SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    50th Anniversary of Abbey Road- Here Comes the Sun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50th Anniversary of Abbey Road- Here Comes the Sun Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Mc Cartney was just on Steven Colbert,
worst interview EVER !

Paul was looking at him side ways almost the whole time,
like, w,t,f, is with this guy ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54646 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
IIRC, Alan Parsons was the engineer on Abbey Road.

He was an assistant engineer, just starting to learn his craft. Geoff Emerick, who first started to work with the Beatles on Revolver, was the engineer. He later became McCartney's engineer for a lot of his solo work. He also engineered Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs. Talented guy.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
will hold off celebrating until next year when Wah Wah hits fifty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFUKVZn8DsI

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54646 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I'm pleased to own a Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Original Master Recording #1-023 of Abbey Road.

Side II might be one of the best album sides ever recorded:, particularly given the seamless flow song to song. In this case the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts:;

Here Come The Sun
You Never Give Me Your Money
Sun King
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
She Came I Through The Bathroom Window
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
The End
(Her Majesty)

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Beatles were a little before my time. My elder sisters really enjoyed their music, but I thought there were so-so. Of that era, I preferred the edgier sound of the Stones. But when Abby Road came out, I immediately appreciated Beatle's music. But I really only like Abbey Road -- the album is a master piece of work. I never did buy any of The Beatles' earlier albums.

I just listened to the new 50th anniversary version of Here Comes the Sun at the start of this thread, and compared it to 2009 remastered version. My thoughts:
- The audio quality is cleaner with the 50th version. Subtle in places, but yes, technology does its thing.
- The lead vocals are more pronounced and edgier in the 50th version, especially near the start of the song. In all honesty, I don't like it.
- The beauty of the 2009 version is the way the vocals blend with the instruments. It's an ensemble -- there isn't an element that stands out or tries to over power the other. The harmonies of the 2009 version seem to work better, too.

I think it's great that such a classic album is being reviewed. Unfortunately, I just don't care for they did with the new mix of this song. I hope they didn't do similar things with rest of the tracks. And it would be absolute heresy if they change Ringo's stunning percussion work.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Abbey is one of my favorite albums - great music and arranging.

I am really enjoying deep-diving into Harrison and McCartney guitar music

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I finally had the time to critically review/compare this fresh version on an ultra-high end analogue system (100K system). I agree with M. Fremer that it is fantastic, and it sounds amazing! However, I also agree that it lacks the original "crunchy" high end, as do many modern re-issues. It really is excellent, but in my opinion, the original UK pressing sounds better, warts included. Just my take.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post