SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have a Lexus GX460? Or should I look at a 4Runner instead?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a Lexus GX460? Or should I look at a 4Runner instead? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
In my neverending car shopping [not actively shopping, but always looking] these have popped onto my radar.
Briefly considered a similar year to my Malibu Porsche Cayenne, but an older German car [P-car tax] out of warranty is mildly terrifying.

On the surface, it seems like a beefed up, V8, Luxo-4Runner.
MPG sucks, but it's a big V8 4wd truck.

With my wife taking family hauling duties with her Expedition Max [nicknamed MiniBus] I've been hopping around between lots of options for when my 2012 Malibu gets replaced.

Years ago, when I was working at a local Chevrolet dealer in college, we had 2 Lexus GX470 traded in & I got a few miles in them & quite liked them, especially with how they handled torrential rain.

Next week, I'm sure I'll be looking at Smart ForTwos or Corvettes, but more seriously am considering a shorter [length] SUV or possibly another truck, since we have family hauling sorted.

Browsed a bit on Club Lexus & didn't see anything menacing with issues/reliability

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Had a LX470, excellent vehicle, luxury personified, rode like a luxury 4 door car with a lot more room and capabilities.

Lexus is Toyota, quality isn't an issue

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If you hit YouTube and watch a bunch of videos, you'll find very few people with anything bad to say about the GX460 and GX470. Older body on frame design and very stout, while also offering lots of creature comforts. I've considered getting a pre-owned one myself at some point in the future.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cross-shopped gx460s and 4runners. The GXs are very nice inside, and drive very well. The weird part is that the tailgate opens like a door, to the side, as it is not a liftgate.

Peter

Posts: 94 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The barn door isn't a deal breaker for me.
I suppose, as long as you don't go hanging a lot off of it to stress the hinges, it shouldn't be a problem.
Considering it's sibling the LC Prado has a rear mounted spare, I'm sure the hinges can handle it even better without it, if it's using the same hardware as its Asian/Euro brethren.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It’s basically the same car they’ve built for the last 15 years with very little differences. All the bugs have been worked out.

Posts: 4166 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
I currently drive a GX460 and I used to have a 4RUNNER. Both are nice vehicles, but feel very different to drive. The GX has a V8 and is 4wd 100% of the time and the extra heft makes it feel way more solid. It also has much nicer finishes. I'd prefer the tailgate be a lift vs. swinging out, but it's only a real hassle when using the hitch-mounted bike rack. My biggest gripe for the GX is that the computer in the console is a little slow to boot up so you have to wait a minute before you can adjust the AC and radio controls after starting the vehicle. Mine also doesn't have CarPlay. Hopefully they are offering that by now.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think AndroidAuto isn't available on the GX until 2020 & newer, which sucks. I had it in my 2016 F150 & we have it in our 2018 Expedition.

Need to go drive both & see how they are on the road, just bummed the T4R in TRD trims doesn't get things like auto AC like the Limited does, but at least they get adaptive cruise & such.

posted Hide Post
We have had a 2022 nori green gx460 for about 6 months. We came out of a 2013 Jeep Wrangler unlimited that we had since new and modified quite a bit. I really like the GX. It seems really well built and solid. The 2022 is the first year of the updated media/center console. It is closer to being up to date technology wise without being over the top like some vehicles. Coming from a Jeep we were used to the swinging rear tailgate so that isn’t that big of a deal for us.

If you are looking for great gas mileage then the GX is not for you. We have got 20 mpg on the highway which is acceptable to me. The v8 isn’t high horsepower but it is smooth as butter and sounds good when you need to get going.

Only negative that I have so far is the ventilated seat are not very good.

Posts: 154 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
When the car market started going haywire, I looked at trading/selling my 4Runner and getting in to a GX as I could have been very close to an even trade for almost even miles. I like the GX a lot but ended up staying put. I didn't love the rear hatch and I absolutely adore the rear sliding window in the 4Runner, which the GX doesn't have.

If Lexus continues to make the GX as a body on frame, I may buy one in the future. I like the creature comforts combined with the off road capability.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2012 GX460 that I bought in mid-2019. I was also considering a 4Runner, actually I was looking for a 4Runner then started to look at the GX460 as another option. I actually got a better deal on the Lexus...newer year, less miles for less money. There were also more available as I was wanting a 3rd row (both 3rd rows are tight for the record) and four wheel drive (both standard on the GX).

So far we love everything about the GX460, except for the aforementioned gas mileage and the lack of Apple Play. The gas mileage is even more painful as it takes premium. It's been very reliable, is a pleasure to drive, nice interior...everything you'd expect from a Lexus.

You didn't mention if you were looking for new or used, but I see that you're also in the Houston area. I got mine at a BMW dealership in Katy. It was a trade-in on a new BMW. I found a few other nice ones at Audi dealers as well for the same reason. Good luck.

Posts: 212 | Registered: April 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
This guy on YouTube does many Toyota and Lexus reviews.
https://www.youtube.com/thecarcarenut

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
If you consider the 4-Runner, avoid the cross over suspension model. My 2015 Limited, has a suspension where the driver front shocks are connected to the passenger rear shocks with a buffer cylinder between. Of course the passenger front connects to the driver rear. It’s an attempt to stop body roll over rough terrain. I’m not sure how well that works, but I do know if you start having a leaky shock (anywhere), you have to replace the whole thing @ around $5,600. Ask me how I know.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ Is that the KDSS? Is it on all trims?
If I went for a T4R, it would probably be either a Limited or a TRD Off Road Premium. But, both seem less equipped than the GX, but with slightly updated infotainment systems.

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Back in June my wife got a 22 4Runner SR5 Premium with 3rd row. That replaced her 99 4Runner that had 220,000 miles on it. She got that one in 2004 with 26,000 miles on it. 19 years and 194,000 miles put on by her.

She wanted a new 4Runner and would not even look at anything else. I tried to prod her to look at the Lexus, but she saw no point as she wanted another 4Runner. I went down to the Lexus dealer and took a look at the GX and it was real nice. However, we have a boat and you can't open the rear gate with the boat attached. That was a deal killer for me. The GX was about $10k over what we wound up getting with the 4Runner. Yes, you do get more options for that $10k, but my wife wasn't really interested in those options for the extra cost.

The only 2 "must haves" for her were heated front seats and a third row, which is why we went with the SR5 Premium over the standard SR5. We wound up getting the SR5 premium for sticker at $45k.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
3rd row is just a bonus, if I got T4R, I'd look for a non-3rd row model

Very little towing, to rear access with a trailer is not a big concern. And the Expedition likely has a higher tow rating than either the 4R or the GX.

May all be moot if my mom wants to sell her 21 Explorer Platinum for a good price.
Otherwise, the 4R & GX are leading the charge right now.

My dad had 2 4Runners, a 03 SR5 V6 4wd & a 05 Limited V8 4wd
Both were really nice to drive, definitely less trucklike than expected. Him & I both preferred the V6 to the V8. The torque was nice, but it wasn't a huge difference in everyday driving.
The V8 had started a small coolant leak (common issue I believe) and he traded it for a Duramax Silverado HD.

Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
I traded my wife's 2021 Honda Pilot in on a Lexus GX460 in January 2022. The difference in weight (GX is 5200 lbs) is obvious, giving the GX a solid, stable feel vs the Honda. Not criticizing Honda, as I have one in the garage for the past 40 years.

The engine is a smallish V8 (4.6L) without cylinder deactivation which suits me fine. It's quick enough to get the job done, as it will tow 6500 lbs. Only negative is that it takes premium gasoline.

Overall, it feels like it will be a good long term vehicle. No quirks at all so far. It's quite comfortable and makes you feel safe on the interstate.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Had a 15 GX premium and loved it. Currently own a 21 4Runner. GX had more luxury to it but we love the 4Runner just as much. If you love to offroad at all, either one will suffice. The GX feels absolutely solid at all times and never let us down for a second. The third row was nice to have but never used it. I do miss the lane traffic warning but overall we are happy with the 4Runner. At the time we bought the GX, you could get a used one for almost the same price as a 4Runner. Not sure how the market is now. Look up Lifestyle Overland on youtube, they have one of each. (heavily modified) Good luck.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Close friend bought a 21 4Runner, loves it now that he's put in a variety of after-market parts. He does wish the engine was a bit more responsive and had more guts, especially when he gets into my Tundra. He wishes he got a GX instead with the V8 but, he also prefaces that he's happy with what he has.

Either way, you can't go wrong, the GX of course is more upmarket in features and finish.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 TRD Pro, and my dad owns a 2016 GX. They are both slow, but adequate. the V8 is very refined, so it gets points for that. If you will be spending more time on the highway, buy the GX as it is quieter. Otherwise, 4Runner. You cannot go wrong with either.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post