SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why is my liquid hand soap watery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is my liquid hand soap watery Login/Join 
posted
I have a counter top mounted pump dispenser. The hand soap has been turning watery and will not lather properly. We use/refill the soap on a regular basis so its not old. Is this simply a matter of the soap settling and separating? The dish soap which is in the same type of dispenser is fine.

The reservoir is too difficult to access on a regular basis to give the soap a shake.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, mixing brands of liquid hand soap causes the water within the soap to separate. Next time remove dispenser, clean and dry, go with whatever brand you like.

Awake not woke

Posts: 566 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reservoir is too difficult to access on a regular basis to give the soap a shake.

Pro tip - pull the plunger out and refill from the top with a funnel or just good aim. Just go slow, and most definitely do NOT overfill or you'll have a mess. Even if only filling 75%, still easier and less time than rummaging around under sink.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Pro tip - pull the plunger out and refill from the top with a funnel or just good aim. Just go slow, and most definitely do NOT overfill or you'll have a mess. Even if only filling 75%, still easier and less time than rummaging around under sink.

This ain't my first rodeo. I always refill from the top.

I do mix different brands together. I guess I'll try to stick with one brand from now on. No way am I climbing underneath the cabinet to clean it out every time I refill.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I quit using my in-counter soap dispenser. Too hard to fill completely without causing a hard-to-clean overflow. Instead, I use a free standing bottle with a plunger type pump.

As an aside, I use Dawn for damned near everything – dishes, hand soap, shower soap, shampoo. Greatly simplifies my life. I do use Tide for laundry soap.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dawn for damned near everything – dishes, hand soap, shower soap, shampoo.

My MIL put that in a dishwasher once. Pure genius. That took a minute to clean up all the bubbles all over the kitchen a couple feet deep.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Muleman244
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nosticks:
Believe it or not, mixing brands of liquid hand soap causes the water within the soap to separate. Next time remove dispenser, clean and dry, go with whatever brand you like.

This, I added an off-brand soap to a Dial dispenser that was not quite empty and it went watery by morning

---------------------------------------
NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 236 | Location: Grifton, NC USA | Registered: September 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Dawn for damned near everything – dishes, hand soap, shower soap, shampoo.

My MIL put that in a dishwasher once. Pure genius. That took a minute to clean up all the bubbles all over the kitchen a couple feet deep.....

I should’ve mentioned that I always wash my dishes by hand – never use my Miele dishwasher. I do run it empty every few weeks to keep its seals lubricated.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
It has dihydrogen oxide contamination.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31383 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My mother in law just filled up our half used bottles of hand soap with a different brand. Now, as you said, what comes out feels like water and doesn't foam up on your hands. She went back to FL and now I'm going to buy all new dispensers.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post