SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Physical Attacks on Power Substations in Multiple States
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Physical Attacks on Power Substations in Multiple States Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
riverhouse welcome to the forum!

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another power company guy . I see you're a system dispatcher .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
This sounds more like Antifa, than any right wing group.

Yep. “By any means necessary” is not a “right wing” catchphrase.

Also getting the reichstag fire spidey sense tingle.

Posts: 3148 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The power distribution and transmission company that I once worked for (we also had generation assets as well) was proactive as possible to protect out-of-the-way substations and other critical infrastructure in the lead-up to and during labor contract negotiations.

Extra security, security patrols and temporary electronic surveillance measures were put in place just in case. I do know that negotiations were sometimes heated, etc.

It would be interesting to know if contract negotiations are in process for this company at this time.

Posts: 3479 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Watched this video earlier today, after reading this thread, y'all may find it interesting. Not directly related, but still interesting.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Nice First Post! You've been holding out on us... Wink

After TEN YEARS OF LURKING!

That’s amazing.

I’ve been following this, I’ve got nothing constructive but agree with what’s being said about the vulnerability. There’s been times in the past where we’ve been tasked with static security at cell towers and power sites for big events or threats and it was laughable how soft of targets they were.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was holding out for a Sunday morning and posting in the “What’s my Deal” about the search function

Posts: 13 | Location: Outside the Gorge | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Nicely done, sir!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by riverhouse:
quote:

I was holding out for a Sunday morning and posting in the “What’s my Deal” about the search function

10 year member and two posts. This has to be some kind of lurker record if there ever was one!

Welcome to the forum, ten years late!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
quote:

10 year member and two posts. This has to be some kind of lurker record if there ever was one!

IIRC he gets a CUT too.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found this article that addresses the instances in the PNW. Amazing headline writing. And 2 occurrences aren’t exactly state wide.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...tate-deliberate.html

Not sure what the occurrences in Washington state are. I thought the Cowlitz county incidents were straight up vandalism.

Posts: 13 | Location: Outside the Gorge | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not to derail this thread, but thanks. But it is even worse, I’ve been lurking since 2004

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This could be a lot of different things. It could be enviro-idiots, it could be someone or a group opposed to 'electric everything', some whack-a-doodle trying to prove a point about our power grid, or an actual coordinated attack.

Regardless of motive, it has exposed vulnerabilities in the grid.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37958 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Found this article that addresses the instances in the PNW. Amazing headline writing. And 2 occurrences aren’t exactly state wide.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...tate-deliberate.html

Not sure what the occurrences in Washington state are. I thought the Cowlitz county incidents were straight up vandalism.

Riverhouse thanks, both for adding your experience to this discussion as well as the article. I'd welcome you to the forum but it looks like you've been here for a while. Wink

From the article you posted:

quote:
About 106 attacks on the electrical grid in the US have been reported from January to August of this year - and there have been close to 600 since 2014, according to NBC.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
This could be a lot of different things. It could be enviro-idiots, it could be someone or a group opposed to 'electric everything', some whack-a-doodle trying to prove a point about our power grid, or an actual coordinated attack.

Exactly. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that many of these attacks are nothing more than idiot criminal vandals, if some attacks are from neo-NAZI white supremacists, while others are from global warming eco-terrorists, and still others are Antifa Marxist Great Resetters...and it wouldn't surprise me if at least some of these power grid attacks were false flag operations, intended to highlight a political narrative, just as Operation Fast and Furious was.

In the end, it doesn't matter if it's a "right wing extremist" group or Leftist Antifa eco-terrorist group that successfully attacks the US power grid, as we'll all be either firing up our generators or sitting in the dark wearing headlamps while re-discovering the joys of shared body heat.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

Exactly. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that some of these attacks are from neo-NAZI white supremacists, while others are from global warming eco-terrorists, and still others are Antifa Marxist Great Resetters...and it wouldn't surprise me if at least some of these power grid attacks were false flag operations, intended to highlight a political narrative, just as Operation Fast and Furious was.

In the end, it doesn't matter if it's a "right wing extremist" group or Leftist Antifa eco-terrorist group that successfully attacks the US power grid, as we'll all be either firing up our generators or sitting in the dark wearing headlamps while re-discovering the joys of shared body heat.

We won’t survive the transition away from a high trust society.

As a culture, we have to reject barbarism, or lose civilization.

Posts: 5739 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We dealt with substation vandalism all the time . Usually it was people cutting the copper ground grid wires to steal , but there was an awful lot of damage to the porcelain insulators and bushings . Gunfire , rocks , you name it . Thankfully the industry is moving towards more use of polymers for insulators but most of what's out there is still the old porcelain stuff . Every now and then somebody would shoot one of the relatively thin transformer radiators and that was a whole different level of problems there .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just watched the evening news . They are suspecting white supremacists . Right ..Some jackass shared a file on the Internet with the locations of every substation in the country . Like it was a big secret or something ? Big Grin

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Just watched the evening news . They are suspecting white supremacists . Right ..Some jackass shared a file on the Internet with the locations of every substation in the country . Like it was a big secret or something ? Big Grin

Smart people will see the obvious false flag; unfortunately, half the country isn’t that smart. The attack on conservatives, I mean “right wing extremists” will ramp up from here.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

Smart people will see the obvious false flag; unfortunately, half the country isn’t that smart. The attack on conservatives, I mean “right wing extremists” will ramp up from here.

This media obsession with blaming everything on the opposing political party/ideology seems familiar, as if at some point in history we've seen this before..... Hmmm when was that....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37958 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post