car.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got a recall on the wifes new Lincoln, it had just turned 5000 miles, the dealer is 50 miles away. They drove to our house. dropped off a new Lincoln, take ours back for oil change and recall and then return it when done and take their new Lincoln back. Oh yeah and they washed it.

Service is a deciding factor when I purchase a car.

Posts: 423 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
What year was your Taco that was subject to the recall? Wondering if it might apply to my ‘03 work Taco or our ‘11 family Taco...

Mine is a 2019, but the recall covers 2017-2020 3rd gen Tacomas, as well as a bunch of other model Toyotas and Lexus. You're good to go on the 03 which I guess is a Gen 1 and the 11 is a Gen 2.

-D.H. Lawrence

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess you assume that if it blows all the shrapnel will stay on that side of the car.

That's awesome!

And for the love, how hard is it to get that replaced for the three or four people who do ride there from time to time?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Mine goes in on Saturday for the fuel pump replacement, should be quick and easy, the dealer I use is pretty quick to get them in and out.

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:

While inconvenient, I encourage you to get this fixed as soon as you can.

We got a little extra money when we sold our cars by showing all recall work was done. Also, you would feel bad if a friend or family member were riding with you when someone rams into you. If the airbags are faulty, they might get hurt.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
Mine goes in on Saturday for the fuel pump replacement, should be quick and easy, the dealer I use is pretty quick to get them in and out.

Mine took 4 1/2 hours, some of which was probably waiting for the work bay to open up and they did a nice wash job after which added some time as well as the porter bringing it to the front. The fuel pump is inside of the fuel tank, so it has to come down and although that's not rocket science, it does take a bit of doing. (the less gas in the tank the better) I don't think it's something you care to hang out in the waiting room for.

-D.H. Lawrence

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
quote:

Bob

Sitting very close to the steering wheel when the air bag goes off can cause burns to the drivers chest.

I saw the aftermath of such incident many years ago in TMC emergency unit. Short girl, close to steering wheel, treated for burns to chest after air bag deployed.

NO, they wouldn't let me see the actual damage.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
NavyGuy, glad all went well with the warranty work. We had a Nissan Pathfinder go in for a similar recall (requiring them to drop the tank), and we were not so lucky. Got the vehicle back and wife took it through a gas station to fill up (we delivered it to them almost empty to try and aid their work). When she started pumping gas, it ran out onto the ground under the vehicle. She called me and I went back to find the filler neck was never re-installed to the tank and she was running gas down it and onto hot mufflers and exhaust. Mad I gave her my truck to drive home and I returned to the dealership for a personal meeting with the GM in his office after which they reattached the filler neck, detailed the vehicle, and offered me a $1,500 credit toward any future work on the vehicle. Even after that, I'm still pissed about the experience. And people wonder why I don't want other people working on my cars.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a 2019 Toyota Highlander that we acquired new December of 2019. I had not owned or driven a Toyota except a family went to Australia for a year and had us keep their Highlander. This let me have an extensive test drive. I would run it each Friday. With that experience when time came to acquire a new vehicle we selected a Highlander SE-Plus-AWD. With a little under ten thousand miles we are delighted with it.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Received the recall notice, by mail, mid September on my 18 TRD off-road. Complained to the dealer, where I purchased three Tacos. They promptly supplied a loaner Camry that I kept 5.5 months until a new fuel pump was installed.
All is well
WTF took 5.5 months? No part?

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post