SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TX members, a question for you
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TX members, a question for you Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
just moved here and still have my NC driver's license and CCW.... (I have already switched the cars tags)

when getting a TX LTC (license to carry??-is that what they call them?) is there a time period where I have to be in the state before I can get a CCW?

if so, can I get a TX LTC with my existing NC DL and then transfer/change the info after getting the TX DL?

What I don't want to have to do is get my DL transferred to a TX DL and then have to wait several months to establish residency before being able to carry concealed. AM I making any sense?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Yes.

You can get online (https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/ltc/) to start the process as soon as you have your d/l.

Get your Texas D/l which will avoid confusion. I tried to do it starting from CA, then finish up with the new d/l and address, and it ended up confusing things.

They use the same photo on your d/l and CHL, too.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
From the FAQ on Texas DPS' LTC website:
quote:
11. Do I have to be a resident of Texas to obtain a Texas License to Carry a Handgun?

No. Per Texas Government Code §411.173, legal residents of another state or persons who relocate to Texas with the intent to establish residency may obtain an LTC. Those individuals must submit an application, pay the required fees, successfully complete the required training in Texas and submit all supporting documents. They also must submit form LTC-6, two passport style photos and a copy of their out of state driver license or state issued identification card. Note, however, that all LTC applicants must be legal residents of Texas or another state.

Mike, I know you are a retired LEO from NC, but are you a retired federal LEO? If you're a retired Federal LEO there is special application and a discounted fee.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Yup, once you have your TX DL you can start the process.

And don't do want I did and wait to get you CHL because you have another valid carry permit...then have to explain to the nice PA Trooper who clocked you going triple digits that "yes, I am in PA carrying on a FL permit with a TX DL...and yes it is legal" after they spent 30 minute googling it and in the process asking you to unload your gen3 S&W because they cannot figure it out....let you go

get the class knocked out and if you are a veteran remember they only accept the long form DD214...worth it for the savings

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Be sure to have “veteran” on your d/l if you are one.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

I don't but it is on my CHL

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
While you don’t have to wait to get a DL to start your LTC process it’s easier in the long run if you have the DL first. The good news is getting your DL is pretty straight forward in TX. The new license typically arrives 8-10 after you apply. That said you can go ahead and take the LTC class and get finger prints and photos started now; that way you’re ready when the DL shows up.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:

I don't but it is on my CHL

You can have it on your TX d/l if you wish.

Good for a free lunch on Veterans Day, in some places, etc. maybe other benefits as well.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
While you don’t have to wait to get a DL to start your LTC process it’s easier in the long run if you have the DL first. The good news is getting your DL is pretty straight forward in TX. The new license typically arrives 8-10 after you apply. That said you can go ahead and take the LTC class and get finger prints and photos started now; that way you’re ready when the DL shows up.
Make an appointment to get your driver's license. In a busy city like Houston an appointment will save you several hours.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Make an appointment to get your driver's license. In a busy city like Houston an appointment will save you several hours.

This is good advice. Though if I remember right you’re in the Temple area, so not sure how busy they are around there. We’re lucky to have a small office out in Weatherford that’s off the beaten path. Every time I’ve been out there it’s usually just me and the two ladies working. I’ve seen the big “DPS super-center” locations advertised in Dallas and Fort Worth, always wondered if they were any quicker or just had more of the slow moving lines.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like your question has been answered.

Welcome to Texas!

It’s customary for Sigforum members moving to Texas to treat all of us here to a nice steak dinner, cigars, and alcoholic beverages. Let us know when your ready. Smile

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike, I know you are a retired LEO from NC, but are you a retired federal LEO? If you're a retired Federal LEO there is special application and a discounted fee.

I was in the USCG and was a sworn Boarding Officer, but we were not issued credentials...

quote:

Why??

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

I was in the USCG and was a sworn Boarding Officer, but we were not issued credentials...

quote:

Why??

1. LEOs who look at it know you are in the brotherhood, not just some hippy dirtball slacker, unless you are one anyway.

2. Pride

3. Sometimes a discount

4. Free lunch on Veterans Day in some places.

These are small things in the overall scheme of things, but it’s nice touch while you wait for the officer to hand your widow the folded flag and deliver the thanks of a grateful nation.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. LEOs who look at it know you are in the brotherhood, not just some hippy dirtball slacker, unless you are one anyway.

2. Pride

3. Sometimes a discount

4. Free lunch on Veterans Day in some places.

These are small things in the overall scheme of things, but it’s nice touch while you wait for the officer to hand your widow the folded flag and deliver the thanks of a grateful nation.

ahh, I have a retired .mil ID card I already carry....thanks for the info

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Awesome Texas just got even better !

Welcome!

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Also 10% discount everyday at Lowes and HD. With Lowes it makes it easier if you sign up for their "MyLowes" card (other benefits as well and no spamming). Swipe that at check out and get your discount. HD you ask at check out and show you DL.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
They use the same photo on your d/l and CHL, too.

I really wish AZ included a photo on their CCW permit, making it yet another valid "photo ID".

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post