SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Taught a Friend's Kid to Shoot Today! - Updated Page 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Taught a Friend's Kid to Shoot Today! - Updated Page 2 Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
Young man turns 12 tomorrow, and came out to the farm today with his mom. While she rode her horse, he learned to shoot, drive a Mule side by side, and to drive a front loader.

Never held a gun or touched a steering wheel in his life, and he killed it! Pie plates at 7 yards and he only missed 2 shots out of 47. His parents carry, and he absolutely knew the four rules of safety before he even got here.

Then he moved 15 buckets of dirt for me with the loader and put it where I needed it.

His comment, "This was the coolest birthday EVER!"

Debbie and I went to lunch with him and his mom after, and his mom just texted me. He passed out in the car less than 5 minutes after they headed for home.

This was a good day!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
And he will never forget it - Nice Day

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
You know you just changed the culture for the better by facilitating another young enthusiast. Thank you!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Good on ya! Young man will still remember this day 50 years from now!

BTW, what's that he's shooting? Looks a little like my old High Standard Sport King.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
That's all kinds of awesome!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Good on ya! Young man will still remember this day 50 years from now!

BTW, what's that he's shooting? Looks a little like my old High Standard Sport King.

He shot two guns today; a 1930 Colt Officer's Model .22 and a late '60s Browning Nomad. In that picture, he has the Nomad.

Next time he comes out, we will move up to 9mm, and shoot some .22 rifle as well as a 9mm AR.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Your friend is not a gun owner, I assume?

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Your friend is not a gun owner, I assume?

My friends are gun owners, both carry 9mm pistols, and dad has a Tavor he has never shot. They are typical, busy, upper middle income parents. Mom was a hospital administrator, owns a horse, and cares for son, dad is a dermatologist and surgeon. There's work, school, horse care, karate, soccer, etc. Home is in a nice subdivision.

They have taught the son perfect gun safety, but he had never handled a weapon, or of course, shot one.

He had the 4 rules down cold. The first thing he said to me when we agreed to go shoot is, "treat every gun as if it is loaded." When I took him out to my open air range, I had him just look around and tell me what was the safe direction, and how the gun should be handled. He nailed it.

So the parents have done good safety training, but since they don't shoot much and really have no where to go except public indoor ranges, he hasn't had the chance yet. He made the most of it today, and we will do more of this. In fact, dad wants to come out and zero the Tavor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Ya dun gud! Big Grin

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Nice! The kid will remember this day forever.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Well done. I had a similar experience many many years ago and remember it like it was yesterday.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
That looks like good technique with the pistol.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
God bless you for doing that, Artie!! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
He's a black belt in karate for his age. I showed him grip and told him to use karate stance.

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you both. Love these kind of stories!

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
"This was the coolest birthday EVER!"

I bet it was! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
A birthday neither of you will ever forget. .... You dun gud. ................................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much everything stated above!
He's never going to forget it, and great job!!!

With that smile on his face, you know he's hooked!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hey I'm an adult and I'd consider running a loader and getting some range time a fun day too.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome! Kids (and some adults) love learning to properly use tools. Some of us think of it as important life skill that nobody’s education is complete without.

Congrats on doing several really good things. Let’s hope mom and dad get hooked into shooting more too. My son does a fantastic job of pushing me to shoot more often when he’s home. Smile

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post