SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Android help for an iOS guy.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Android help for an iOS guy. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
There is virtually no cell service here of any kind so we use wifi calling on our iPhones. It works well.

My wife and I are tending to her slightly mentally handicapped and illiterate sister here while she recoups form a fall. She has an Obama phone she uses to keep in touch with her 3 kids, some other relatives and friends. I no nothing about Android. I did find it is running Version 8.1 and I did manage to get it connected to my Wifi.

We can manage without it but if wifi calling an option in 8.1... and IF her cell provider provides the service we would like to activate it. I haven't found the option in the menus anywhere yet.

Thanks

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Go into settings, then network & internet and the Wi-Fi option is there. Click on the button to the right and it should light up. After you do that click the line to get the Wi-Fi options.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I think you will have to call her carrier. With android, the carriers have their special touches to the OS which may or may not allow all of a phone's capabilities.

I have Verizon, my android phone supports WiFi calling, but because I didn't get my phone from Verizon, Verizon doesn't support WiFi calling with my phone. My wife's iPhone from Verizon does WiFi calling just fine though.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Go into settings, then network & internet and the Wi-Fi option is there. Click on the button to the right and it should light up. After you do that click the line to get the Wi-Fi options.

Jim

I'll look there... thanks

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I think you will have to call her carrier.

Yea, she got the phone in the mail and I had never even heard of the provider. Guess I'll have to research some... thanks

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
So-called "Wi-Fi calling" is nothing more or less than VoIP (Voice over IP) (IP == Internet Protocol AKA TCP/IP) using the cell phone service provider's SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) server. There are at least dozens of VoIP clients for Android (I like Grandstream's soft phone) that will allow calling over an IP network connection (e.g. WiFi) with the SIP provider of your choice. There are hundreds or maybe even thousands of SIP providers with man many service plans. I like VoIP.ms as a provider, but a simple web search for "SIP provider" will reveal more options than you want to deal with.

Now I will be the first to admit that calling and receiving calls via VoIP is not the same user experience that you will see with native mobile service, but it is simple and straightforward enough that only the truly imbecilic cannot manage it.

Sorry for the acronym-heavy post, but a few minutes with a browser looking up the basic terms will go a long way in clearing up any ignorance.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
You can skip all the WiFi calling stuff by just having her and those with whom she wishes to keep in contact all install Signal Private Messenger. With it you can text, do voice calls, and video calls, over WiFi or cellular connections. It's free, advert-free, tracking-free, and runs on just about everything.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys but I think I'll give up on it for now. Decided she might just use Facebook Messenger but there seems to be an issue with her phone. Battery was at 5% when she got here so I plugged it up to charge and hours later it said 98%... OK, so I unplugged it and within a minute or so it dropped to 3%. There is another relative who has helped her with her phone in the past and I will enlist his help when he visits. Thanks again...

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Thanks guys but I think I'll give up on it for now. Decided she might just use Facebook Messenger ...

Warning: In addition to the other ills of running them, Facebook and Facebook Messenger have often been terrible battery hogs.

quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
... but there seems to be an issue with her phone. Battery ...

Hmmm... How old is this phone and how badly-abused has the battery been? ("Badly abused" = regularly running it way down and full-charging it.)

It sounds like the battery is toast, but, before making that assumption I'd at least reboot the phone. I'd also whack every program that's running in background beforehand.

I'll suggest again Signal Private Messenger. Among its other attributes (noted previously), I've never known it to be a battery hog.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
WhatsApp. It’s an app. It uses wifi calling. It works well. I communicate with many friends all over the globe with it. Its free.

https://www.whatsapp.com/

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
WhatsApp. It’s an app.

Owned by Facebook.