SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Else Have Sticker Shock From New Obamacare Premium, Self-employed?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Else Have Sticker Shock From New Obamacare Premium, Self-employed? Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted
I recently received my renewal premium quotes for on or off (they are the same) exchange 2018 health care under ACA. To say they took my breath away would be and understatement.

We only have one option where I live here in Georgia, Alliant. My present SOLOCare Silver, $5750 deductible for my wife and me is now $2989.57 per month.

Yes, I'm in my 60's and the wife isn't far behind but i don't see how they think most people can possibly spend this much. The cheapest plan with much worse terms is $2319.92 per month, the highest is $3399.11 per month.
We are both self-employed and make above the income for 2 people ($64,000 limit, line 37 of 1040, before personal deductions and exemptions) to qualify for the subsidy but not enough to pay this kind of cost.

What is everybody else, that doesn't have employer provided benefits doing?

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That can't be right?

If it is how about some of the Christian share expense programs? There has to be other options. That is criminal.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Ours was just under $2000/month and is going up to $2400. "If you like your insurance you can keep your insurance".

Lying sack of shit, that obama.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
That can't be right?

That isn't right but it is what it is. I have spoken to my insurance agent, Insurance company and the folks at healthcare.gov.

Last year the same thing was around $2200 per month and that was bad enough.

Unfortunately, if you're in your early to mid 60's, they hit you hard. I'm really looking forward to turning 65 now for that reason.

I'm just surprised we aren't hearing more about this on the news, even FOX. The Democrats should be hung for this but the Republicans really didn't have a viable option ready either.

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and the other folks have promised to fix it too. Huh?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Damn. There really isn't anything else to say. I'm sorry, that really sucks. There is nothing at all affordable about that.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3586 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Main reason I stuck around for a reserve military retirement - healthcare at 60 years old.

My parents had been able to retire since their late 50s, however the healthcare costs (even pre-Obamacare) kept them from doing so - so one of them worked until they both were 65.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Originally, Obama and the democrats were to blame. Senate Republicans own it now. Shame on them.

Posts: 842 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
you should send a bill to your congresscritter and ask for assistance in paying these outrageous fees

remind him of the promise that Obama made - you can keep your provider and costs will go down

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
Originally, Obama and the democrats were to blame. Senate Republicans own it now. Shame on them.

I disagree. They don't own it because they didn't do it (not a single one voted for it).

That said, they 100% own their own incompetence and cowardice of not fixing it now that they have the majority.

$24k-$30+k/year for health insurance is absolutely insane at any age. I don't understand why there isn't a whole heck of a lot more pressure from the people on Congress to fix it. Of course, the fake news media propaganda and RINOs aren't helping with their scare tactics, protecting this POS legislation.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Makes my blood boil. I'm 44, and my wife and I are saving enough so we can retire at ~58 - 60. Insurance rates that high may make that goal impossible.

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whether it's Obamacare or Trumpcare, you are never going to have "affordable healthcare" as long as the insurance companies and the pharmaceutical companies are given free rein. That is the current situation.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
May have to work till 65 cause of this. Bastards don't care since they are exempt from it themselves.

Posts: 5762 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Rates going up for my family as well.
I'm lowering my coverage to keep the bleeding down. No other options.

The debacle continues.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I was so glad when I hit 65 and got Medicare. Premium BC&BS at $687.00 month to $134.00. Can't wait till Wendy hit 65 in a couple of months. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And they wonder WHY people DON'T have insurance!

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
I was so glad when I hit 65 and got Medicare. Premium BC&BS at $687.00 month to $134.00. Can't wait till Wendy hit 65 in a couple of months. Chris

Chris,

Did you keep your BC/BS as secondary? And if so how much are you paying?

Thanks,
Ray

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 518 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Self insure?
Check into "concierge medicine".
There are doctors who are fed up with the insurance companies too.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24642 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Mine doubled this yr as well. I turn 65 in August, so I will sign up for Medicare and maybe VA benefits, but will have to continue to pay high premiums for wife for another year.
I had a $7000 deductible and the last two years my plan was no longer going to be available in my county after that year, increased ded and increased premiums. AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE MY A$$

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1116 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Self insure?
Check into "concierge medicine".
There are doctors who are fed up with the insurance companies too.

We pay in cash. We find no shortage of local doctors willing to take care of us for a greatly reduced rate, paid in cash.

There is only one company offering "plans" in our area. It is most decidedly un-affordable. So far we've never had to pay the penalty as it was SO outrageously un-affordable.

The whole system makes me sick to my stomach. I really believe that the assholes that implemented this should be punished and held accountable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13988 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post