SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do you want for your birthday?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you want for your birthday? Login/Join 
posted
I dread this question. Birthdays were never a big thing for my family when I was growing up and I generally buy anything I need. However, my birthday is in a few weeks and my wife is about one step away from waterboarding me for an answer.

So I pose the question to you, what do you want for your birthday?

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be left alone and not reminded of it. Took the better part of 20 years, but my girlfriend finally went along with my wishes this year.

Her birthday is this week, and I got her something she has wanted since the Cubs won the World Series, a Rizzo jersey.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Mine is approaching too.

I'd be happy with a meal with my wife and kiddos and a cake with some candles for my 6yo to help blow out. A weekend getaway with them would be even better.

Otherwise, I don't need anything. She always surprises me with something though.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
tell her you want her to be your unquestioning sex slave for 24 hours...

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
tell her you want her to be your unquestioning sex slave for 24 hours...

Whelp... thanks for making me spew Dr Pepper all over my shirt haha

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
A pie, whiskey, and to sleep in until 6am.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cash.

Gift cards would also be acceptable.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peace and quiet. When we first bought our house money was tight so we decided that we would buy stuff for the kids but not each other. Then I told the kids that I had everything that I needed except time together. So that took the pressure off. Now my son sends me a card and my wife and I share a steak dinner that I cook on the grill and just enjoy each other's company.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My kids make me cards. Homemade. Even though they think they are way too old for that, they still do. My wife details the inside of my car. So at least once a week, the trail dirt and salt chunks of winter get vacuumed up.

My wife and I used to do fancy restaurants, filets, wine. Now we go to a mid-scale place for great burgers and good beer, but it's the whole family. And I like that way better!

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
I always get a gift card from my favorite LGS. I'd prefer nothing, but she insists on getting me something.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Give a reasonable answer. A Sig X6 would be a bit much. However, a pair of magazines with a matching dual magazine pouch for your next shooting competition would be perfect.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
I will turn 50 in August. Griling out and a cold beer would be fine with me.
She wans to have a party, I've asked her not to. I guess we will see.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1090 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Amazon gift cards for my Kindle library.

For my birthday and all other occasions.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem as the OP. My birthday is in a few days, and my wife always hounds me about what I want. This year though I just told her I want either a nice night out with her or maybe a weekend at a lake somewhere in a rented cabin or something.

That's easy enough. The problem is her parents. Every birthday and Christmas I have to tell them what I want. I just never really know what to tell them. I always greatly appreciate it though. They always manage to get me something I can use. Which reminds me that I still have to give them an idea. Crikey.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were in a similar mindset for several years, never really knowing what to get each other. But now it's our kids who get to choose our presents.

My b-day was on the 16th and our kids each picked out a card and gift...gotta love the mind of 9 year old twins. Daughter got me/us a movie and son a board game we all love to play. Their excitement in me opening the presents was the real gift for me.

The wife simply said, "There's $$$ waiting for you to buy something or put towards something in the future...your choice."

So that's what we do - we give the option of buying something we want now or down the road. That got her a new Schuberth C3 Pro helmet earlier this year for her b-day and will get me a new set of headers for the HD.

But in all honesty, just spending time with the family is all I really want.

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer1967:
I will turn 50 in August. Griling out and a cold beer would be fine with me.
She wans to have a party, I've asked her not to. I guess we will see.

Japanese lanterns, leis, and silly cone-shaped hats? Why not. Sounds like a great memory.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
More birthdays.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
A time machine.

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I always buy my own gift. This years a G43 with all the trimmings (family got lots of the trimmings for me).

I hate big parties and the annoying as fuck nephew and his mom, who always comes to hog on the cake and leave early, but I finally convinced the family that it was only immediate family this year (and forevermore).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post