SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New therapy for those of us with seasonal anxiety disorders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New therapy for those of us with seasonal anxiety disorders Login/Join 
posted
I am one of those that get bent between the ears during the holidays.
Starts at Halloween stays till January 6th or so.

Anxiousness, unsettled, Debbie downer eventually,
poor attitude.

Well today while driving around on errands and waiting for Bonnie.

I might have figured out a partial solution

Shopping, not spending money needlessly as a substitution but
Watching those in the vicinity.

After seeing others with many more life challenges than me ,for four hours,
My perspective was improved 12 fold.

I saw four drivers who couldn't park their cars,
I watched a thief get caught shoplifting,

Three people at odds with their shopping partners.

Two people that couldn't find their cars

A cashier who had not been taught how to count back change.

A couple of people who had no more patience to offer.

So for those with my malady , Just watch the general public
For three hours.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
It always helps me to put my life into perspective.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite time of year since I slow down and spend more time with family. We only shop for the youngsters in the family so that makes it easy.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yes, you may have SAD, but there's a whole lot of peeps out there even sadder.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Insofar as possible, I just ignore the whole thing.

Thanksgiving dinner this year is something of an anomaly and I can pretty well guarantee it won't be the TV fantasy version on either end of the scale - The Waltons or National Lampoon.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Seeing other people's misery always makes me happy!

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
15 to 20 minutes a day under a sun lamp with greatly reduce your symptoms. My doc told me about it, and it works! Also, vitamin D capsules help.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I used to suffer from SAD, but it affected me somewhat differently than is typical. It'd hit me sometime in late fall to early winter, abate, then return, to a lesser degree, in late winter to early spring.

What cured me of it was a regular exercise routine.

And, possibly, chocolate? What Happens To Your Brain When You Eat Chocolate

Around the same time I joined a gym I started regularly enjoying a bit (and sometimes more than a bit) of chocolate in the evening. (Though I'm off the chocolate, right now, [along with any alcohol] for the sake of my diet. The gut's gotta go.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be clear,
Iam not saying I am better than the people Iam watching.

Just better off.
In a counting my blessings aspect.

And I have a June goal date for my weight loss, I hope to be back mowing the lawn again.
Knees and ankles permitting.

Perspective can do wonders.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Good advice.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No anxiety here as I avoid shopping after Halloween.
Grocery shopping I do but I start avoiding all the big stores. Walmart, Target, etc.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I’ve found the following to be helpful: Vit D3 sunlingual dissolving microtabs a few times a week, a SAD light on and shining at me as I’m getting ready in the morning, and a January or February week long trip to somewhere sunny and warm (Carribbean in particular).

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'd take your advice to watch the public for three hours, but between defunding the police and the effects of the holiday on local (?) driving habits I'd be taking my life in my hands if I drove my local streets to a place where I could watch the public for three hours.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Another version is to head over to your local courthouse and watch the criminal calendar. I’d suggest your local city court as the felony calendar can be stressful. But city court or misdemeanor court, that will give you some perspective too.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Support groups—wherever the topic—seem to improve peoples’ attitudes because they look around the room and hear stories that make their own problems mild by comparison.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I saw four drivers who couldn't park their cars.

Didn't watch long enough to see the fifth person park? Big Grin

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
...stays till January 6th or so.
HAHAHA!!! I see what you did there, whether intentional or a happy coincidence. Big Grin

As to your post, I'm right there with you. I absolutely LOATHE the holidays. I would MUCH rather work on Thanksgiving (finished a trip yesterday morning around noon) and Christmas. I'm sick of the fanfare, crazy spending, and EVERYTHING secular that goes along with it. Unfortunately, I got Christmas off this year and I didn't even bid to have it off...was hoping to get a trip over Christmas so some other pilot could have it off and enjoy Christmas with his/her kids and family.

Yup...gonna be in a dour mood until about 6-JAN. Razz

p.s. and THEN I have a b'day to contend with. I friggin' HATE my b'day!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am one of those that get bent between the ears during the holidays.
Starts at Halloween stays till January 6th or so.

Anxiousness, unsettled, Debbie downer eventually,
poor attitude.

Well today while driving around on errands and waiting for Bonnie.

I might have figured out a partial solution

Shopping, not spending money needlessly as a substitution but
Watching those in the vicinity.

After seeing others with many more life challenges than me ,for four hours,
My perspective was improved 12 fold.

I saw four drivers who couldn't park their cars,
I watched a thief get caught shoplifting,

Three people at odds with their shopping partners.

Two people that couldn't find their cars

A cashier who had not been taught how to count back change.

A couple of people who had no more patience to offer.

So for those with my malady , Just watch the general public
For three hours.

Wal-Mart? LOL

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
BB61 is right. Go sit in court for the day and it will definitely take your mind off things for a while.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post