SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer build time. Enthusiasts step inside please.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer build time. Enthusiasts step inside please. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
True enough. Y’all do fancier stuff than I do, looks like. A friend loaned me a CD to check out. I had to give it back after realizing I hadn’t owned a CD player of any kind in years. Wouldn’t hurt to have a USB external.

Posts: 17189 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
...and try to go for 1000w or higher - next generation will be power HUNGRY.

This.

I was also going to chime in and suggest something bigger than 850W. I have a Corsair 1200W PSU and all is well. Its like having a really nice, big V8 under the hood. More power to spare is nice to have.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Granted I do not "build" my Macs, but I use the internal 500GB drive for OS and boot only, typically only using 40-50GB. I offload all of my data onto external SSDs. This makes for a faster boot time, and an easier OS reinstall or upgrade.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to add a few things to what's already been mentioned. Unless you are getting an amazing deal buy your parts from Amazon that include their free return policy. New Egg in particular is sketchy when it comes to returning DOA parts like a MOBO. In the rare scenarios where you end up a non functioning part you will want a hassle free return policy. You can get 5% back with and Chase Amazon card as well.

Search around for Windows 10 Pro licenses if you can get it cheaper than 11 Pro. You can upgrade to 11 for free, or visa versa.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mic...6370761?athbdg=L1100

Keep us posted, and good luck with the build!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mo4040:
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
...and try to go for 1000w or higher - next generation will be power HUNGRY.

This.

I was also going to chime in and suggest something bigger than 850W. I have a Corsair 1200W PSU and all is well. Its like having a really nice, big V8 under the hood. More power to spare is nice to have.

^^^ I disagree ^^^

Having a uber-honkin' PS is of no value to performance unless you actually need the power.
Running a couple of the biggest GPU's on earth plus an array stack of spinning drives then .... maybe.

I would focus on quality, adequate power computed on actual projected use and manageability through a modular system.

Just because .... is not a competent reason.
IMO....02

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

Based on his current config, he'll need about 500 watts.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hkjw78

Switching to a 3080ti would require about 700 watts
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vfFQGL

Having some overhead doesn't hurt though. I have really liked Silverstone PSUs over the years and have used them in almost every personal build I do. However my current main rig has an EVGA 850, because I got it in a bundle with my 3080TI.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Go 650 on the PSU and use it as well as the GPU in your future budget build you mentioned.

Edited to add:

Make sure you graphics card will fit in your case. I was just about to order one when my son realized it was too long for his case by 4mm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something to consider with regard to power supply selection and future gpu’s...

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post