SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prices of used cars!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prices of used cars!!! Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
But why?

I don’t understand this. It’s almost like the housing market, none of this makes any sense at all!

There are no cars, no inventory to speak of. New especially, but used as well. Basically if you find something, buy it because someone else will immediately.

The Mercedes dealer gave us $6500 for a 2007 Honda Pilot with 190k miles on the clock. Even if that number was artificially inflated by dealer incentive magic on the buy sheet, that's fucking insane. I asked if they were going to auction it and he said no!

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Same thing on the heavy truck side.
Nothing on the used lot and I've seen rigs that have been sitting forever that are pretty much junk getting snapped up.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spending money like it is going out of style. Maybe spending the dollar while it still has some value

Posts: 1407 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
I was researching the 2021 Suburban and wanted to see what my car was worth. I have a 2017 Suburban LT, with 60k on the odo. It's in pretty decent condition, I purchased from a Chevy dealer (friend was GM) in 2018 for $42k. It looks like they would give me $38k for it or $40k carmax. Apparently there's a chip shortages for new cars, making the preowned cars hold their values. Just couldn't pull the trigger on a $70k+ Suburban.

You paid $42K for it and they are willing to give you $40K now?

That's pretty tempting deal. I would at least explore the finance rate. If it came in real low, I would think about it.

The new 2021 body style are real nice. And speaking to people who owned 2015 to 2020, they say the ride on the 2021 is so much nicer.

Posts: 2311 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I just recently sold a 2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4 with 210k on it for $7500 private party. A year ago I would have been lucky to have gotten $4k. For its age it was in excellent shape, one owner, etc, but still...

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Holy!

I just checked the Kelly Blue Book value on my 2018 GMC Yukon Denali with 26,500 miles -- $60k - $62k trade-in value!

That's insane, if true. I paid $69,999 for it 3.5 years ago!!

Just a few months about it was worth about $48k on trade-in. I still have it but I might take this new-found appreciation in value and trade it in on a truck (which it appears there are several on lots here locally that I would want).

Pure insanity.

Posts: 5074 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I love my car, but I'm thinking (not so seriously) about biking into work for the next six months. It's only 5mi so I could do it in a half hour or less.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20832 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I am tempted to trade in my 2018 Forester XT with 37k on it for a new 4 Runner. Supposedly I can get 23k for it but I cannot find a 4wd 4 Runner I want, there are very few available.

Posts: 4122 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Great to read considering I was told two days ago that the engine on my 07 Sonata is blown and not worth repairing, meaning I'm gonna be in the market for a "new" vehicle soon Frown

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I sold my 2018 Ford F-150 Platinum today for $2,000 less than I paid for it. I saw no reason to keep it with these prices.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4234 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking at getting a 2nd car to drive and keep my truck. Did a quote with Carmax and they were offering almost 42k for it. Bought it NYE 2019 for around $45k. Sticker was $56K. Ended up getting the Honda dealer to match the trade and got about $3K off the sticker on a new Accord. Don't really use the truck anymore. Went from 16-17 mpg to around 32mpg.

Posts: 258 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Not in the market for anything but the discussion got me checking. My 2017 Lexus RC-F that I bought used with 452 miles on it now has a whopping 6,200 on it. I found another 2017 with 32,000 miles and fewer options (no carbon fiber package) listed for MORE than I paid for mine 2 years ago. At the same dealership that I bought mine from. Madness!

Not selling mine though - I just put a custom built exhaust on it and I'm having too much fun with it!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a 13 4Runner with just under 90k on it. Always dealer serviced. I keep telling my wife. Sell it now while value is strong and buy the new one you want. With the value of the used one could get a pretty major down payment on the new one.

Posts: 4776 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I decided to check. Bought a used 2015 Suburban LTZ in May 2018 for $30K. Exactly 3 years and 60K+ miles later the current Kelley Blue Book trade in value is $22K, which means the dealer would probably sticker it for close to $30K. That is crazy. I am not the type to buy new cars, but if I was ever tempted, I guess now would be the time.

Posts: 2311 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Get rid of it. Our 2017 Suburban with 62000 miles just had its AC die. Evidently a common problem and GM did extended coverage on it to.....60,000 miles. In 6 months there is going to be a flood of new cars, trucks and SUVs. Our Suburban had a deer induced side impact airbag inflation, so it's not exactly a hot commodity on the used circuit.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Holy!

I just checked the Kelly Blue Book value on my 2018 GMC Yukon Denali with 26,500 miles -- $60k - $62k trade-in value!

That's insane, if true. I paid $69,999 for it 3.5 years ago!!

Just a few months about it was worth about $48k on trade-in. I still have it but I might take this new-found appreciation in value and trade it in on a truck (which it appears there are several on lots here locally that I would want).

Pure insanity.

Well, Dave, look what you’ve done. This thread triggered me to check the value on my Yukon Denali and, one thing led to another, and less than 24 hours later I just bought a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 with the CarbonPro package (carbon fiber bed) and the 3.0L Duramax diesel.

I should get the keys on Thursday when it arrives on the lot.

They gave me $59k for my Denali. Just couldn’t say no.

Can’t wait for my new truck!

Posts: 5074 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I think this is pretty remarkable. I just received a letter from the “President” of the local Chevy dealer who wants to buy my Ford F150. I was supposedly given his “direct line,” to talk about selling them my truck “even if you don’t buy one from me.” He says their pre-owned inventory is severely understocked and they don’t want to source from the auction.

Posts: 13284 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I think this is pretty remarkable. I just received a letter from the “President” of the local Chevy dealer who wants to buy my Ford F150. I was supposedly given his “direct line,” to talk about selling them my truck “even if you don’t buy one from me.” He says their pre-owned inventory is severely understocked and they don’t want to source from the auction.

Drove by the Chevrolet dealer, where I worked in college, 2 times last weekend. I've never seen the lots so empty.

Toyota dealer down to street from them looks a lot more full, but it's predominantly preowned.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15357 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The Acura dealer, Lexus dealer and Porsche dealer by me have plenty of new cars.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34130 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post