SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wet Heads and Mammals
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wet Heads and Mammals Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
So, water seems to be the best way to break up bulls, and dogs - a super soaker sprayed into an ear gets their brains to reset.

But, they are both land animals, and we’re some kind of maritime ape.

Is anyone aware of any studies to see if suddenly getting people wet (not using a firehouse to know them down), can stop the “stupid ape” fights? I don’t think it’d would effect a predatory attack anymore than a wolf cares if an elk calf makes it into the water

Posts: 5742 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes. (read of such studies, been a while but I have tried it a few times when I had some things that were upsetting and it does work).

Cold water on the back of the neck, can help "slow down lizard brain".

Hitting someone with a pan or stream of cold water will have a "limited" shock effect on most people.

But that is likely to only "stop" a reasonable person in a "heat of passion" moment, and do little to deter the "predator/purpose driven" person, as you stated.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
All the food and drinks thrown during fights inside McDonald's would suggest throwing water at a human does not deter them from continuing to fight.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Along the lines of what monkey was saying, I believe there is a physiological reaction of a human to cold water.

In particular I know there’s a technique that is likely named, where you take your head and shove it into a bucket of ice water to reset your heartbeat. (Afib/SVT)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
In my uneducated opinion, and from my observations, in humans, it seems that loud noise(s) (I mean really loud) bring people out of the blur they are in during the "heat of the moment". That is, until you get into a mob mentality and then all bets are off unless there are a lot of booms.

Look at what happens during the riots. People have no problem smashing, grabbing, and fighting. 4 or 5 gunshots and everyone is running.

Police now use that sonic noise generator thing.

It seems to me that noise breaks people out of their base fighting instinct.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
In my uneducated opinion, and from my observations, in humans, it seems that loud noise(s) (I mean really loud) bring people out of the blur they are in during the "heat of the moment". That is, until you get into a mob mentality and then all bets are off unless there are a lot of booms.

Look at what happens during the riots. People have no problem smashing, grabbing, and fighting. 4 or 5 gunshots and everyone is running.

Police now use that sonic noise generator thing.

It seems to me that noise breaks people out of their base fighting instinct.

Well loud noises don’t really stop people at war. Ymmv. Although flash bangs are certainly effective for a second or two.

LRAD is about pain, and easily defeated - same for HF microwave crowd control.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two Words:
Water Cannon.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16103 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Two Words:
Water Cannon.

I was going to say something like "Increases in pressure and/or volume creates better results."
The USS Eisenhower had to repel boarders during the port call in Portsmouth, England in June of 1990. All the anti-nuke and anti-whatever protesters really made a go of it trying to climb the anchor chain and other means of attempting to board the carrier. The ship's company manning the fire hoses were having great fun removing the protesters, but all we were allowed to do was watch and enjoy the show. The ship could have made a fortune if they had sold tickets to man the hoses for even just 5 minutes. Big Grin

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post