SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whenever I cook poultry the white meat takes longer than than the dark meat.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whenever I cook poultry the white meat takes longer than than the dark meat. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I don't get it. I'm on BBQ forums, cooking forums. I read recipes. I BBQ all the time. When I make chicken and today a 24lb turkey the dark meat is always at 165 and the breast at 150ish at some point in time. My turkey today was supposed to take 5 hours but is about done in 3.5 hours. The thigh is at 165 and the breast is at 150. I know I should go a bit higher in temp but I have so long to hold it I can deal with that.

Anyhow anyone else always have dark meat done first? Not a bad problem to have since it helps keep the breast moist.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12420 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer my breast meat at 150-155 after the rest/climb, and I like my thighs/legs a little higher (180-185) than the minimum recommended 165. To me, dark meat at 165 is chewy/stringy, so I like to let go a little higher. So my fight is usually the more typical "breast meat is done too soon" deal. I've iced the breasts before cooking to help, and nowadays,I spatchcock the bird and point the legs/thighs towards the coals on the grill; I use a 26" Weber kettle, indirect.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I always thought dark meat took longer to cook cuae of more fat and different meat "make up" or "consistency" I don't know the word for it.

So what you're describing would lead me to believe your white meat pieces are generally thicker, sounds dumb and obvious yeah? I don't have any other explanation or a good way to change the basic anatomy of a bird.

Wrap the leg quarters in foil to start or near the end?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6300 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Maybe it’s because I have a cheap injected turkey. They probably plump up the breast with broth and salt and that could be the cause.

I’m usually more of a purist but these injected turkeys are always moist even if overcooked. It’s sort of a guarantee the guests will approve.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12420 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is kind of strange. And it sounds like you are taking a bunch of readings so it’s not like you are hitting a bone when testing a dark area.

Posts: 3901 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That’s perfect. Like pork shoulder or beef brisket, turkey legs especially and thighs to a lesser extent have a lot of connective tissue that needs temps above 165 to begin to break down.

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
First the USDA recommended temp for all parts of the bird is now 165. They revised down to that from 180 quite sometime ago. Ideal serving temp for white meat is 160 and dark meat is 170. So actually you are almost dead on when you factor in carry over cooking. Remove from the heat when the breast is at 155 or so let the carry over cooking take you to the sweet spot.

Another solution is to spatchcock the bird and things cook more evenly and faster. This is the one day I am not welcome in the kitchen. My wife handles all Thanksgiving meal preparations. I don't approve of her method she uses a cooking bag but she at least let me dry brine the turkey this year.

Even though I don't approve of her method it somehow turns out great!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8522 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post