SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How common is tipping appliance delivery/installation people?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How common is tipping appliance delivery/installation people? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Usually the guy doing the delivery and installation is me, and that guy has never received a tip.

Everyone else gets $10 each . More if they are willing to take a extra dead appliance.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
So $10 per person seem to be reasonable for something like a washer and dryer?

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over a decade in the business, it was very seldom that the delivery guys received a tip.
This was a few decades ago.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I told my wife to pass $20 to them. Easy 15 minute delivery and install 3 steps from the garage. I already had the old ones moved and the room clean.

Happy to have a set of classic Speed Queens. They are boring but in a good way.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Tipping for good service absolutely. And usually for good service giving the Boss a phone call even if they from a big box store. But also if substandard performance was reported also with the note that i would pass on my experiences to other potential customers. ............................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2022 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I do it.

Years ago, I worked for a local plumbing & heating warehouse and would deliver hot water heaters, boilers, furnaces, showers, cast iron tubs, etc. Usually we got tipped by the plumber, but once in a while we would get tipped by the homeowner.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3439 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Most likely they are a contracted service. If the service was good, I'll give them enough to cover for a quick lunch. Water/Gatorade is always offered regardless of service, that's just decency there, IMO.

—————————————-
This . 2 times last summer I had contractors doing manual labor out back. Both instances I got them pizzas and all the cold bottles of water the wanted.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5302 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I tipped the poor Schmo’s that delivered my last couch. It was a major PITA to get in through the door. Those guys earned their $20 apiece.

Posts: 3161 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Most times. I have had guy's be dicks upon arrival ............ guess what they get? Otherwise YES most definitely. Typically enough for drinks, a sandwich and chips. Pickle Rick!!

Posts: 2878 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Big box retailers use third party delivery service. Most of the time it’s a free delivery. The owner of the company (truck) gets a share the driver gets a share and the helper gets a smaller share. There is not a lot of meat on the bone. They have to do a lot of stops to make their wages.
Work fast in and out.
It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Plus the pandemic.
If you are happy with what they did, why wouldn’t you give them a tip?

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post