SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a "dumb" TV
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a "dumb" TV Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
We purchased a 55" Vizio TV when we moved in 2018. It is a "smart" TV and I absolutely hate it. It forces you to see Vizio ad content on startup and is now fairly laggy five years on.

I've dealt with it for five years, but now that my little kids are starting to watch things on it more some of the ad content is quite scary/evil looking in its imagery and I'm pretty much done with the stupid thing.

We almost only watch BluRay/DVD's and streaming that we select (Amazon Prime and Disney+). I figured I would buy a dumb TV and just attach an Apple TV or Firestick to it to get the functionality we want.

I went shopping for a 55" non-smart TV and they don't seem to exist. There seems to be one "commercial" Samsung which is "sort of dumb," but I'm not sure how good an option that is.

My parents have an old Samsung 55" Plasma that's in good shape (from when 1080P was cutting edge) that they aren't using. Would it be a mistake to try to use it?

What are the Sigforum thoughts?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4204 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
This is the new Samsung:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung...97-eb60747b8daf&th=1

...the old plasma would be free. It hasn't been plugged in for a year and a half, but was working well when they "upgraded" to a bigger smart TV when my dad decided he couldn't see the 55" anymore.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
FREE Samsung 55" Plasma...Sure, I like Free! What have you got to lose, especially if you're primarily watching movies & streaming! Plasma TVs are ideal for that usage, and display truer Blacks than a lot of LCD TVs. If it powers up, I'd set it up!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8961 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
A network-wide ad blocker may be a way better solution.

Posts: 45402 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
My Sony's settings menu provides the ability to easily turn off the tv's wifi capability. This effectively makes it a dumb tv which connects to the internet via my Apple streaming device.

Is the option to disconnect from the internet not available in the Vizio's settings menu?

Posts: 1268 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best buddy went to stay with his kids in S.D.

They get five different feeds and 409 channels .
Had three controllers.
The
Ten year old had to stay home with him to watch TV while the parents went away for the day.

On day four he could get what he wanted to play.

Came home that night

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
and is now fairly laggy five years on.

Make sure you have updated the firmware. Our Vizio was giving us trouble, updated the firmware, works like a charm now.

Posts: 2315 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
My parents have an old Samsung 55" Plasma that's in good shape (from when 1080P was cutting edge) that they aren't using. Would it be a mistake to try to use it?

I'd jump on the plasma, depending on the model, just be aware they are not very efficient and use a lot more power than your typical flat screen.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I have a Samsung non smart TV from around 2011 and it's all I've needed since then. It is just a 1080P model though. I've sometimes thought about upgrading to a 4K TV but I've only ever found them as Smart TVs. You're post made me do a search again and I found this blog that actually lists some dumb TV's that are 4K. I don't know how good these models actually are but here's the link if you want it.

8 Best Dumb (Non-Smart) TVs in 2023

Posts: 3391 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Well, my parents' old Samsung is a 50" (not 55") from 2008. It's a PN50A650 (if that means anything to anyone). It's 1080P and it's heavy (probably about 90lbs). It is free though...

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't know if anybody makes "dumb" TVs anymore. The last "dumb" TV I bought was the little 22 in. Samsung in the computer room. That was maybe 7-8 years ago?

The solution for de-fanging smart TVs is simply don't connect them to the network. Neither the LG in our family room nor the little Vizio in our living room are network-connected.

I do occasionally connect them to check for firmware updates, then they're disco'd again.

Or connect them, but, block their IP address at the Internet router. (Though then there'd be little point to connecting them, unless you had local network content, such as from a DLNA server, you wanted to access with them.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Don’t let it connect to the internet and it will be a dumb tv.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
It's not just the ability to connect to the internet and the features that are inherent to smart TV'a that I dislike. It is the interface that comes with it. I'm sure there are better interfaces available now but when I first saw a Smart TV I was turned off by the minimalist remote and having to scroll around an onscreen display to just switch inputs. It was so much easier to just have a button on the remote to do it.

Posts: 3391 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Don’t let it connect to the internet and it will be a dumb tv.

This is what I do. I have Sony TVs from Costco and I don’t ever plug them into the network. They sure try to convince you to do it when you set them up, but we use an AppleTV and a computer for stuff, not the TV.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
It's not just the ability to connect to the internet and the features that are inherent to smart TV'a that I dislike. It is the interface that comes with it. I'm sure there are better interfaces available now but when I first saw a Smart TV I was turned off by the minimalist remote and having to scroll around an onscreen display to just switch inputs. It was so much easier to just have a button on the remote to do it.

Get a programmable remote. Plenty of buttons. Make them whatever you want.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a programmable remote. Plenty of buttons. Make them whatever you want.

Not a solution from my point of view. Why should I have to spend extra money to use a TV?