SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm using a Wifi hotspot for internet/cable. Any way to make Fire Tv think I'm in Boston (I am in Boston)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm using a Wifi hotspot for internet/cable. Any way to make Fire Tv think I'm in Boston (I am in Boston) Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Since we have no cable tv available I'm using unlimited 4G wifi hotspot. The problem I have is that it thinks I'm in NY. So even though I use Fubo TV, my local channels are wrong and I can't get NESN (the Boston sports channel).

There is no way to fix my IP address on the wifi hotspot. But is there a VPN that is inexpensive, that I can set to Boston, that will work on a Fire TV?

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I have fuboTV as well, and recently went to San Antonio. The app on my iPad knew I was there, and programming was adjusted automatically. And readjusted upon my return. So your problem may be due to Fire TV.

Call fubo.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
I have fuboTV as well, and recently went to San Antonio. The app on my iPad knew I was there, and programming was adjusted automatically. And readjusted upon my return. So your problem may be due to Fire TV.

Call fubo.
^^^This. YouTube TV on my laptop does the same thing.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
In my reading IPVanish is the cheapest and easiest for use with Amazon devices.
$6.50 a month if paid annually.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Any VPN that allows you to pick the server should work. I use NordVPN, and it has worked all over the US and overseas. I think it's $3 and some change a month.

Posts: 1503 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:

Call fubo.
^^^This. YouTube TV on my laptop does the same thing.

The issue I have is I’m not using an iPad or iPhone for my hotspot. It’s a dedicated hotspot device with unlimited data. But since it’s over cell and no gps there is no geographical location. When using a phone or iPad Fubo uses gps for location rather than IP address. This isn’t possible with my device.

I will check out the VPNs the other replies mentioned.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Just to reinforce NordVPN. You have your pick of servers, so you can be from anywhere your heart desires. Smile

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
VPN, I use Nord but any of the top tier will work, get the plan with the best deal and most connections allowed.

That way when you are somewhere SF isn't allowed on wifi, flip on the VPN and you can go to the board, plus it offers some protection for you on unprotected public wifi..

If you travel overseas you'll be able to get USA programs that are not allowed on overseas
internet access due to agreements or rights on the shows/network.

Neighbors son plays basketball in Europe, he uses the VPN to connect to the
NBA app so he can watch Pro Ball here during the season, his dad can use it here to
pick up his sons games in Europe when they are broadcast..

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Nord doesn’t support Fire. I’ll give IP vanish a try. Emailed them to be sure it will work for me.

These go to eleven.

Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
I use Expressvpn, and according to their website it works with Fire TV.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you turned the hotspot off and pulled the battery for a few minutes?

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Drive like shit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Have you turned the hotspot off and pulled the battery for a few minutes?

Yes. I can get it to switch IPs but it’s always New York for some reason. When I first got it I got Boston once. Also Colombus. But it’s hit or miss and this thing needs a reboot periodically so no guarantees.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Well looks like Express VPN will work. They had an app on Fire, even though the website said I had to use the router for Fire. I tried the 7 day free trial and was able to connect in Boston. I'll give it a few days to make sure it's still working and sign up.

Thanks guys, problem solved from Sigforum as usual.

These go to eleven.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
VPN
Bee yo frien... Big Grin

Its actually good security for you to use on the cell phone, ipads, laptops etc when you latch on to free WiFi anywhere especially hotels etc.

There are reports where thieves setup hotspots with a similar name to the hotel, guests pop on, key in the security code, which the fake hotspot is setup to take any code, then they can capture all your data through the hotspot.

Unlimited data helps you get around having these issues, just never connect to wifi as there really isn't a need unless you have a plan that is throttled....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post