SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RAAF C-17 rehearsal for Brisbane show spooks some onlookers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RAAF C-17 rehearsal for Brisbane show spooks some onlookers Login/Join 
Picture of cjevans
posted
Brisbane’s RAAF airshow rehearsal has some spooked

Footage of a RAAF C-17 following the Brisbane river, rehearsing for the Sunsuper Riverfire event. Appears to be weaving in and out of the buildings. Nope.

Just the video:

... here's another , this time YT.

(Length: 1m 59s)

Much of the language has been bleeped out.

Enjoy.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Yikes. Will agree the video makes it look like he is a crazy mother.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
You'd think they'd be used to it by now. The C-17 has been doing this low flyover in Brisbane for a few years.

This is the most famous one on the Internet:

https://youtu.be/cYkL5C-xJ5U

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It used to be a lot more impressive when they did it with the F-111's in afterburner with a fuel dump, for Ekka (Queensland's version of the state fair).

It cancelled for 2021.

First time I saw them coming off the river at night, it looked like a dual missile launch.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Another impressive perspective. The reflection of the C-17 can be seen in the high rise windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzQmBgKPLTg

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'll bet every pilot and aircrew would go to the mat and fight and wrestle for the opportunity to perform those flyovers.

The average Joe has no idea of the skill, training, blood sweat and tears, and talent of those flying.

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The C17 is a big airplane, which makes it look closer (and slower) than it is. We were driving out of OHare on time on I-90 and one came in right over our heads. I could have sworn he was short and was about to land on the freeway, right on top of our car, but he didn't. Awesome thing to watch. I'd love to see that flyby in person!

Posts: 8595 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
The C17 is a big airplane, which makes it look closer (and slower) than it is.

And, empty, it is ridiculously over-powered. I saw a C-17 do an air show demo (2004 or so), and it was AMAZING to see such a huge aircraft crank and bank like a fighter.

Then, that idiot in Fairbanks crashed while hot-rodding (practicing for an airshow), killing himself and the entire crew. No more airshow demos. Frown

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21851 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Large airplanes appear slower than they are; it's an illusion.

Low altitude flight doesn't take appreciably greater skill or ability than flying higher; the airplane doesn't know the difference.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Large airplanes appear slower than they are; it's an illusion.

Low altitude flight doesn't take appreciably greater skill or ability than flying higher; the airplane doesn't know the difference.

True. However, flying close to things takes more precision than most folks are used to, and it is even more intolerant of any inattention, sloppiness, or stupidity than flying generally.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
...No more airshow demos. Frown

They may have been stopped for a while, but two or three years ago we had two C-17s here in Iowa at the Davenport (KDVN) air show. One was open on the ground while the other put on a neat aerial show.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
We get C17s and C130s from Fairchild flying low around here fairly often. A buddy and I were out fishing on the reservoir last summer when a C17 came over at just a couple hundred feet. It was pretty impressive.

My house sits on a cliff a few hundred feet above a corner of a river. A few months back I was sitting on my deck enjoying a drink and a cigar when a C130 came by low. He just snuck up on me and the next thing I knew he came around the corner and I was looking right at the top of the plane. He was at more of a bank angle taking that corner than I thought the C130 was capable of. Pretty cool being able to look into the windows and see the crew as they came by. Big Grin

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I saw a C17 demo a few times, it is high performance for cargo plane. I thought it would be cool for the AF to put some cannons on there and make an AC17.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I just remembered, my Veterinarian's wife is an Air Force Pilot and flew the C17. IIRC she is now in the Reserves and is now an Instructor Pilot in Enid @ Vance AFB.

I've met her a few times, it's kinda crazy visualizing a small petite woman flying that big plane, but she did.

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

True. However, flying close to things takes more precision than most folks are used to, and it is even more intolerant of any inattention, sloppiness, or stupidity than flying generally.

Years ago when I was transitioning to the 747, the guy in the FE seat (a retired Navy commander and former 747 captain) asked what I'd been flying. I didn't give him a resume; I'd just come out of an Air Tractor, the last airplane I flew. He said "what gives you the right to be among us, among professionals?"

I said I had no idea. I applied for a custodian job, and next thing the stuck me up here with all these dials, buttons, bells, buzzers, and whistles.

"Have you ever done any precision flying?" he asked.

Depends. Did he count tight formation flying under powerlines, and between dissimilar aircraft on steep angle downhill runs in burning canyons?

No, he didn't. "What does that have to do with us?" he asked.

Not a damn thing. No, I guess not.

What's an air tractor, anyway? Are you some kind of farmer?

I guess I was.

It's not low, until one is looking up at the powerlines, anyway. Besides, low isn't really a thing until you hit something.

Then it's a thing.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I love C-17s. I was on a trip to Nellis, sitting on the port (left/drivers) side of the aircraft, looking towards the center of the aircraft. We were on final approach, when suddenly I was flat on my back looking straight up at the 2000lb mobile SATCOM antenna, praying the loadmaster knew what he was doing when he bolted the thing to the floor. . .

There was another aircraft on approach or something, forcing the crew to do an emergency break-away. It was awesome.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21851 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
A few years back, and I was Ops Offr [again] over in Northern Ireland. We had a crew day out and went to watch the local air show - we were located on the airfield [Aldergrove] anyhow, so it was no big drive.

We had a wonderful display from the USAF, including F15s, F16s, A10s, a tankers tanking up a coupe F15s and the stars of the show, AWACS and a C5 at 500 feet. Well, the C5 seemed to take about two minutes to approach, fly over and disappear into the middle distance, in spite of making 250 kn. We knew what the lady pilot was doing, because we were linked in to the tower and heard the whole works. Watching that beautiful big bird coming in, flying by and heading off made the day for most of us - the pilot even made a slight wing-waggle as she departed. Wondrous stuff indeed!!

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I live a scant few miles from Shepherd Field Air Guard base, home of the 167th Air Lift Wing of the WV NG and am treated to almost daily sightings of C-17 Globemaster III’s doing circuits of the base. It’s amazing how big and slow they appear to be going, but what is really striking is just how quiet they seem.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15604 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I know its not a C-17, but it's pretty impressive anyway - flying low-level around the Mach-Loop in North Wales - this time A A400-m....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyszRvOOVmg

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I live a scant few miles from Shepherd Field Air Guard base, home of the 167th Air Lift Wing of the WV NG and am treated to almost daily sightings of C-17 Globemaster III’s doing circuits of the base. It’s amazing how big and slow they appear to be going, but what is really striking is just how quiet they seem.

You forgot to mention the great view from the 2nd floor Crosswinds Cafe restaurant just across the runway from the ANG base. There's also a nice display of airport history on the first floor.

https://www.facebook.com/Cross...otos/884076088662547

I have family across the river near Sharpsburg, was just there two weeks ago.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post