SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Signed by the Governor: Tennessee Law Excludes CBDC from Definition of Money and Deposit Account
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Signed by the Governor: Tennessee Law Excludes CBDC from Definition of Money and Deposit Account Login/Join 
posted
https://blog.tenthamendmentcen...and-deposit-account/

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (April 12, 2024) – Yesterday, Tennessee Governor Bill Lee signed a bill into law that expressly excludes a central bank digital currency (CBDC) from the definition of money and a “deposit account” under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), creating potentially significant roadblocks to its use as such in the Volunteer State.

Sen. Bill Powers introduced Senate Bill 2219 (SB2219) on Jan. 30. Rep. Jeff Burkhart introduced the companion, House Bill 1901 (HB1901) in the House. Under the Tennessee UCC, “money” currently means “a medium of exchange currently authorized or adopted by a domestic or foreign government. The term includes a monetary unit of account established by an intergovernmental organization or by agreement between two or more countries.”

SB2219 adds the term “does not include any central bank digital currency” to that definition.

An amendment in the Senate Commerce Labor Committee added language to also exclude CBDC from the definition of a “deposit account.”

On April 1, the House passed it by a 77-14 vote. The Senate previously passed the measure by a 31-0 vote. With Gov. Bill Lee’s signature, the law goes into effect on July 1.

Similar legislation has already been signed as law in Indiana, Florida, South Dakota, and Utah.

More at link

Posts: 12808 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
But doesn't the constitution give Congress the sole power to mint or call whatever they want "money?"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19779 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Constitution’s Seven Money Clauses

https://deanclancy.com/the-con...seven-money-clauses/

Posts: 12808 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
But doesn't the constitution give Congress the sole power to mint or call whatever they want "money?"
I don't see where Tennessee or the other states are trying to mint or coin money. They are just trying to prevent a particular type of currency transaction.

Posts: 28090 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I don't see where Tennessee or the other states are trying to mint or coin money. They are just trying to prevent a particular type of currency transaction.

I'm not trying to argue as my question was sincere and I am ambivalent on this state issue although I am against digital currency.

But wcb's post above has this in the linked article:

quote:

Congress shall have power to coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures. ~ Art. I, sec. 8, cl. 5.

So if and when Congress passes a law saying digital currency has value and is acceptable as legal tender, then it's easy for someone to come in and sue any state's laws against digital currency as being unconstitutional.

I can also see Congress being able to pass a law saying as of a certain date, paper money will no longer have any value and for people to convert them into digital currency by that date or end up with just souvenir paper of no economic transactional worth.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19779 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post