SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Else Here Seeing Spam Calls To Cell Phone Just Explode Recently?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Else Here Seeing Spam Calls To Cell Phone Just Explode Recently? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
WTF? Thank God for the iPhone feature of “mute and send to voicemail any unknown number” because I’m getting 30 spam calls per day now from all over the fricken place.

Did someone get my number? For years it was pretty moderate but in the past few weeks it’s completely exploded.

Anyone else seeing this?

Posts: 33889 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Nope. But I have my T-Mobile account set to detect and block spam callers.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Ye. I saw them drop off quite a bit a few months back, and yesterday they exploded again. They're all from either spoofed numbers (my area code and 3 digit prefix+ random last 4) or totally nonsensical numbers. Phone companies had to start doing ID verification on all calls starting in June, and that dropped the calls way down. It looks like the spammers have figured out how to get past that now.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
yes. texts also

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I have the unfortunate luck of having 2 cell phones - a personal and a work phone. BOTH of them have been getting 5 - 10 calls every week lately. EVERY single time I block the number but it doesn't seem to help Mad

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Mines like the ocean waves, up one day, down the next....

Posts: 23589 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Yup

Up from a few a week to several a day. Either about wanting to buy my house, but my truck or to sell me aftermarket insurance on a vehicle I sold 8 years ago.

I had a voip number that was getting several a day and finally just cancelled the service and tossed the phone.

Posts: 53236 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cabellocabeza
posted Hide Post
For some reason, I keep getting the auto warranty spam calls. Both of my cars are long out of any warranty.

I keep blocking the number they call from, only to have them call from a different number the next day.

Now, I only answer the phone if it is somebody I know, everybody else can go to voicemail.

Posts: 40 | Registered: July 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Explode ? No exactly, but definitely noticed an uptick in their unfortunate occurrence.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cabellocabeza:
For some reason, I keep getting the auto warranty spam calls. Both of my cars are long out of any warranty.

I keep blocking the number they call from, only to have them call from a different number the next day.

Now, I only answer the phone if it is somebody I know, everybody else can go to voicemail.

Don't waste your time blocking these calls. The number you are blocking is a spoofed number that has no relation at all to the people actually calling you.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I haven’t but my wife has … we’re both on the same Verizon plan, I don’t understand it either.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5709 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
I keep getting the foreign language calls. Somebody starts jabbering at me in a language I definitely don’t understand sound like Chinese. Luckily, I just hit block call and delete, I don’t answer anymore unless I recognize the number.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
About the same frequency as it's been in the past, but now I'm getting the spam texts, too.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15382 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Auto warranty renewal, medicare help, suspicious charges on a non existing Amazon account, J&J baby powder litigation, police donations, etc. I got a call the other day from a person wanting to know if I was interesting in selling my home. I told them I wanted $10,000,000. They haven't called back.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to get a lot-like five or six a day. My Iphone 8S has a feature that allows me to stop any call from ringing through if it is not on my Contacts list. And another button to stop calls the Iphone decides may be spam.

So after using these for a while, maybe a couple of months. I noticed I was getting far fewer calls.

Every day or so, I look at the recent call screen and block and delete any that are from numbers I don't recognize and where the caller failed to leave a message.

Works great for me.

Bob

Posts: 1583 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so sick of spam calls and unwanted texts that I want to change my number! Problem is it's my business number I've used for years.

Wish I had a solution!! I'm 64 and the calls for Medicare are driving me nuts!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
Auto warranty renewal, medicare help, suspicious charges on a non existing Amazon account, J&J baby powder litigation, police donations, etc. I got a call the other day from a person wanting to know if I was interesting in selling my home. I told them I wanted $10,000,000. They haven't called back.

You nailed it,mine is the same .
So many in fact I have been turning it off after I make my calls.
G-mail spam is about 600 each day.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
I actually unplugged my phone Friday as we were getting a call every 10 minutes never anyone on the line. Left it off all weekend. I'm going to hook it back up and see how long before it starts up again.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7634 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got one this morning. The recording told me I was going to jail unless I hit #1 on my phone.

So, I hit #1 and told the fellow with the mid east accent that he would never take me alive.

He hung up.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Yes and lots of texts. The phone calls all ring but instead of a name, it says spam.

The number of times I could get my student loans paid off is insane. Too bad I don't have any. That and car warranties.

I'm also waiting for the agents to show up and arrest me.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post