SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have a Berkey?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a Berkey? Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
When I was a lad, we lived in Liberia.

My mother was fanatical about our drinking water. She boiled and filtered through our ceramic Big Berkey enough water for a family of five, plus three servants, a gardener, and a night watchman.

None of us contracted a water borne disease in nearly four years.

That is effective.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Done= Thank You. Looks like the Memorial Day Sale is still on and if you register for email updates they send you a 10% off coupon code.

My girlfriend wanted one but I wasn't convinced until it got the Sigforum thumbs up.

Not working for me, and the sale ended on the 3rd - according to their chat rep.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Berkey is a great water filter system. I have fluoride filters as well as the black filters . Water tastes great. My son has one and sold me in it. Once I got the priming down, it’s easy to clean and care for. Customer service is really awesome. I got a sight glass spigot and had a little problem which they took care of in a day. They have answered all of my questions , which are myriad.

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Liberia is hell of a testament.

I will say the water tastes superb.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting this thread.

Every item on their website is out of stock and no hint of when availability will improve.

What are some alternatives?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Go to PURE-EARTH for water filters. Lots of good technical information on different types of systems.

https://www.pure-earth.com/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Go to PURE-EARTH for water filters. Lots of good technical information on different types of systems.

https://www.pure-earth.com/

Thanks, but that's way more work and money than I want to expend.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Resurrected thread? Hell yeah Berkey folks!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Every item on their website is out of stock and no hint of when availability will improve.

What website are you on, they look to have plenty in stock.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Does it do anything better than our reverse osmosis filter which takes up no counter space and also feeds our ice makers?

In fact, looking at the website they make no claims about removing bacteria or viruses. Ours, removes Giardia and Cryptosporidium as well.

Their big knock on reverse osmosis:

"While removing the bad from your water, you are also removing the good. Beneficial minerals such as Iron, Potassium, Calcium, Cobalt, and Manganese are now nonexistent."

And yet their filter removes:

"Iron (>99.9%), Cobalt (>95%), Manganese (>99.9%)"

None of their published tests indicate they tested their filters for the removal of potassium or calcium.

They knock reverse osmosis for removing the same minerals their filter removes. Roll Eyes It's really a weak knock in the first place because water is not a main source of those minerals for most people.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

What website are you on, they look to have plenty in stock.

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/...water-filter-systems

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I don't know which site is direct but this one has stock.

https://www.berkeywaterfilter....gory/berkey-filters/

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have an RO system and love it, but my mom bought a Berkey and she loves it and I think it is great too because if it came down to it you could filter Lake or stream water in it.

Clean the bottom chamber monthly with dish soap. You can also do the top chamber, but you have to remove the filters as you don’t want dish soap touching them. If you remove the filters, make sure you have clean hands and set them on a clean surface until you put them back in.

If your filter rate slows down after time (how long it takes to fill bottom chamber) then you can remove the filters, scrub then with a clean scrub pad, purge them with the faucet as you did in the initial setup, and re-install.

My mom bought direct from Berkey and saved A LOT by buying a “blemished” model. The blemish was a super minor dent in the wall of the top chamber. We had to search to even find the blemish.

Every once in a while they have sales on the filters. Since they last a long time, wait until there is a sale and then pick up a new set of filters for when you need them since they are expensive.

A Berkey has an edge over RO as many beneficial minerals remain in the water in a Berkey where a RO system removes absolutely everything.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of the Berkey. We spend the winter traveling, ending up in AZ for a few months. No matter where we are the water tastes the same from the Berkey.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Does it do anything better than our reverse osmosis filter which takes up no counter space and also feeds our ice makers?

In fact, looking at the website they make no claims about removing bacteria or viruses. Ours, removes Giardia and Cryptosporidium as well.

Their big knock on reverse osmosis:

"While removing the bad from your water, you are also removing the good. Beneficial minerals such as Iron, Potassium, Calcium, Cobalt, and Manganese are now nonexistent."

And yet their filter removes:

"Iron (>99.9%), Cobalt (>95%), Manganese (>99.9%)"

None of their published tests indicate they tested their filters for the removal of potassium or calcium.

They knock reverse osmosis for removing the same minerals their filter removes. Roll Eyes It's really a weak knock in the first place because water is not a main source of those minerals for most people.

Yeah I like my RO and you get minerals from foods and vitamins. They do claim to remove viruses and bacteria and say you can filter Lake or stream water in it which is really the only leg up I see on the Berkey along with the fact you can take it somewhere. What does Berkey Water Filter remove? Lab Test Results

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Berkey at home, and a RO system at work. Perhaps I am not changing the RO filters often enough, but the Berkey water tastes much better than my RO water.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
In fact, looking at the website they make no claims about removing bacteria or viruses.

But they do remove a lot of money from your wallet! Big Grin

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post