SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HVAC Advice Needed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HVAC Advice Needed Login/Join 
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted
The heat pump for the 2nd floor of my home crapped out and I'm running into an issue replacing it. The air handler for that one is in an attic space located above a bedroom that is accessed through a panel in the closet of the bedroom. The HVAC guy said that the replacement air handler that I would normally get is too big to fit through the opening. He's only got one option that will fit and it's a multi-stage unit that costs several thousand more. I asked him if the air handler could be taken apart and reassembled in the attic but he said that it's not likely to go back together correctly if you do that. Anyone run into a similar situation?

If it matters, my current units are Trane products from 2001. The HVAC guy I contacted (highly recommended) installs Lennox and Carrier products.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So the airhandler needs to be replaced too. It cannot be used with a replacement coil for the new OD unit? I assume he is recommending a brand specific replacement.
An upgrade of several thousand seems excessive. I am guessing he is crazy busy and is not excited about this job. If he takes it is is going to be a big profit job.

I would seek out a couple other referral installers for quotes.

Sounds like this guy is trying to put the screws to you.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Add a second attic access with a pull down in a guest bedroom.

Should be able to do it for $500 or so, including paint and molding, less if you can do it yourself.

Example from Lowe's

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20828 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
First off, what is wrong with the current system? HVAC companies don’t make near as much profit off of doing repairs but instead are sometimes quick to replace an entire system. If it’s just a capacitor in a condensing unit (20 bucks for the part) or even a fan motor it might be worth repairing.

If it’s something like a compressor failure that would be different.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would check with other HVAC guys.

Sounds like he doesn't have what you need.

One size does not fit all.

Measure the opening and go inline and check specs for units of the capacity your need.

Check with Trane for current replacement units.

May be and easy slide in slide out fix

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trane is fine but a little more expensive. The newer equipment might be a little larger (more efficient). Just double check the measurements.

Could you explain the reason you need a complete system change out. Trane, American Standard, Goodman, Rheem, Carrier they all work pretty much the same.

Also, please make sure the installer is a licensed contractor, and able to register your unit after the installation for factory warranty.

Please feel free to post questions. I will be glad to help. I am a licensed HVAC contractor.
Good lucks,

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: April 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Air handlers can be taken apart, very easily, and the three sides folded into each other somewhat.... They can go into some tight spaces.

Not go back together correctly??? It is a coil that slides in, and a blower that slides in...

Get another tech.

He doesn't want the business, and will do a half assed job in the attic based on information you have provided.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Add a second attic access with a pull down in a guest bedroom.

Should be able to do it for $500 or so, including paint and molding, less if you can do it yourself.

Example from Lowe's

There's an idea that hadn't occurred to me. I'll climb up there and see if it's doable.

Edit to add: The biggest problem I"m running into with the other trusted HVAC guys I've talked with is that they are 2+ weeks out vs. the original guy who's company can get it done tomorrow.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:
Air handlers can be taken apart, very easily, and the three sides folded into each other somewhat.... They can go into some tight spaces.

Not go back together correctly??? It is a coil that slides in, and a blower that slides in...

Get another tech.

He doesn't want the business, and will do a half assed job in the attic based on information you have provided.

These were my thoughts exactly, I was just waiting for more information about what was wrong with the old unit. Smile

———————————————

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:

Get another tech.

These were my thoughts exactly, I was just waiting for more information about what was wrong with the old unit. Smile

Old unit needs a new fan and the compressor is "showing warning signs". The thing is 19 years old, so I'm not really looking to put any money into repairing it. They did offer that option.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The tech saying “showing warning signs” sounds like a line to me. That’s an old scare tactic line. Unless the system has been problematic I would replace the motor, install some attic stairs and move on.

———————————————

posted Hide Post
I'm an HVAC guy, but I don't do residential so can't advise on that but agree with "compressor showing warning signs" is a scare tactic.

If the guy was able to manually close off the suction line and do a quick pump down, shut system off & watch pressure equalization to assess suction & discharge valves in the head - would be one thing - highly doubt that was done though.

Hard starts (high current draw), noisy operation would be some other things......

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I am also in this business, and have a few comments: yes, you can pull the blower motor and coil to fold the cabinet down to fit through a tighter space and re-assemble. It adds an hour or so, but no big deal. You can enlarge an opening as well.

As for waiting.... if there is an HVAC company that can show up tomorrow... in the middle of summer.... ? I would be VERY suspect that they either, A) have set you up for a screwing that is worth putting someone else off for. Or B) they are probably not very good at what they do / or are new.

Multi stage and veritable equipment is nice stuff. It’s quiet and efficient. But if you don’t have enough ductwork to support the Low delivery Static pressures, I wouldn’t recommend it.

As for brands: Carrier, Trane, Lennox, all good equipment. 80% or more of the Equipment issues reported annually Are installation issues, so find a company you trust and wait for them.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Replace the fan...

Wait till november to replace unit.

Will be cooler, and HVAC business will be hungry.

Warning signs???

High amperage? Pressure issues?

He couldn't run it if fan not running without issues showing...

Replace the fan, find a new company, to do so.

*May just be a capacitor on the fan, could be a less than $10 part...

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to find a competent HVAC tech.

As the one you're dealing with now doesn't qualify.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, you need to replace the air handler if you're replacing the condensor. 2001 was R22 freon and smaller line sizes, new units are 410, so old air handler (and line set) not compatible with newer units and at 19 years, I'd replace both.

Put a fan in it and run it until it dies. I have seen equipment with a noisey compressor go a long time and other times not. Tell your tech you can't afford to replace it right now. Start getting quotes from other companies.
Start looking for other companies/techs.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in a union shop for years, buddy jumped over to a non-union shop & tried to recruit me in.

His main selling point to offset the pay decrease......"They pay a commission on any sales you make during the service call"

Oh, so I talk Mr. or Ms. customer into garbage they don't need or replace a working system that just needs a repair....its okay cause I get a commission. Nice!

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
This. Likely theres a good reason why this guy isn't super busy and the "trusted HVAC" guys are...

quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
You need to find a competent HVAC tech.

As the one you're dealing with now doesn't qualify.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, gents. I climbed up and checked it out and there's no way to add a pull-down without a major redesign. Hard to explain, but when you climb up the access panel, there's another 4 feet up to a second attic level on which the air handler and hard ducts are located. I have no idea why it was done that way.

I had another HVAC guy who I trust come look and he and he said that the sizing issue has more to do with making the turn under the roof-line up there. I have a separate attic space that would work for the air handler, but the ducts would have to be totally reworked and the cost ends up being about the same. In the end, I have two options that cost about $9500 for the full replacement job (2.5 ton, 15-seer systems).

The repair option was around $900 from either outfit and I'm not interested in spending $900 on an almost 20-year old heat pump.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
$900 is ridiculous for a new fan motor install. But sounds like you want a new system so good luck.

———————————————