SIGforum
Help! Can't get rid of Win10 desktop pop ups. THANKS xantom!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1290036205

August 10, 2023, 03:20 PM
bald1
Help! Can't get rid of Win10 desktop pop ups. THANKS xantom!
Running Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
Have tried malwarebytes, adwcleaner, and several others. Have set Windows internet options - privacy to block these sites. Upped my security settings on both Brave and Firefox. Searched for registry entries. Even tried restore but apparently that too had been infected. All to no avail!

These are what I'm continuously getting:

What now?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
August 10, 2023, 03:31 PM
creslin
at a glance that looks like yahoo instant messenger (do ppl still use that?)

do you have YIM installed on your machine?
or maybe as a browser plugin or something?

This is where my signature goes.
August 10, 2023, 03:45 PM
xantom
Where are you seeing them? Desktop? Browser? Notification bar?

Maybe show a screen shot that shows more of your screen.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."
August 10, 2023, 03:46 PM
Bytes
I use Popup Blocker Pro and Ublock Origin extensions on Chrome. Popups and ads are now almost non-existent. Some sites do ask they you turn them off. I never experienced anything like you're showing before I installed them so they might just mask the problem???
August 10, 2023, 04:16 PM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
at a glance that looks like yahoo instant messenger (do ppl still use that?)

do you have YIM installed on your machine?
or maybe as a browser plugin or something?

Nope... never used Yahoo for anything other than email which is a dormant account currently.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
August 10, 2023, 04:19 PM
1967Goat
Hit the Window key (formerly the Start button), and type msconfig. In the window that opens you'll see a tab named startup. From there you may have a link to go to Task Manager. Click it. Go to the startup tab. That list is what starts at startup. See if you can find the offending program and disable it.
August 10, 2023, 04:20 PM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I use Popup Blocker Pro and Ublock Origin extensions on Chrome. Popups and ads are now almost non-existent. Some sites do ask they you turn them off. I never experienced anything like you're showing before I installed them so they might just mask the problem???

I use AdBlocker Ultimate with Firefox and the default blocker built into Brave

USN (RET), COTEP #192
August 10, 2023, 04:21 PM
parabellum
Try going to Settings>System>Notifications and Actions and turn the slider to off.
August 10, 2023, 04:22 PM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Where are you seeing them? Desktop? Browser? Notification bar?

Maybe show a screen shot that shows more of your screen.

It is a huge screen that covers 80% of my windows screen. I trimmed them for convenience here. The key is the URL on the top of each sample I showed in my opening post. But here ya go:

USN (RET), COTEP #192
August 10, 2023, 04:23 PM
parabellum
Well, that doesn't sound right.

I recommend trying a Refresh, tanking your machine, then taking it to a computer shop and waiting five days over a holiday weekend to get it back. That worked for me.
August 10, 2023, 04:23 PM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Try going to Settings>System>Notifications and Actions and turn the slider to off.

Just did that (thought I had earlier)...we'll see. Thanks!

Update... nope still getting the damn things

USN (RET), COTEP #192
August 10, 2023, 04:25 PM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Hit the Window key (formerly the Start button), and type msconfig. In the window that opens you'll see a tab named startup. From there you may have a link to go to Task Manager. Click it. Go to the startup tab. That list is what starts at startup. See if you can find the offending program and disable it.

Did all that earlier... nothing out of the ordinary

USN (RET), COTEP #192
August 10, 2023, 04:34 PM
HRK
Casalemedia pop-up Virus is what you have
Here is an article on it, I have not used the removal tool, you may want to research further

but that's the virus...

link
August 10, 2023, 04:34 PM
bald1
Gesh....getting a new one now for banks Frown

USN (RET), COTEP #192
August 10, 2023, 04:38 PM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Casalemedia pop-up Virus is what you have
Here is an article on it, I have not used the removal tool, you may want to research further

but that's the virus...

link

BTW I previously looked at https://malwaretips.com/blogs/...ve-adware-popup-ads/
and ran RKILL and ESET to no avail Frown

I've looked at my task manager and related settings...no casalmedia.
Are you saying it will only show in safe mode?

USN (RET), COTEP #192
August 10, 2023, 04:39 PM
konata88
Painful but maybe trying combing through running Services and maybe live processes as enumerated in Task Manager. Basically, trying to find the background process that is popping up the windows and killing it.

I don't know if this would help but maybe monitor CPU utilization in Task Manager and see what hits the processor when the pop up happens?

ETA : never mind. Sounds like a virus.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
August 10, 2023, 04:56 PM
parabellum
Yeah, you've got malware.

OK, is this a laptop? Try this. Open the screen as much as you can. Lay it out flat if possible, then carry it to the door and toss it like a Frisbee as hard as you can.

If it's a desktop PC, find a set of stairs.
August 10, 2023, 05:16 PM
rizzle
Is there allow popups in the settings? been a while but I think there was a box somewhere that listed any popups that were allowed, you could delete them.
August 10, 2023, 05:18 PM
Bytes
Not sure if this is applicable. I found it on a search that brought me to this link

https://community.brave.com/t/...ntermittent/107870/3

Open brave://settings/searchEngines → make DuckDuckGo your default search engine → remove Yahoo from the list of search engines by clicking on the 3 dots right of Yahoo.

It’s not unusual such issues to be related to extensions. Make sure you don’t use some extension that is changing your default search engine.
August 10, 2023, 05:54 PM
bald1
Many thanks to xantom (Bill) who helped me with this craziness by phone. Turns out it was connected to my yahoo email account in Thunderbird which has now been remedied.

As an aside I had Thunderbird set up to handle my home account plus gmail and yahoo.

Yeah this was a strange one!

USN (RET), COTEP #192