SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NCAA Football Rivalry Saturday - The Iron Bowl, The Game, etc.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NCAA Football Rivalry Saturday - The Iron Bowl, The Game, etc. Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
Decorum Request - please don't thread shit. If all you have to contribute is something akin to "I don't watch football" then move along.

Some of the longest standing rivalries in college football are reserved for the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Who do y'all think will win? Are you brave enough to say whether or not a team covers the spread?

• The Game: #2 The Ohio State Buckeyes at #6 University of Michigan Wolverines - Noon eastern time on Fox. The Buckeyes are favored by 7 points and have won 17 out of the last 20 match-ups. Michigan's coach Harbaugh has 0 wins against tOSU as coach but was 2-0 as starting QB back in the 80s. Buckeyes win and cover.
  • Governor's Cup: #1 Georgia Bulldogs at Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets - noon eastern time on SEC network. The bulldogs are favored by 35 points. Bulldogs win but don't cover.
  • Sunshine Showdown: Florida State Seminoles at Florida Gators - noon eastern time on ESPN. The Gators are favored by 3 points. Gators win and cover.
  • The Iron Bowl: #3 Alabama Crimson Tide at Auburn Tigers - 3:30 eastern time on CBS. Alabama is favored by 20.5. Crimson Tide win but don't cover.
  • Platypus Trophy: Oregon State Beavers at #11 Oregon Ducks - 3:30 eastern time on ESPN. The Ducks are favored by 7. Ducks win and cover.
  • The Old Oaken Bucket: Indiana University Hosers at Purdue University Boilermakers - 3:30 eastern time on FS1. My Boilermakers are favored by 15. A win today would be the best season for the Boilermakers since 2007. Purdue wins and covers.
  • Paul Bunyan's Axe: #14 Wisconsin Badgers at Minnesota Golden Gophers - 4:00 eastern time on Fox. The Badgers are favored by 7. Badgers win and cover.
  • Bedlam Bell: #10 Oklahoma Sooners at #7 Oklahoma State Cowboys - 7:30 eastern time on ABC. The Cowboys are favored by 4.5. Cowboys win and cover.
  • Palmetto Bowl: #23 Clemson Tigers at South Carolina Gamecocks - 7:30 eastern time on SEC network. The Tigers are favored by 11.5. Gamecocks pull off the upset.

Apologies for any rivaly games I didn't list. Feel free to add them and make a predictions.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Jack of All Trades,
    Master of Nothing
    Picture of 2000Z-71
    posted Hide Post
    The Territorial Cup - University of Arizona vs. The Trade School in Tempe, today at noon. The oldest trophy in college football.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bigdeal
    posted Hide Post
    Well, the natives at FSU and UF couldn't make it onto the field at the start of the game without erupting into a big fight. I guess when you suck as bad as both these two teams do this year, you opt to fight instead of trying to play football. Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
    Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Crusty old
    curmudgeon
    Picture of Jimbo54
    posted Hide Post
    Our big state rivalry game was played yesterday. WSU Cougars vs the Washington Huskies in the Apple Cup. The cougs won 40-13 in a blowout. It was their first win in 7 try's and the first in Seattle since God make dirt. Made my day. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Well, the natives at FSU and UF couldn't make it onto the field at the start of the game without erupting into a big fight. I guess when you suck as bad as both these two teams do this year, you opt to fight instead of trying to play football.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Good to see! Did Osceola get in the fight?

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
    The oldest trophy in college football.
    Interesting they started the trophy in their first match-up in 1899. Not the longest rivalry playing today but others were late to the game on trophy, lost trophies, or political correctness made them change trophy. Older rivalries playing today:
  • MN - WI first played 1890 but trophy was 1948. Original trophy started in 1930 but disappeared in 1943.
  • Purdue - IU first played 1891 but trophy was 1925
  • Iron Bowl first played 1893 but 1948 trophy
  • GA - GA Tech first played 1893 but 1994 trophy
  • OR - OR St first played 1894 but 1959 trophy. Lost for 40 years and reinstated 2007.
  • Clemson - SC first played 1896 but trophy didn't start until 1980
  • The Game first played 1897 but no trophy

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Hats off to UofM. They came out strong, their o-line dominated, their RB had the game of his life, the d-line put tons of pressure on QB, and their DBs locked down tOSU's vaunted receivers.

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
    posted Hide Post
    Hail to the Victors
    Michigan did it!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Hold Fast
    Picture of Butch 2340
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Governor's Cup: #1 Georgia Bulldogs at Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets - noon eastern time on SEC network. The bulldogs are favored by 35 points. Bulldogs win but don't cover.

45-0

******************************************************************************
    Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Bucks fan but I placed a bet against them today. Bet with your brain not your heart.
    Law of averages caught up today and it was Michigan's time.
    Sad but at almost 1K I made, I'm not that heartbroken.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Cal rolled Stanfurd last weekend so I'm happy. Looking forward to the rest of today's games.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
    The Territorial Cup - University of Arizona vs. The Trade School in Tempe, today at noon. The oldest trophy in college football.

Cats down 5 at the half; they shouldn’t have a chance against the Scum Devils, but stranger things have happened.

I am certainly no fan of Meeshegun (Ohio State either for that matter), but I guess it’s nice that the Wolverines won one

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Shaql
    posted Hide Post
    Cleanest pic I could find:

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
    Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
    Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Expert308
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Hats off to UofM. They came out strong, their o-line dominated, their RB had the game of his life, the d-line put tons of pressure on QB, and their DBs locked down tOSU's vaunted receivers.

This is why I never bet on rivalry games. 2nd half notwithstanding, it was a fun game to watch. Congrats to the Wolverines and good luck next week! Our own rivalry game, Oregon vs OSU, is nearing the end now. Not going the right way. Dammit.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Rooting for Auburn, and Okie State.

Posts: 3595 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    If you aren’t watching Alabama/Auburn, you should be

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    The Game: #2 The Ohio State Buckeyes at #6 University of Michigan Wolverines - Noon eastern time on Fox. The Buckeyes are favored by 7 points and have won 17 out of the last 20 match-ups. Michigan's coach Harbaugh has 0 wins against OSU as coach but was 2-0 as starting QB back in the 80s. Buckeyes win and cover.

That was a very exciting game but alas Michigan won.
    Wasn't rooting for anyone but really enjoyed the action. Smile

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Great Iron Bowl. Till the last play. Hell of a game, both defenses played lights out.

The Bulldogs are gonna kill Bama next week in the SEC Championship game.

War Eagle!

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Festina Lente
    Picture of feersum dreadnaught
    posted Hide Post
    Navy-Army game is 12/11. As always, expect Navy to win. Based on records, might be a long Dark Ages for the mids.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Crusty old
    curmudgeon
    Picture of Jimbo54
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Herkdriver:
    Great Iron Bowl. Till the last play. Hell of a game, both defenses played lights out.

The Bulldogs are gonna kill Bama next week in the SEC Championship game.

War Eagle!

I didn't have skin in the game but that was a hell of a football game. More like a war than a game.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post