SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HELP Binoculars...Quality vs. Cost
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP Binoculars...Quality vs. Cost Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a particular reccomendation but want to pass along something I learned several years ago in one of my biophysic classes.

Due to the geometry of the human eye the best lens size for gathering the available light is one that is 5 times the magnifying power of the glass.
So for instance if you want an 8x binocular the most effective ones will have a 40 mm objective lense. Any larger is of no benefit and any less is not able to gather all the available light..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6335 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Re: “Any larger is of no benefit”

It would benefit folks whose pupils are larger than the 5mm average.

And would have a minor benefit for folks with an average size pupil. Specifically, the binocular exit pupil wouldn’t have to be exactly centered on the eye pupil to get full brightness.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9004 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post