SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Recommendation For Law School Graduation Gift
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Recommendation For Law School Graduation Gift Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a Coronado Leather briefcase. It also has a CCW pocket. They are very well made. I've had mine for nine years and I use it everyday. It looks great still. Here are two CCW bags.

https://coronadoleather.com/co...-messenger-550-bc550

https://coronadoleather.com/co...-briefcase-551-bc551

Here is their entire CCW collection including jackets, vests, etc.

https://coronadoleather.com/se...?type=product&q=ccw*

If you don't want a CCW case, they have other great options. Including backpacks that he could use at the office.

https://coronadoleather.com/collections/luggage

An attorney still needs to get their tablet or laptop, phone, lunch, and something to write on and with to court, home, the office and back again. I agree the biggest probably won't be used but a slimmer or midsize bag would be a nice career gift.

A premium Blacks Law would be a cheaper but nice gift.

https://store.legal.thomsonreu...uxe-11th/p/106446362

If you do a pen or pencil set, do one that has a desk display option or it will get lost/taken

Posts: 12473 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
This is mine. It is cheaper than bison but still extremely well made.

https://nrastore.com/nra-rio-b...r-briefcase-ho-24603

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

I have a Coronado Leather briefcase. It also has a CCW pocket.
He'll probably be in Ohio, where his Dad has a law practice.

I don't know what the statute is in Ohio, but here in Florida court houses are on the short list of no-firearms places.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30727 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I don't know what the statute is in Ohio, but here in Florida court houses are on the short list of no-firearms places.

Trying to bring a firearm into an Ohio courthouse will get you a free trip to the hoosegow, for starters.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8806 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like pens, but not everyone does.

I like the silver/gold coin idea.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:
quote:
quote:

Trying to bring a firearm into an Ohio courthouse will get you a free trip to the hoosegow, for starters.
Question: Does that apply to prosecutors, or are they allowed to pack heat?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30727 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Obvious on the courthouse. But to and from work, late nights at the office, etc. they work great. I have a pistol safe secured in my office. I assume he could have one too; he could secure his pistol in that when traveling to court.

The CCW pocket also has other uses.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Hartmann Leather Portfolio, I got mine as a gift back in the 80's when I first started working, still have it and it's lasted all that time travelling around the country to meetings.

You can't beat Hartmann for quality...

The new one has places for pen, legal pad, iPad or thin laptops like Apple etc and you can get it monogrammed

Link Hartman Portfolio

Posts: 23575 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:

Strictly speaking no, BUT the statute specifically leaves it up to the individual Court. A prosecutor is not barred from carrying unless the Court bars it.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8806 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

In Texas, the police can carry a gun in court, unless the judge says no, but it is hard to imagine Texas judges doing that. The judges sometimes have guns at their benches at their discretion, but no one else, including the prosecutors.

There will be an armed baliff in every court, and more are at all over the courthouse. If a court has a problem child in the courtroom, they will call in additional baliffs in advance.

I had one case with a genuinely batty woman, and I once had a remote hearing at which she appeared in person, because she was special that way. I watched about four extra bailiffs come into the courtroom in the fifteen or twenty minutes I waited on Zoom for that hearing to start. At the final hearing, at which the court dismissed her claims on my motion, there were about four or five bailiffs in the court.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Strictly speaking no, BUT the statute specifically leaves it up to the individual Court. A prosecutor is not barred from carrying unless the Court bars it.
I asked because I am under the impression that there are special rules for prosecutors.

For example, I believe that prior to constitutional carry, when permits were required for concealed carry in Ohio, a prosecutor who did not have a concealed carry permit was still allowed to carry concealed within the county where s/he worked as a prosecutor.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Personally I use a Tumi large expandable because I like the large filing cabinet like pocket with 3 sections. As I mentioned before though, the latest generation all goes for the backpack versions.

I’d hate to make a mistake with a weapon going through security, especially federal court.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the leather portfolio or briefcase or rolling catalog style case. As far as pens go, the courts have more and more gone to Efile, so lawyers are almost exclusively using digital signatures on court documents - not pen signatures, and most probably take notes at hearings and elsewhere on their laptop.

Posts: 406 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I asked because I am under the impression that there are special rules for prosecutors.

For example, I believe that prior to constitutional carry, when permits were required for concealed carry in Ohio, a prosecutor who did not have a concealed carry permit was still allowed to carry concealed within the county where s/he worked as a prosecutor.

That I don’t know, but probably. State law specifically bars firearms in courthouses. The law does NOT apply to county prosecutors unless the Court itself has barred firearms on its own. In Hamilton County where I do the majority of my work, firearms are absolutely barred to anyone except Court LEOs. This even applies to off-duty LEOs there for a court appearance.

Robert Heinlein

would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
If you know his style/sartorial influences, can't go wrong with a good time piece. Gold plating is preferable to a silver/chrome appearance, brown or black leather or croc band. Plenty of affordable options. (similar to what I got)

Posts: 2790 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most useful things I got were a leather padfolio from my sister and a nice leather satchel-type briefcase. Still use them every day after about 14 years.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hartmann Leather Portfolio, I got mine as a gift back in the 80's when I first started working, still have it and it's lasted all that time travelling around the country to meetings.

I had started to post similar but it got too wordy and I deleted.

Like HRK I was inspired to get one after attending a meeting in 1993 with a fellow who had one that looked like it had been through hell and back but he was still carrying it.

I got one soon after, and still take it to every meeting. By my estimate it has 1.5-2MM miles on it, somewhere in range of 6-10,000+ meetings over 30 years. Yeah, it's worn, has some nicks, stains and darker/oily spots, but it has been with me through all of everything I've done most of my entire professional life.

Yeah, that's less wordy.... Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12440 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So, I’m sure he prefers to type notes - and that probably is more practical for 99% of what lawyers do.

But, I did find a composition book cover from Gfeller.us to be very useful. It’s very high quality/moderately expensive, but very cheap to refill.

Each client got their own composition book for the in person notes.

And they are easy enough to scan, and shred, when it’s time to store them.

(I also found it handy to have all my old notes with me, as well, even though they were transcribed.)

Young lawyers may not work this way, but I still think a lawyer should not be meeting a client over a computer screen.

Posts: 5747 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post