SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone use Nextdoor?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone use Nextdoor? Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I was suspended before I could cancel.

quote:
Originally posted by Wyatt_jr:
I tried it for a week or two and my comments were censored. I wasn't trolling! It was worse than youtube.
I deleted my account.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It's a soapbox for Karens.

Bunch of people freaked because a black bear was spotted in the neighborhood.

One dude was really trolling them. Said he feeds the bear, the bear loves belly rubs, he has trained the bear to perform with a hula hoop. Karens were shocked.

I looked at his profile. He likes guns and bacon. Sounds like a SIGforum dude? Any of you guys live in Country Creek (gated community where I live)?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30701 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much the same experience as posted above. Mostly absolute morons. I did recently find a guy to do a minor roof repair recommended on there and he turned out to be fantastic.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I have had it for a few years. Very few Karens but a few. One implant commie tried complaining about guns shooting near her house... she got ROASTED by about 50 replies telling her she should go back to where she came from.

Mostly lost / found pets. And lost / found packages, about one a week of those.

They repeat Amber alerts.

Occasionally get suspicious cars or person reports witch is a good thing.

I guess the quality of the app depends hugely on the character of the neighborhood. I figured hoe to turn off the notices form other then local.

A Nextdoor fail...
A few years ago two convicts escaped and killed two guards and led the police on a wild chase ending in a shootout and the escapees fleeing into the woods... it was ended 5 miles from my house, a pretty rural area, -by a home owner- who held them at gun point for the cops. Apparently they gave up only after they ran out of ammo.

Anyway... A Nextdoor member was listening to the whole thing on his scanner...
Thing is the idiot didn't relay the info until after it was over! Roll Eyes

I was outside working in the yard... unarmed... at the time... I let him know in a fairly stern way that this was an ideal time to have used his Nextdoor app to broadcast the info... Geez I would have liked to have known.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wyatt_jr:
I tried it for a week or two and my comments were censored. I wasn't trolling! It was worse than youtube.
I deleted my account.

I got booted off after about a week.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30412 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbor 2 doors down is an arborist/ landscape shrub removal guy. I have used him when I needed a tree removed. His wife runs the books and they advertise on Facebook as well as next door. Next door is high concentrated to my small town (suburb next county over from Pensacola) not sure if they advertise in Pcola as well, never asked. But I get their ads for my neighborhood. Also not sure how Facebook algo picks up and shows me but I assume is based off proximity via ISP or other data Facebook has mined. He is always busy with non emergency tree removals being booked out several days to weeks out so it must be worthwhile. All I can offer.

Posts: 4776 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I lasted about 1 week. It's worse than Facebook.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
The vast majority of the posts I see on ND are what I would describe as your target audience. People looking for, or recommending, contractors. Painters, house cleaners, electricians, plumbers, etc...

I rarely ever go on the site any more, mostly to look in the classifieds.

Posts: 5764 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Seemed like a good idea. No.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Nextdoor is like Craigslist in that its usefulness will vary widely depending on your area.
Nextdoor is like Facebook in that you have to filter out a lot of worthless info to get to the useful stuff.

If you have a small business, then Nextdoor (at least in my locality) is excellent for word-of-mouth referrals. It is not worth paying to advertise on. If you're a Bob Vila type handyman, you could make a living off referrals and responding to posts on Nextdoor. You could work as much or as little as you want. I've made a few bucks doing relatively easy things, such as hanging curtains and assembling furniture & bicycles.

Yes, Nextdoor is full of Karens, nosy neighbors, lost pets, and posts about animals. I set my parameters carefully to avoid most of that. Things that I find useful:
  • Criminal activity posts, especially when people post Ring footage of thieves & prowlers.
  • If my trash hasn't been picked up, or the water isn't running, I can find out if others in my neighborhood are experiencing the same and when service will resume.
  • When I want to give something away, Nextdoor is a good app to use, and it will usually be picked up quickly.
  • The classifieds section is a buyer's market. I've picked up some good deals through it, e.g., a sight pusher.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard about it and thought it might be okay, so I signed up for it and lasted only a short time. No, not booted off, I just deleted the bookmark and never returned.

Yuck!

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Actually it the best place to reply:
LMGTFY - Let Me Google That For You
https://lmgtfy.app/#gsc.tab=0
For all those people find it more convenient to bother others with stupid questions rather than to Google it themselves.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8366 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Wifey has it and loves the info and location of porch pirates, mail thieves and ebike teenagers kicking on house door and then speeding off.

I had it and dumped it for idiots.

I have the Ring system for cameras and it's the same dumb ass people who sometime cross post. Had a man post of photo of a coyote in a neighborhood and exclaim, "Watch out! There's a wolf on the loose." There have never been wolves within 1,000 miles of here.

But he insisted it was a wolf. Sigh...

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
A thirty some friend of mine reads it for entertainment.

It's been GREAT entertainment in my neighborhood. I kinda miss the local jackass -- his rants were fascinating. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13507 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
In my area it is the largest free for all gathering space for the worst kind of hand wringing bitch ass karen/ and man Karens I have ever came across. Totally infuriating every time I happen to glance at the app.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2246 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I use it here in Catalina area. It’s on and off with bullshit postings. I get a kick out of the Karens going back and forth arguing about trivia. I still look at it daily for restaurant tips and general goings on.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Everything 'cparkdt' said. I thought it would be nice to have insight on crime in the area. I get notification on crimes a day or more later.

I like the idea of helping pets getting home but then I have to listen to Karens tell everyone pets should not be outside. I usually jump in and tell her my formerly feral cat that may sleep on me at night, does not understand the concept of being imprisoned indoors.
That mostly shuts them up.
But mostly it's a waste of time.

Got a notification today from a neighborhood no where near me.

Posts: 7364 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been a Nextdoor Lead for about 10 years. At first, it was a good site for recommendations, police info (one city has a coordinator, the other doesn't), and general local info. The site's gone downhill in the last 5 years. I've stopped signing in for the last two years.

As noted, some people believe it's the best place to complain about anything. I'll get a minimum of 6 complaints a day for mostly a disagreement yo a posting. As a Lead, you can decide to let it go, but you run into the possibility that the Nextdoor gods in San Francisco will tell you that your decision was incorrect, read their rules, and don't do it again in the future. That works if you want your 'neighborhood' to have a SF vibe, but I tried to explain to them that South Florida is way different to no avail.

A while back, a neighbor asked if they could be a Lead and I said no because she was vindictive, petty, and disliked by the other neighbors. Couple of weeks later, Nextdoor tells me that 'someone' complained of my actions and recommended I be replaced. Nextdoor wouldn't tell me who it was (I wanted to resolve whatever issue it was), so I let them know I knew who it was and why the complaint. I implied, in a nice way, I'd raise holy hell if I was replaced. I also reminded them I was a Lead from the beginning and this would set a very bad precedent. The issue went away.

Nextdoor was a good idea when it started, but it's no longer what it was. Micro-management by the SF techies with their CA-centered mindset, the piling on of Karens, and alternatives like Facebook groups have pretty much doomed the site.

I wouldn't recommend the site. JMO.

Posts: 78 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPinesRon:
I've been a Nextdoor Lead for about 10 years. At first, it was a good site for recommendations, police info (one city has a coordinator, the other doesn't), and general local info. The site's gone downhill in the last 5 years. I've stopped signing in for the last two years.

As noted, some people believe it's the best place to complain about anything. I'll get a minimum of 6 complaints a day for mostly a disagreement yo a posting. As a Lead, you can decide to let it go, but you run into the possibility that the Nextdoor gods in San Francisco will tell you that your decision was incorrect, read their rules, and don't do it again in the future. That works if you want your 'neighborhood' to have a SF vibe, but I tried to explain to them that South Florida is way different to no avail.

A while back, a neighbor asked if they could be a Lead and I said no because she was vindictive, petty, and disliked by the other neighbors. Couple of weeks later, Nextdoor tells me that 'someone' complained of my actions and recommended I be replaced. Nextdoor wouldn't tell me who it was (I wanted to resolve whatever issue it was), so I let them know I knew who it was and why the complaint. I implied, in a nice way, I'd raise holy hell if I was replaced. I also reminded them I was a Lead from the beginning and this would set a very bad precedent. The issue went away.

Nextdoor was a good idea when it started, but it's no longer what it was. Micro-management by the SF techies with their CA-centered mindset, the piling on of Karens, and alternatives like Facebook groups have pretty much doomed the site.

I wouldn't recommend the site. JMO.

Thank you. I had no idea that there were local moderator-types.

Sounds like most of the business that I would get from this app would be headache inducing customers. I think I’m going to dump the account altogether.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Nextdoor is garbage. In my area they're renowned for giving only one side of the story while lambasting whoever the target of the week is, and then moving on once they've satisfactorily smeared an individual or business.

I've not been their target, but I've seen it enough to recognize that a large percentage (IMO, and in this area) are stay at home or part time individuals who apparently need to generate drama in their whitebread lives at someone else's expense.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post