SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windstream files for chapter 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windstream files for chapter 11 Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
Several articles on this...apparently they allegedly defaulted on some bonds held by Aurelius, a NY hedge fund company.
I wonder how this will affect the local guys?
I haven’t had time to really research it yet, but I know they provide services to a number of rural areas. Mine being one of them.
I live in the sticks...currently I’m paying $200 a month for bonded T1 lines. 3mb up and 3mb down.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given Windstream's status as the service provider to great swaths of rural America, I imagine that operations will continue similarly to the past. Their bondholders were alleging that Windstream spinning much of their property assets to another entitiy called Uniti was a material breech of the bonds.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Some stories about Aurelius call them vulture capitalists. Buy assets/debt instruments of entities in trouble and sue, sue, sue...

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Just had a client rollover her 401 last Friday from these jokers. So glad she got out while the getting was good!

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, OP: are you so far into the sticks that AT&T LTE is out of the question? We dumped Windstream and their 3 MB service for this:

https://www.unlimitedinternet4u.com

It's somebody reselling unlimited LTE lines on an old corporate account. We use the Netgear modem they advertise and for $75 a month are usually getting 20-30 down and 6-10 up. It's been maybe four months at 60-100 GB per month. Never throttled.

Might be worth a gander.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I don’t really expect it to affect me much in the grand scheme of things. It’s just a restructure. But this will be the third or fourth phone company to own this area and have issues since I was old enough to care. We made it through the MaBell breakup and wound up with GTE. The area was then bought by Valor Telecom. Now we have Windstream. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...probably.

DaBigBR: that is something I haven’t heard of before. In the past whenever I contacted one of those “hi speed anywhere” companies I was told I didn’t qualify when it came right down to it. But this appears to be totally different. And I can see an ATT tower out my bedroom window.
Windstream has DSL in my area now but they won’t let me out of my contract on the T1s (it’s up in September).
This LTE service is definitely something to look into between now and then.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post