SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Odessa TX Saltgrass Steak House - Another hoax racism charge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odessa TX Saltgrass Steak House - Another hoax racism charge Login/Join 
posted
Shocked. Shocked I am.

Original article before the facts came out, with the predictable comments:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/c...om-texas-restaurant/

And now you know...the rest of the story:

https://www.oaoa.com/news/busi...76-6fd15202251a.html

Saltgrass COO, waiter say racism story made up

Monday, July 23, 2018 3:19 pm

The Odessa waiter whose story about being called a terrorist by a customer spurred national attention last week now admits it was all a hoax.

The waiter, Khalil Cavil, 20, admitted he wrote the racist note himself in a Monday interview with the Odessa American, where he apologized to a reporter “because I did lie to you.”

“I did write it,” Cavil said, refusing to explain why. “I don’t have an explanation. I made a mistake. There is no excuse for what I did.”

Cavil’s call followed a press release from Saltgrass Steak House revealing the hoax. Cavil had lied about receiving the note calling him a terrorist while working at the restaurant on July 14.

Terry Turney, COO of Saltgrass, issued this: “After further investigation, we have learned that our employee fabricated the entire story. The customer has been contacted and invited back to our restaurant to dine on us. Racism of any form is intolerable, and we will always act swiftly should it occur in any of our establishments. Falsely accusing someone of racism is equaling disturbing.”

Cavil claimed he was left no tip and that “we don’t tip terrorist” was written on the receipt. Cavil had said he hoped the post would spur conversation “about this hatred that is still going on, that is still here and prevalent. I just wanted people to understand that.”

It did. Many on Facebook were offering money to Cavil who said he was working to attend college in Dallas this fall. Cavil said donations totaled about $1,000.

“All money is being processed and being return(ed),” Cavil said. “Most all of it has been returned.”

Cavil is no longer employed at Saltgrass, officials said declining to say how they found out the story was not true. Cavil said he admitted the lie to Saltgrass officials Sunday, what he called “the first step into making it right.”

He said he did not know the customer who he accused of racism, who he did not identify publicly. But the restaurant, which had initially backed Cavil, had announced banning the customer before the hoax was revealed.

“I’m sorry. I deeply made a huge, big mistake. And I’m in the process of getting the help that I need,” Cavil said.

PREVIOUS VERSION: Few details were available but a Saltgrass press release issued late Monday says that a story about a waiter being called a terrorist by a customer that went viral on social media last week was made up.

Terry Turney, COO of Saltgrass, issued this: “After further investigation, we have learned that our employee fabricated the entire story. The customer has been contacted and invited back to our restaurant to dine on us. Racism of any form is intolerable, and we will always act swiftly should it occur in any of our establishments. Falsely accusing someone of racism is equaling disturbing.”

The waiter, Khalil Cavil, 20, claimed he was left no tip and that “we don’t tip terrorist” was written on the receipt. Many on Facebook were offering money to Cavil who said he was working to attend college in Dallas this fall. Multiple calls and email to Cavil and his mother were not returned Monday.

Cavil is no longer employed at Saltgrass, officials said declining to say how they found out the story was not true.

Follow Odessa American on twitter @OdessaAmerican, like us on Facebook at Odessa American or call 432-333-7714 for the main newsroom line.

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much the real racist in this story made w/ the "go fund my lies".

https://www.huffingtonpost.com...d667e4b0de86f48af672

Posts: 7378 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That's the closest "big city" to us denizens of Jerkwater.

"Cavil had said he hoped the post would spur conversation “about this hatred that is still going on, that is still here and prevalent."

Yeah-it probably will. They'll be conversing about hating a lying piece of shit like Cavil.

Posts: 26948 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, he had 'noble intentions.' Roll Eyes

Piece of crap tried to play the race card, and the msm was tripping over themselves to 'shape the narrative.' Now that it turns out to be YET ANOTHER fraud, they drop it and move on to the next sjw wannabe.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
So just another example of how the terms "racist" and "racism" are being diluted to the point that they have the same meaning as "tire pump" and "hockey sweater".

Totally
Meaningless

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Maybe his parents got to him. Muslim (assuming?) can be very honorable about instilling values and doing the right thing if you make a mistake.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm from Odessa, don't live there anymore, but still have friends and family there. A lot of people came out when this happened and said what a good "christian" kid he was, etc etc. Including a lot of people that do a lot for the community. I'll be curious to see what kind of backlash he will receive.

Posts: 1183 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I hope the customer brings a lawsuit against him and breaks the financial future of that scrawny shit. Kiss your college dreams goodbye, asshole.

Just another asshole trying their hand at being a sjw because they don't want to work to get to where they want to be in life.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Muslim (assuming?)
Nope. Read the linked story:
quote:
Cavil told Texas’ KMID that although he doesn’t have Middle Eastern roots, people sometimes assume he does because of his name. He said he was named for one of his dad’s best friends, a fallen veteran.
Story also says he "is Christian and planning to attend Dallas Baptist University."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30734 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Saltgrass offers to have the customer come back on their dime?

After all that bullshit he/she faced on some trumped up crap? I wouldn't be seen within a grand of that place. Sounds like a set up publicity stunt.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
Saltgrass offers to have the customer come back on their dime?

After all that bullshit he/she faced on some trumped up crap? I wouldn't be seen within a grand of that place. Sounds like a set up publicity stunt.

Well, really, what should they have done? Offering him a free meal is the least they could do, IMO. I would probably show up, enjoy the meal, and go from there. . .

And, yes, it IS a publicity stunt. They took a big hit, and are trying to fix it. We've seen here how businesses can crumble due to the poor actions of a single employee (refusing to serve LEOs, banning people from lawful firearms carry, etc). They have to show they are 'doing the right thing.'

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Well, really, what should they have done? Offering him a free meal is the least they could do, IMO. I would probably show up, enjoy the meal, and go from there. . .

And, yes, it IS a publicity stunt. They took a big hit, and are trying to fix it. We've seen here how businesses can crumble due to the poor actions of a single employee (refusing to serve LEOs, banning people from lawful firearms carry, etc). They have to show they are 'doing the right thing.'

I can't answer that as I am not in that situation. Nothing they do will be able to make up for the patron getting that label. That shit doesn't just go away. They jumped the gun banning the person before they had a chance to know the story.

90% of the public will continue to eat there and not give a damn about what they did. The other 10% don't care either way. In the long run, this will have zero impact on the business.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I Heard on the radio today that the customer was “banned for life” from all of the Saltgrass locations by the manager.

If true, that puts a little different spin on what the customer should or shouldn’t do.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

I can't answer that as I am not in that situation. Nothing they do will be able to make up for the patron getting that label. That shit doesn't just go away. They jumped the gun banning the person before they had a chance to know the story.

90% of the public will continue to eat there and not give a damn about what they did. The other 10% don't care either way. In the long run, this will have zero impact on the business.
Right. The only thing they cared about was SJWs boycotting them. So they threw an innocent man under the bus.

Posts: 5763 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I Heard on the radio today that the customer was “banned for life” from all of the Saltgrass locations by the manager.

If true, that puts a little different spin on what the customer should or shouldn’t do.

sounds like the potential for a slander lawsuit,

and with proof of innocence, maybe an easy case

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
That's the closest "big city" to us denizens of Jerkwater.

"Cavil had said he hoped the post would spur conversation “about this hatred that is still going on, that is still here and prevalent."

Yeah-it probably will. They'll be conversing about hating a lying piece of shit like Cavil.

If Cavil wants to end hatred, he should start with himself. Seems to me he wants to promote hatred for his own gain.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Totally
Meaningless
Absolutely. When racism equals everything, then racism equals nothing, which is what we're nearing now.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post