SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    what about epipens. Please educate.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what about epipens. Please educate. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I would like some basic info. Have a frind who almost died from a bee string. Had not been allergic up to this sting. Should one have one handy just in case of an anaphylactic shock scenario?
How do you get, how expensive, how long are they good for, etc. the

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Need an Rx from doctor, out of pocket can run around $540 w/o insurance coverage (can be less with a discount card), generally shelf life is about a year when kept at room temp.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Answered in 1 response. Ain't this place great.

ORC - My wife found out exactly the same way and this is how it went down.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the out of pocket cost for the generic Epipens is absurd. It's inexcusable.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
A coworker has children with peanut and shellfish allergies so he explained them to me as follows.

They shouldn't be left in the car. Stores at room temp or a bit cooler if possible. Should still be safe up to 6 months after expiration date if they haven't turned cloudy. Look for discounts.

There are a couple of styles now. The traditional cylindrical stabby type and one shaped more like a betamax tape. The betamax style is newer and marketed toward being able to put in back pocket.

True a RX is needed, but in the event of an emergency any EpiPen will work for if available. Different sizes for adults and children.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I used to be allergic to bee stings and carried one for 10 or more years, then ceased to be allergic and I no longer carry one.

The insurance I had at the time paid all but a few dollars of the cost but today I imagine it'll cost a fortune.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The insurance I had at the time paid all but a few dollars of the cost but today I imagine it'll cost a fortune

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Weren't you the guy that supported Pharma Bro? Same thing happened with the Epipen until regulators stepped in. This drug has been around for ages and costs little to make the profits are going to the CEO and shareholders not to R & D.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Google "Manchin epipen scandal" to see why epipens are so damned expensive.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Bee sting allergies are often generated from being stung over the course of your life. Eventually your immune system overreacts.

Same for local plants/flora -hence “allergies”

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been stung by wasps several times. The first was a big nothing, but each one got progressively worse over the past 45-50 years.

I normally get two Epipens twice a year from the VA. The problem is that one cannot leave them in the heat as in one's car or outside in Florida's summer. Makes it a bit hard to have it with me, should I need it.

A friend's brother-in-law was outside working
(building a house IIRC), forgot his epipen, got stung and died before paramedics could get there.

Kinda scary.

Bob

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I have developed an allergy to stings over the years. Was stung a couple of weeks ago and had an allergic event. Mrs df gets epi-pens by virtue of her work. She had one in her emergency bag and stabbed me with it. May have saved my life. Never had a reaction like that before.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Yup… Can be one and done.

Anaphylaxis is no joke

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

Yeah, but it took nine minutes. Way too long.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Google "Manchin epipen scandal" to see why epipens are so damned expensive.

She threatened to sell direct and circumvent the Obamacare regional distribution middleman price gouging process and .gov sent the wolves at her

My sons mother worked for Dey Pharma all the way until the last layoffs a couple years ago. she was amazed at how difficult .gov made it to lower the prices and how much misinformation was released

check the company website, you may be able to get a coupon off of it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

Yeah, but it took nine minutes. Way too long.

Best I can do while at work... Wink

SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Yup…the epi-pen for adult dosage is 0.3 mg of epinephrine 1:1000…..the drug itself is cheap, your paying a ridiculous price for that auto-injector device but it does make it fool proof.
Health care professionals use the small glass ampule, break the top off….and with a seperate syringe and needle draw out 0.3 mg…..the entire ampule has 1.0 mg in it……not something anyone would want to attempt if they are the one having a reaction…so they are not available to general public or individual patients. Here’s the killer….that 1.0 mg ampule costs 3 dollars!
I used to order them and other meds for work

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... and when the expiry date comes around, don't throw the epipens out.

Use them for training, with an orange.
That's we would do; the kids have life threatening peanut allergies.

</chris>

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
FWIW, the out of pocket cost for the generic Epipens is absurd. It's inexcusable.

Only in this country Mad

Go anywhere else and it’s reasonable.

We get boned subsiding the rest of the world’s costs.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
Health care professionals use the small glass ampule, break the top off….and with a seperate syringe and needle draw out 0.3 mg….

I was an EMT during the fires of 1988 in Yellowstone. Got a call from the Park Service. One of the firefighters was allergic to bee stings and got stung. Grabbed an ER Doctor, and a case of the glass ampules. Stabbed epi about every 10 minutes on the 60 miles back to the hospital. She survived.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
good info guys. Thank you. In leiu of an epipen will benadryl help with an allergic reaction?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post