SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have a Berkey?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a Berkey? Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted
Just set ‘er up. Super tasty!
(Water here tastes like fish.)

Any suggestions? I think I broke all the rules yesterday. Had it overflowing onto the floor … overfilled. Lol!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
Love mine
I got the sight glass tap , so I can tell if it is going to overflow

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What model is that? My girlfriend wants one. The tap water definitely tastes funky here.

Please tell me so I can order one. What filters are you using? How do you know when to replace the filters etc.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Why this versus a Brita filter, either on the tap or a pitcher type? Is it significantly different filtration, or taste, or is the cost per gallon of filtered water?

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I bought it from the manufacture website. They just had a huge sale over memorial day weekend. I’m sure Labor Day will probably yield another sale.

IIRC, this is The Royal model; has six holes for six filters although I’m only running two at the moment. You can add more filters if you need higher flow rates.

Filtration out of the box with their black filters is 99.9999% pure, eliminating most bacteria viruses and a lot of chemicals. They do provide extra filtration if you wish for fluoride and other specific minerals. This is much better than a Britta.

With clean water filters are good for 6000 gallons.

I was going to do reverse osmosis but it turns out it can leech out too many minerals from your bones/body.

However I live right next to the ocean therefore reverse osmosis makes a lot of sense for endless water supply.

Where I live the water table is fairly high, I could just dig a hole, let her fill with water, decant after letting the dirt settle out, and then filter through (fine mesh) and the Berkey.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGnified,

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We have one, love it. We bought it for traveling as when we use it the water tastes the same anywhere in the country. It’s a big money saver over time vs. bottled water.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I’ve had one for a couple years now. All my drinking and cooking water goes through it. I have the four filter model, 2.5 gallon. (Big Berkeley, I think?)
Makes a great pot of coffee. I have a spare set of filters (the charcoal filters are pricey) but the first set still seem to be doing fine.
I fill it up nearly every night, water is filters by the time I get up the next morning.
I do plan to get the sight glass tap.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Can you clean and re-use the filters or are they replacement only?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Can you clean and re-use the filters or are they replacement only?

I believe they’re one time use only however 6000 gallons is a lot of water. During Memorial Day they were selling a pack of two for $177.

I too bought back-ups, but I’m thinking about purchasing more. They look like activated charcoal cylinders. I’m sure their website offers much more detail.

If I drank a gallon of water a day (times three), I’d still only use about 1000 gallons per year.

If $200 lasted three to six years I’d be pretty damn happy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGnified,

~Robert A. Heinlein

posted Hide Post
I've been reading and watching their product information:

"Routinely cleaning the Black Berkey Filters extends the life span, and increases flow rate. One of the many benefits of Berkey water filtration systems is the sustainability. The filters used in the system are not single-use disposable. These filters last extensively longer than other filter systems and have the ability to be cleaned. Instead of tossing a dirty filter, Berkey filters can be scrubbed and continuously used."

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/...ey-filters-resources

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used ours for many years. It works great. I clean the filters once in a while and replace them about 18 months for us. I second the glass tube so you don't overflow. I wouldn't be without one. I used to use 100% distilled, but the dr suggested I quit for the same reason of the reverse osmosis system.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
I've been reading and watching their product information:

"Routinely cleaning the Black Berkey Filters extends the life span, and increases flow rate. One of the many benefits of Berkey water filtration systems is the sustainability. The filters used in the system are not single-use disposable. These filters last extensively longer than other filter systems and have the ability to be cleaned. Instead of tossing a dirty filter, Berkey filters can be scrubbed and continuously used."

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/...ey-filters-resources

This noob thanks you! That’s terrific news.

~Robert A. Heinlein

posted Hide Post
6 of us in the house, so we went with the 6 gallon Crown Berkey. Still only running 2 black, and 2 white filters.

I now have a love affair with drinking water, and everyone in the house is drinking much more water, too! We've pretty much eliminated bottled water purchases as well. LOVE our Berkey!!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I am fortunate to live in a little water district with 900 customers. Our water comes from a few deep wells into aquifers ... the water is pure with no chemicals of any kind added. No chlorine, no fluoride. Our water is tested monthly by the state and has numerous times been voted the best.

I case of SHTF ... I have a homemade berkey style filter for surface water purification. I also have a small well that taps into one of our shallow aquifers as well.

Love our water ... we are fortunate.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
6 of us in the house, so we went with the 6 gallon Crown Berkey. Still only running 2 black, and 2 white filters.

I now have a love affair with drinking water, and everyone in the house is drinking much more water, too! We've pretty much eliminated bottled water purchases as well. LOVE our Berkey!!

Ha! My children said I’d be much happier if I would just hydrate more. I will say I’m drinking more water than the last 24 hours. Big Grin

~Robert A. Heinlein

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
I am fortunate to live in a little water district with 900 customers. Our water comes from a few deep wells into aquifers ... the water is pure with no chemicals of any kind added. No chlorine, no fluoride. Our water is tested monthly by the state and has numerous times been voted the best.

I case of SHTF ... I have a homemade berkey style filter for surface water purification. I also have a small well that taps into one of our shallow aquifers as well.

Darn it… I just ran the public utilities report for our water… Just full of chlorinated hydrocarbons for starters.

~Robert A. Heinlein

posted Hide Post
Done= Thank You. Looks like the Memorial Day Sale is still on and if you register for email updates they send you a 10% off coupon code.

My girlfriend wanted one but I wasn't convinced until it got the Sigforum thumbs up.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:

Darn it… I just ran the public utilities report for our water… Just full of chlorinated hydrocarbons for starters.

Unfortunately your water comes from surface water and the reason it needs to be chlorinated.

As our water comes from deep aquifers mother nature's earth is one big ass berkey filter and thus why our water is so pure.

Someday, lets meet at our little water district and we could fill up a few big jugs of water for you to try ... and could set up for all the refills you want for free. Let me know.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I went with zerowater instead to get distilled water quality for the humidifiers. For use in my neti pot, I boil the filtered water. I also drink the water and I figure I get the minerals I need from the vitamins my wife makes me take.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I've had one for a long time. Years ago one forum I was on asked berkey for lab testing proving their filtration claims and berkey refused to provide it. Maybe they have since then but I've been using Doulton ceramic filters for years now instead of berkey.
https://doulton.com/ultra-sterasyl

Doulton filter

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post