SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, how many times have you watched "A Christmas Story"... :)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, how many times have you watched "A Christmas Story"... :) Login/Join 
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Have never seen it.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1735 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Never all the way through....not a bad movie just didn't grab me.

Same with Big Lebowski (sp)

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Since it first came out in 83 or when it was first broadcast on TV as I made a VCR tape of it. And at least a few times each Christmas since. Until it started being shown 24-7 on Christmas eve and day. So now it's just background noise.

Posts: 4444 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Once.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12924 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
About once a year; Santa bootfacing Ralphie down the slide while slow-ho-ho’ing is my favorite scene.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15788 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Probably 30 times. One of my favorites.

Posts: 5082 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Duke of Detroit
posted Hide Post
I saw it once. that was enough.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas

Posts: 1047 | Location: Detroit, MICHIGAN | Registered: May 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
it's a decent, funny movie,

you should sit back, have beverage and give it a watch,
I know this film is loved by many people, but it just doesn't interest me. Some day, perhaps.

Watch it, I double dog dare ya! LOL

I've watched it through several times, mostly now it's on as background during family events and get glimpses of the movie, key scenes will stop me in my tracks

Posts: 24203 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I have never seen it.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
20 times probably, saw it when it was first released in 1983, I was 9 at the time. Loved it.

Cannot wait to watch with my 4 and 6 year old hooligans.

When I was a kid, I thought the kids made the movie great. As an adult I realized that the parents Melinda Dillon and Darren McGavin were the true gems of that film.

Posts: 3218 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I’ve never watched the whole thing. Just bits.
Been by the house and seen where it was filmed more times than seen parts of the film. I have to admit it’s a Cleveland favorite.
I just keep thinking the father is NightStalker.
Wonderful Life and Miracle I watch every time I can.
I wonder how much it cost to buy Wonderful Life’s rights? Must be one that got away from Ted Turner.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I had to look it up to see what movie it is so there is your answer.

I've heard a few of the phrases mentioned but that is it. I'm sure it is a great movie, just not my thing

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I first saw it on HBO in the early 90's during the summer. I am sure it is well over 100.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Probably 10-12 times but it's been quite a few years since I've seen it.

Still get kinda of sad when the dogs get to the turkey. Big Grin

Posts: 13289 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Jean Shepherd was a regular in "Playboy" back in the day and I loved his stuff. I knew the stories before the movie and growing up in the Chicago area, it clicked for sure. It's been on a million times here even if I'm not paying attention.

But it's not like it couldn't be tweaked Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8536 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
https://www.daisy.com/product/...-ryder-shooting-kit/

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3487 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Literally dozens. Dozens of times. Sometimes for the purposes of sitting with someone who has never seen it.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
At least 20 times.

It's one of the three movies I have to watch at this time of year or else I feel like I've missed out, with the other two being "Elf", and "Miracle on 34th Street" ('47 version with Maureen O'Hara, Edmund Gwenn and Natalie Wood).

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've never seen this film all the way through. It's a bit after my time. When it came out, I was in bars, dating, staying out late, all those things a young man does, or did, at least, when I was that age.

I'm familiar with the pop culture references- "You'll shoot your eye out" and "Fra-gee-lee" but that's about it.

Respectfully, you say it was a little after your time, but I suspect it might have been a little before. Sure, it's a funny family film, but the way Shepherd narrates his story gives it a sort of Garrison Keillor/Lake Wobegon sort of feel - directed more at the older adult audience.

Watching A Christmas Story is what eventually led me to discover the German concept of sehnsucht. Not sure we have an English language equivalent, but it basically translates to a feeling of nostalgia for something before one's time.

Might not be your cup of tea and I don't mean to badger, since others have already encouraged you to give it a look, but for what it's worth, the film is light years better than anything being produced these days and wouldn't be a waste of anyone's time, IMO. It easily exceeds the value of what have become its catalog of pop-culture references.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16310 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Never seen it all the way through.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post