SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help! Can't get rid of Win10 desktop pop ups. THANKS xantom!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Can't get rid of Win10 desktop pop ups. THANKS xantom! Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Running Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
Have tried malwarebytes, adwcleaner, and several others. Have set Windows internet options - privacy to block these sites. Upped my security settings on both Brave and Firefox. Searched for registry entries. Even tried restore but apparently that too had been infected. All to no avail!

These are what I'm continuously getting:

What now?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
at a glance that looks like yahoo instant messenger (do ppl still use that?)

do you have YIM installed on your machine?
or maybe as a browser plugin or something?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Where are you seeing them? Desktop? Browser? Notification bar?

Maybe show a screen shot that shows more of your screen.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Popup Blocker Pro and Ublock Origin extensions on Chrome. Popups and ads are now almost non-existent. Some sites do ask they you turn them off. I never experienced anything like you're showing before I installed them so they might just mask the problem???

Posts: 7556 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
at a glance that looks like yahoo instant messenger (do ppl still use that?)

do you have YIM installed on your machine?
or maybe as a browser plugin or something?

Nope... never used Yahoo for anything other than email which is a dormant account currently.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Hit the Window key (formerly the Start button), and type msconfig. In the window that opens you'll see a tab named startup. From there you may have a link to go to Task Manager. Click it. Go to the startup tab. That list is what starts at startup. See if you can find the offending program and disable it.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I use Popup Blocker Pro and Ublock Origin extensions on Chrome. Popups and ads are now almost non-existent. Some sites do ask they you turn them off. I never experienced anything like you're showing before I installed them so they might just mask the problem???

I use AdBlocker Ultimate with Firefox and the default blocker built into Brave

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Try going to Settings>System>Notifications and Actions and turn the slider to off.

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Where are you seeing them? Desktop? Browser? Notification bar?

Maybe show a screen shot that shows more of your screen.

It is a huge screen that covers 80% of my windows screen. I trimmed them for convenience here. The key is the URL on the top of each sample I showed in my opening post. But here ya go:

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, that doesn't sound right.

I recommend trying a Refresh, tanking your machine, then taking it to a computer shop and waiting five days over a holiday weekend to get it back. That worked for me.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Try going to Settings>System>Notifications and Actions and turn the slider to off.

Just did that (thought I had earlier)...we'll see. Thanks!

Update... nope still getting the damn things

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Hit the Window key (formerly the Start button), and type msconfig. In the window that opens you'll see a tab named startup. From there you may have a link to go to Task Manager. Click it. Go to the startup tab. That list is what starts at startup. See if you can find the offending program and disable it.

Did all that earlier... nothing out of the ordinary

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Casalemedia pop-up Virus is what you have
Here is an article on it, I have not used the removal tool, you may want to research further

but that's the virus...

link

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Gesh....getting a new one now for banks Frown

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Casalemedia pop-up Virus is what you have
Here is an article on it, I have not used the removal tool, you may want to research further

but that's the virus...

link

BTW I previously looked at https://malwaretips.com/blogs/...ve-adware-popup-ads/
and ran RKILL and ESET to no avail Frown

I've looked at my task manager and related settings...no casalmedia.
Are you saying it will only show in safe mode?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Painful but maybe trying combing through running Services and maybe live processes as enumerated in Task Manager. Basically, trying to find the background process that is popping up the windows and killing it.

I don't know if this would help but maybe monitor CPU utilization in Task Manager and see what hits the processor when the pop up happens?

ETA : never mind. Sounds like a virus.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you've got malware.

OK, is this a laptop? Try this. Open the screen as much as you can. Lay it out flat if possible, then carry it to the door and toss it like a Frisbee as hard as you can.

If it's a desktop PC, find a set of stairs.

Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Is there allow popups in the settings? been a while but I think there was a box somewhere that listed any popups that were allowed, you could delete them.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this is applicable. I found it on a search that brought me to this link

https://community.brave.com/t/...ntermittent/107870/3

Open brave://settings/searchEngines → make DuckDuckGo your default search engine → remove Yahoo from the list of search engines by clicking on the 3 dots right of Yahoo.

It’s not unusual such issues to be related to extensions. Make sure you don’t use some extension that is changing your default search engine.

Posts: 7556 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to xantom (Bill) who helped me with this craziness by phone. Turns out it was connected to my yahoo email account in Thunderbird which has now been remedied.

As an aside I had Thunderbird set up to handle my home account plus gmail and yahoo.

Yeah this was a strange one!

USN (RET), COTEP #192