SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elk roast thawed in fridge. Going to cook tomorrow (Tues.)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk roast thawed in fridge. Going to cook tomorrow (Tues.) Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
The last one I did had good flavor but was a bit tough. Need suggestions on cooking it. I have all day if need be.

The last time i did it in the slow cooker. Potatoes, carrots, onion, etc.

I would like to impress the lady and have a killer meal. Suggestions.

I could smoke it on an electric smoker I have. Not sure about that though.

Go ahead and help a brutha out. Cool

Thanks guys and gals.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post

I use this all the time with deer or beef It's great. To this I add mushrooms, onion, celery, and couple shakes of crushed red pepper flakes. It doesn't disappoint. When done the meat will be tender and kind of shred apart. Put it over rice, egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or nothing.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1142 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hray, I used most of it.

Roast, carrot, red potatoes, celrey, little onion, mushrooms, spices, HV dry, Aus jus, dry. 1/3 cup water. Couple pads of butter and its doing its thing. Looks good. I will report back. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
24 hour sous vide.
Season it up and add aromatics and vacuum seal it up. Then put it in a 130 degree water bath for 24 hours. When it's time to eat toss it on a grill or oiled skillet to sear the outside and you're ready to eat.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Cool look forward to the results

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1142 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
It was very good. The roast itself was not tough but firm. Not like a pot roast. All the seasonings used seemed to cook themselves out. It was a 7.5 on a scale of 10. not the best I have ever had. But good. Will see how the let overs eat Smile

Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
I haven't added potatoes from the start. We will put it over a starch cooked separately. I think the potatoes when cooking it from start act like a sponge and suck up the liquid and seasoning. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP