SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lawn Tractor recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawn Tractor recommendation Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I bought a Toro LX460 lawn tractor about 10 years ago new. No real problems, I just replaced a steering part, no big deal. Other than that problem free.
I cut the lawn and plow snow with it.

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Transmission is most important element determining longevity. Engines usually outlast trans.

This is probably the best entry grade that I'd even consider but it is over his budgest at MSRP of $ 3,399.00. You could probably get it for 200 less maybe in season.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/p...s/ts348xd/960430242/ 

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
If he is Only Mowing... There is no Lawn tractor in that price range for mowing that much. I would recommend a Zero Turn mower. Toro or similar.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9075 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flyboyrv6
posted Hide Post
I got a Husqvarna 54” zero turn at end of season 7 years ago for $2400. I mow 5 acres and it worked well with normal maint. (Blades) until this season when the stamped deck hangers broke. Welded them and it back to working as before. Next time I definitely would get a fabricated deck and the higher end models with maintainable hydrostatic transmissions are a good idea.

Posts: 828 | Registered: January 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we moved into our current home, I needed something that could mow just under 2 acres. Money was tight, so I ended up buying a used John Deere GT 275 garden tractor. It came with a 54"mower deck, a 42" snow plow blade and a 42" snow blower attachment. Got it all for $2100. Its been working like a champ. This was in 2012.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just checked , in our area the used riding lawn mowers for that size yard are $3,800.00

now I am thinking some sheep are his best bet

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54689 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: my buddy finally landed on a Cub Cadet XT1. $1900. Thanks all for the suggestions. We'll see how it works out long-term.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16382 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmorris
posted Hide Post
I have been down the riding mower road before. They are very slow and very prone to failure (most of them are all made by MTD, just different plastic and names, that’s why they all suffer the same problems), that’s the good part. The bad part is you are sitting right above the things that are throwing grass everywhere.

We use real tractors at our farm but only have 5 acres at home that I mow. I didn’t want to blow zero turn money on one and while faster than a rider, are pretty rough if your ground isn’t nice and smooth. I wound up finding a 60” Swisher for $600 on Craigslist and pull it behind a 4 Wheeler, that I use otherwise for fun activities year round.

All the debris is well behind you, the ride is smoother than any zero turn or riding mower by so far it’s not even comparable and it only takes one hand to operate. It’s also about 3 times faster than the riding mower but not as tight around trees or other objects.

That’s what I built this for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edG45KTbxkE

Posts: 481 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:
Transmission is most important element determining longevity. Engines usually outlast trans.

This is probably the best entry grade that I'd even consider but it is over his budgest at MSRP of $ 3,399.00. You could probably get it for 200 less maybe in season.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/p...s/ts348xd/960430242/ 

I have this mower and I am very happy with it. I looked at a lot of them and the engine, locking rear diff and fabricated deck are hard to beat at that price.

JC

Posts: 1273 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post