SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My patient made me shed tears for him yesterday.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My patient made me shed tears for him yesterday. Login/Join 
posted
I am in the last three months of my BSN/RN program and was doing a 12 hour clinical in ICU. I was assigned an older gentleman with an terminal illness in severe pain. All the pain meds caused constipation and he has not had a bowel movement in 10 days. Despite this he still communicated with me through all the pain and everything I had to do to him yesterday.

When I finally got him comfortable I asked what he did for a career as a young man. He was a retired Senior Chief Petty Officer with 26 years of service. I leaned in close to him and told him we both had something in common. I too am a retired Senior Chief and it was my honor to take care of a shipmate. I asked if there was anything else I could do to make him more comfortable and he said please give me something to kill me. I am in so much pain and want to die. I just about lost it. We both had tears. I spent 24 years as a Hospital Corpsman and saw some terrible things in Iraq and Afghanistan and have never felt the way I did when he made that statement. I cannot lie, there was a part of me that wished I could have help this Sailor end his suffering. At the end of the day he was happy to be cared for by a fellow CPO in his last few days. I called him Senior for the rest of the day and I could see in his eyes that made him feel proud and rest a little bit easier. It was an honor to care for a man who gave so much time to his country.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Thank you and well done.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
God Bless you both.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19257 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Doc,
I heard a similar story from my corpsman son. Tore him up.
Prayers for all concerned.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16266 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Nice work. Thank you for doing that.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's tough.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19734 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Great work, Shipmate. The world needs more compassion.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4242 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Wow, corpsman. Great job taking care of the Senior Chief. Good on you mate.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3770 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
This story literally put tears in my eyes. Thank you for what you do. I hope your senior chief finds fair winds and following seas.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Great job giving the SCPO some dignity in his troubles. You’re a good egg, Doc.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11312 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Thank you for being there for him.

Posts: 7388 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
We all need more people in our lives with your compassion and ability to give dignity to those going through struggles in their lives. Thank you.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5363 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the world works in wondrous ways - terrible at times but wondrous as well - a chance crossing of two lives that will forever impact you both. No treatments, no medicines can ever treat a down and out person as well as a compassionate, genuine person

Wishing him all the best, hoping he finds peace and comfort, his days filled with as compassionate a person as you - thank you

Its a terrible shame we cannot allow dignity in death as some other places do - I am an adamant supporter in allowing a persons right to choose the way in which they depart this mortal coil.

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Destiny shone upon both of you.

Posts: 7494 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Well done Sir.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
He (and you) is in my thoughts. Good luck to him.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Well done, Doc.

Semper-Fi

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12356 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for providing him with much needed compassion and respect.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing Doc. Keep on keeping on; we’re grateful and proud.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent story thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3937 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post