SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Expired fire extinguishers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Expired fire extinguishers Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
You can have your fire extinguisher recharged. Usually there is a local business that provides the service.
Here is a business in Northern VA:

https://proteksfire.com/fire-extinguishers/

Testing and recertifying them is more expensive than just replacing them
On the smaller ones that's true .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

But then how would the fish cops be able to harass boaters and generate revenue?

If it was about public safety, they'd have new one's with them and compel you to purchase it on the spot. Then go about their business. But it's not, it's revenue generation pretending to be punitive. Good luck putting out the fire with your $100 ticket.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
For god's sake make sure the pin is secured.

This! Co-Worker was going to an emergency call when his cooked off in the back of his Explorer. He spent hours cleaning it and still had powder coming out of his vents for weeks afterwards.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking extinguishers with plastic heads cannot be recharged/serviced and are just disposable. Ones with metal heads can.

Also the rule of thumb is, if the extinguisher doesn't have a hose, it's basically useless.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
If it shows fully charged, put it in your car/truck/van or in the house. Even if you only get a bit out of it if needed, it might be enough.

For god's sake make sure the pin is secured. I had a 5lb dry chem in the back of my SUV for years. One day while moving stuff around the pin must have gotten hooked on something and pulled out (likely the safety tie had broken prior). I moved one more thing and <POOF> I was surrounded in a cloud of yellow powder.

No... it is not fun to clean up
Yes.. it gets everywhere
and... you will find places you didn't know you had.

Yep.

Was a Security Patrol shift supervisor at a defense firm for a while some years back and had one of my security officers manage to set one off in his patrol vehicle. What a friggen mess, I think we had to send it off for a professional cleaning/detailing because that powder gets into EVERY crevice and space.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^ We had a fire and someone used 14 of them to put it out. It made quite a mess.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you do w/ the old one?

If its a cheap non rechargeable one, give it to your local fire department and they will use it for training.

My department uses them in demo's at elementary schools, preschools and business's and has several teachers/employees put out a flammable liquids fire with them.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
And try not to use an ABC extinguisher on your vehicle engine fire which is really steam from a heater hose leak. One ruined engine. Use BC.

Yes that actually happened when we loaned a tour bus to a sports team. It started with some idiot put the ABC in by mistake. Then the team coach couldn't tell steam from smoke...

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
A long time ago I got pulled over by the boat cops. I freely admit I was speeding.
Anyway, the pair of boat cops boarded my small Bayliner I/O for a vessel inspection.
One of them had the ticket book out because they didn't see a fire extinguisher in plain sight.
I had mounted it in a quick release bracket under the dash in front of the driver.
I pulled the Halon fire extinguisher out from under the dash and handed it to the ticket book boat cop.
He started shaking the fire extinguisher up and down feeling for compacted dry chemical powder.
Then he proceeded on a five to ten minute rant about dry powder fire extinguishers being used in boats and how the dry chemical powder got compressed/packed from the constant pounding in boats.
When he finished with his rant, I politely informed him it was a Halon fire extinguisher and had no dry powder in it.
His partner started laughing at the guy that issued the rant.
They turned, got back into their boat, and as they motored away, told me to keep my speed down.
No ticket!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1531 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW the cylinder itself's hydrostatic testing goes out of date. While I've never seen an extinguisher cylinder fail while being stored< I wouldn't want to be around when it happens.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
About 4 years agoI took some CERT training when we did the fire extinguisher portion of the class, I brought my MIL's twenty years (28) 5lbs. unit.

It was in the green, you could hear the powder moving around when skaken so it wasn't caked. The fire chief said he'd have to rethink his recommendations on old chargers if it worked.

It worked like it was new. Out out a few small gas tires and fully discharged. There's vid of it out there somewhere. My SIL bought one at the exact same time and it's 32 years old but still fully charged and the powder moves.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the tip about taking something like a dead-blow hammer and tapping on the base of an ABC extinguisher. I did my dad stuff for the day.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post