SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIGforum Brain Trust: Rain Suits?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIGforum Brain Trust: Rain Suits? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Not motorcycling, just walking around doing chores in the rain.

I have an LLBean two piece that has been good, but it's really showing it's age. I have no problem going with another, just thought I'd check here and see what anyone likes.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
LLBean

if its labeled ll bean its warranted for life

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
quote:
LLBean

Yes but it's been used and abused for something like 25 years and nothing lasts forever. I'm loath to take advantage of LLBean's good nature.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Frogg Toggs

Might not be the very best, but they're definitely the best value.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Frogg Toggs

Might not be the very best, but they're definitely the best value.

I actually picked up one of their jackets at a lumber yard on the "discontinued stock" rack. $15 which seemed reasonable.

Light, warm, definitely waterproof, but not very flexible. Dunno if washing it would help or not.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
What's your budget?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
quote:
LLBean

Yes but it's been used and abused for something like 25 years and nothing lasts forever. I'm loath to take advantage of LLBean's good nature.

I called them once to inquire about getting a pair of Wellingtons re-soled. I explained that the mid-sole had dry rotted from age. The customer service rep asked my name and zip, confirmed my address, then informed me the boots couldn't be re-soled, so they would be replaced. I tried to tell her no thank you, they were old and I had gotten my money's worth, but she would not take no for an answer.

I buy the majority of my clothes from Bean, and this is one reason why.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
quote:
LLBean

than buy LLbean if it last 25 yrs i wouldn't buck it

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Kuiu Teton
Have some on clearance
http://www.kuiu.com/outlet/

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25352 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frogg Toggs... good quality suit.

Columbia... very nice suit. This one is great for the bike, as it has vents to keep ya cool.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know Gander Mountain gets bad press as a LGS here, but I've found their Guide Series rain gear to be great quality at reasonable prices.

I own two sets, one packable the other not and have had both for years and have no complaints about either.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Stormr excellent rain gear. I use a pair of their water proof gloves when I go ice fishing. I've found nothing better.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
I don't have any current specific recommendations, but I would suggest searching for overruns made of Gore-Tex at http://www.sierratradingpost.com/.

https://www.rei.com/ would have good rain apparel, but that would be more expensive. This is the best rain hat on the market, Seattle Sombrero, but it would be "political" to explain why my pair of rain hats only cost $35 each a decade ago while the current price is $60 each.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
One more set from LL Bean ought to get you through. Be interesting to find out if they are still as good quality as the ones made 25 years ago.

Posts: 26851 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
https://www.rei.com/ would have good rain apparel, but that would be more expensive. This is the best rain hat on the market, Seattle Sombrero, but it would be "political" to explain why my pair of rain hats only cost $35 each a decade ago while the current price is $60 each.

LOL. Mrs.BurtonRW and I rely on these hats in Costa Rica during the rainy season. They can't be beat, and they look good, too.

OR was what I was thinking when I asked about his budget. I really like their Helium line, but it's pricey for sure.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Having looked at the various recommendations and considered how the gear will be used, I've pretty much decided to go back to Uncle LL for a replacement.