SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who is still driving a carbureted engine and, what does it feed?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who is still driving a carbureted engine and, what does it feed? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
This does not include your riding mower.. Big Grin. I havn't had anything but fuel injection for many years. Back in my youth, aside from one POS Granada, I had pretty much all big block Chryslers. I actually never had a issue with any of them, which I didn't self create. 383 ci, 400 ci with a 2 barrel and the awsome 440 fed by a 4 barrel. At 20 years of age, I determined that 4 barrel required a rebuild. Why? No particular reason. I bought a rebuild kit and ventured off to my Uncles shed to operate. Somewhere in there I cracked the bakalite main body of that carb. Royally fucked. I cracked it! In the end, the 440 was topped off with a adaptor plate, 650 cfm dual line Holley and tri flo air cleaner. Made the big Chrysler a running dawggie. Never again did I have a urge to tear down a carburator. Do you drive anything which is not fuel injected?

Posts: 17913 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Closest I get is the S&S 88 on my father-in-law's Indian Scout.

He had the carb rebuilt late last year & it made a decent improvement.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While not my daily driver, I do drive it weekly or so.

I have a 2 barrel Rochester (7013007) on my 283 cu. inch V8, driving my 1959 Impala convertible. Oddly enough, the original owner must have ordered a 3sp with overdrive instead of the Powerglide or Turboglide.

The 2 brl is kinda weak, but what do I care with the top down?

P229

Posts: 3843 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I did run dual quads on the nailhead in my '64 Buick, but changed to dual quad EFI a few years back due to issues finding non-ethanol on occasions. (and with the push on E15, I have no worries)

Nailheads valve guides/valve do not like crappy gas, and being interference fit, hanging a valve is expensive. Besides, the carb bodies do not like likkerfuel.

I changed all fuel components to EFI.

When I built the big block for the '68, I used the same EFI system (but single body), and installed all new fuel components as well, so they are essentially the same. Makes maintaining both easier.

Both cars ran fine with carbs, but the EFI switch gives some added benefits, so I am very pleased with them.

Carbs

EFI

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigmonkey,

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
My Dixie Super Skiier has a 351C and we give her 93 typically.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
'68 Mustang and a '70 Honda Trail 90.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
While not my daily driver, I do drive it weekly or so.

I have a 2 barrel Rochester (7013007) on my 283 cu. inch V8, driving my 1959 Impala convertible. Oddly enough, the original owner must have ordered a 3sp with overdrive instead of the Powerglide or Turboglide.

The 2 brl is kinda weak, but what do I care with the top down?
I have seen these but being just born in 1959.. Big Grin. My 2 barrel 400 ci Chrysler was the least problematic vehicle I've ever owned. And it would step right out for a big sedan.

Posts: 17913 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
65 Mustang Holley 4V, 70 Mustang, same

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I remember you Buick sigmonkey. There is a local who shows a Chevy 2 powered by big block. The whole top of its engine is covered up by a Holley EFI system and requires a custom hood. He shows without the hood. That little Chevy is evil on wheels.

posted Hide Post
I don't currently have one. Had an old Scout until a couple months ago. I a previous life I owned a repair shop and then worked at GM as a trainer. Now that I am retired I have found that I can make money rebuilding carbs. Seems the old technology gets lost.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My 78 BMW 320i has Dual Webers.

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Right now just a Polaris ATV. Reminds me why I love computerized fuel injection so much. lol
Back when I was into hot rods I had a couple of Holly double pumper equipped Camaros and Roadrunners.
They always ran tip top.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My last carbureted every day driver was sold in the early 80's.
Early fuel injection wasn't all that great in many cases but the modern versions have done a lot for drivability, mileage, emissions and much lower maintenance.
Fuel injection and electronic ignition are both great improvements, from a practical standpoint.

Posts: 9537 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
My brother has a collection of antique cars that use carburetors. Only the 87 Buick Grand National does not. Neither his nor my daily drivers do. Since the 1990s fuel injection is far superior.

Posts: 27984 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 motorcycle.
Polaris Sportsman 700 ATV.

The bike gets vastly more road usage than the ATV.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s not my daily but as far as carbs go these both have four of them. Two of my favorite vehicles with a carb ehhh I mean eight carbs between then both of em.

petrol 24 hours near me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I have a 1987 Ford Crown Victoria MIB car, with a 351, variable venturi carburetor.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I have a 1975 Ford F250 and a 95 Harley Road King, both carbureted.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6489 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I have seen these but being just born in 1959.. Big Grin. My 2 barrel 400 ci Chrysler was the least problematic vehicle I've ever owned. And it would step right out for a big sedan.

Well, it's the smallest V8 and carb set offered that year. The 283 had four, dual quad and EFI options. The 348 had the four a triple 2-barrel set options. There were certainly better HP options in that era. My 2-brl 283 is 190HP (gross horsepower). My guess today, even rebuilt and running strong, I'd be lucky to get 150HP to the rear wheels.

P229

Posts: 3843 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve a 1978 Bronco that had a 4160 Holley on it for decades. I thought I had running decently. Years ago it became a relic and I only drive it once every few weeks. The Holley got worse and worse with no response to rebuild kits. I swapped on a new Edelbrock copy of the old Carter 4 barrel and it’s never ran better. Highly recommended.
I haven’t bought a carbureted vehicle since the 80’s except a couple of ATVs. My latest lawn mower is fuel injected.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 335 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post