SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm raising money to fight firefighter cancer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm raising money to fight firefighter cancer Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
Para: If this isn't allowed, I apologize and please delete

Hey everyone,

I'm participating in the Boston Bruins Foundation's BFit Challenge which helps raise money for first responder charities. The one that my team is raising money for is the New England Firefighter Cancer Fund which is run by our state union. Any firefighter that raises the minimum amount is eligible for a blood test that tests for over 50 different types of cancer.

Last years fundraiser was able to fund ultrasound scans that checked various parts of the body for various issues. A friend of mine who is on the job and is only in his 20s found a lump in his neck which he just had removed. It wound up being benign however the doctor said there were some atypical cells and that if he had waited a year, it would have been cancer. Other members found heart and other issues early enough to allow them to be managed. So this fund is actually making active progress towards helping firefighters, as opposed to just collecting cash.

If anyone is able to donate, even if it is a dollar, it would be a huge help. At the minimum I want to thank you for your time reading this.

https://runsignup.com/Race/921...ion/jP3TR0j0OggeUIma

Thank you all in advance,
Ryan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ryan81986,

Posts: 6336 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that the event is on the 5th of February

Posts: 6336 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Done. Good luck.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Send me your mailing address

I'm in for $500

Posts: 53071 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Done also and Good luck!

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12400 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone! It really means a lot.

quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

I'm in for $500

Thank you so much!! Just sent you an email.

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Done. Thanks for doing this for our Brothers and Sisters.

One of the things I try to drive home to the newbs is "don't breath that crap, wash your hands when you get back and wash your gear"

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Done. Thanks for doing this for our Brothers and Sisters.

One of the things I try to drive home to the newbs is "don't breath that crap, wash your hands when you get back and wash your gear"

Thank you buddy I appreciate it. Yeah we're getting it from all angles now. First it was exhaust, then smoke, now even the gear is giving us cancer.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

I just want to make sure you got my email, it's been spotty lately. Thanks again!

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
My side of the fundraiser is up to $850 so far, thank you to everyone for all of your help!

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We'll give you a bit more exposure by adding a shortcut in the Office. Threads in that section remain visible longer on the first page.

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
We'll give you a bit more exposure by adding a shortcut in the Office. Threads in that section remain visible longer on the first page.

Thank you sir I really appreciate it!

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post

The challenge was a big success. Over $600k was raised in total for a number of charities. Myself and the other members of my team were able to get blood tests to screen for cancer as well.

Thank you so much to everyone that donated and Para for allowing this to be posted. It means a ton.