SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm unemployed!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm unemployed! Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I wasn't sure whether to put this in the funk thread, or in the Un-Funk thread, and I'm excited about it. So it gets its own thread.

I don't care if the thread only lasts a couple of days, 'cause my unemployment only lasts this week. Why am I so nonchalant about it?

Because I GOT A NEW JOB!!! I just don't start it 'til next week. Big Grin

My "adopted sister" tells me I'm on "funemployment" this week. I like it.

I made a list of all -- well, some -- of the things I need to accomplish during my time off. Fix the ceiling fan, clean off the desk, repair a lamp, dust and vacuum, fix a toilet, paint the garage ceiling, and on and on and on. In the middle of all that, I may go to the trap range Wednesday evening, and I need to clean a shotgun or two.

So. Back to the news! After 22-1/2 years with my current employer, I got an opportunity to do similar work, with a team I already know and a new product, only a half-mile further away from the house. I lose the team of 11 great people I had under my umbrella, and I hate feeling like I'm leaving them behind. (Truth is, I'll be aiming to bring them over as soon as I can.) But there are a great many hassles I'm now free of, and I'm likely to be working way less "second shift." (Second shift: time spent working at home, after the regular day.)

I'm excited about it. I've got my first project already and have started a couple of planning documents already. My boss said, "don't put too much into it yet -- I don't have you on payroll yet!" But I enjoy the work, so I got a head start on it.

Leaving a job and a great team after that long is a very tough thing to do. But this "new life" looks pretty darned exciting. Cool To quote my good friend TK, "Life is good!"

Cheers, y'all! Let's get funky!!

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
That's great news, vthoky!!

It sounds like a great move for you, and if you're able to take your team--or some of it--to your new gig, that will be great.

Go Hokies!

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Enjoy the 'down'time

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice to hear of your new opportunity.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm likely to be working way less "second shift." (Second shift: time spent working at home, after the regular day.)

That by itself is reason enough to celebrate.

Congratulations!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Good luck and best wishes on your new job

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new job!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a win to me.
Congratulations!

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
When I first saw the title of the thread I was worried but now I’m happy for you. All the best moving forward.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and good luck. You will probably find that you hardly finish many of your home projects and wonder where the time went,

Posts: 1217 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new job!
Enjoy the week!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Way to go!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I only changed jobs three times in my working life, joined the Army at 17, the local Police department just before turning 21 and the State Attorney's Office at 34, right after Law School. Then retirement!

Each time was kinda scary-I had many questions such as "Will I do well?," "Am I making the right decision?," "Do I belong here?" and other variations of the same questions. For me the answers turned out to be all yes, though it took a bit to be sure. Of all, retirement was the scariest.

You, on the other hand, sound very confident and I am sure you will do well in this new adventure in your life.

Bob

Posts: 1573 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Good to hear, vthoky!
(Just returned from a day in Abingdon, sort of your neck of the woods.)
Enjoy your fun week.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all! It's a new adventure, and I'm looking forward to it.

Shoevb is right: my to-do list hasn't shrunk much today.

Here's a fun one: my boss texted me a few minutes ago, asking me to come by for a bit tomorrow. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and wishes for a good future!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Damn click bait. Razz

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
Good for you!!!

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rotty37
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! Smile

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4451 | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Congratulations,

I was unemployed (Big Tech WFR) for 58 days, mid-Nov to Mid Jan. Just enough anxiety to really put a damper on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
But in the end I got rehired by my Tech employer and am moving on in my new role.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post