SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I really stepped in it now... I'm the HOA president.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I really stepped in it now... I'm the HOA president. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I hear George Zimmerman is looking for work

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
i hope life improves for you!

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
How long before you open the 1000 yard rifle range?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7309 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I've done it twice. I swore after the first one, I'd never do it again. Good luck.

Posts: 11711 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I've at least wanted to do it once to say I did my part. I've been on the architectural review committee since the beginning and now I've rotated to this position. I wanted to be active in the HOA to ensure things aren't too controlling but also make sure things don't get out of control either.

I'll always try to remain active in some way, just so I can see what's going on with the HOA.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5540 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insist they play Hail To The Chief before you enter the meetings.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16410 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same situation, Benny6. All three of us are brand new to the job with no previous Board members remaining for continuity. Within the first 2 minutes of the first meeting I was elected president because I received more votes from the homeowners than the other two. <Lana Voice> "Yaaay."<Lana Voice> Roll Eyes

So far, no complaints from the homeowners, but that's simply because we aren't the old Board members. I'm sure the Honeymoon Phase will be over quickly and the Nattering Nabobs of Negativity will soon get bored and start stirring the pot again. We've been meeting once a week for 2-3 hours just to get a handle on the duties of Board members and dealing with the shit that comes out of nowhere. I've personally been putting in at least 20+ hours a week just trying to get things organized and establish a battle rhythm, but managing the crisis-du-jour doesn't leave much time to get ahead.

Our HOA management company is not earning the money they're getting paid, and they are not liking the new expectations of performance and requests for justification of under-performance. They have already made veiled threats of not renewing the contract if we continue to ask questions, but if we can get our collective feces consolidated we might punt them before that happens. Keep an eye on your management company if you have one, and know their contract backwards and forwards. Management companies with a surly attitude shouldn't be kept around.

Best of luck to you, Benny6. I've observed the previous Board enough over the last few years to know it's a thankless job, and the best outcome I can envision is to not be sued by the end of my term. And believe me, I already know I'm only doing one term!

Cheers!

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2570 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
2 year term.

I can do whatever I want; right?

Let's see...

-Build a wall?
-Neighborhood security cameras
-$200 monthly fine for anyone who owns a Tesla or Prius
-Monthly dues waived Law enforcement/military/veterans or anyone displaying an American flag...
-$200 monthly penalty for anyone who does not produce proof of firearms ownership...

Yeah, I know, that's not how it works, but I can dream; right?

In all seriousness, we'll see how this goes. As soon as we left the building the exiting treasurer and secretary informed me we were in the process of switching HOA managing companies, so we've got some things to deal with after Christmas. The previous president moved and the interim president was a no-show. Our HOA is very new and only three years old. The management company is the one the neighborhood builder picked because they were cheap.

Any advice from anyone who's held the position would be appreciated.

Get yourself some liability insurance that covers defamation. I see HOA board members sued all the time because they say or write something about a homeowner and the homeowner gets wind of it. A typical homeowner policy's liability coverage won't cover defamation.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in Michigan:
Good luck to you, Mr. President!

I'd recommend a Doomsday machine too.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4638 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I was president of mine which has 64 owners for several years. As someone said I was 1 vote out of five, which in the beginning was 5 smart easy going well adjusted individuals dispensing with matters quickly and unanimously. It was a breeze. Then, over time the best and brightest board members either moved or died and eventually the stupidity and pettiness of some of the new ones made doing anything and everything a chore. Since dealing with assholes for free isn’t my thing I refused to run again at that point. They’ve since voted the biggest headaches out but “thanks but no thanks” is my response whenever asked to do it again. Good luck to you!

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
My personal favorites were the idiots that would try to use the HOA to settle petty and personal disputes with each other.

"When did you talk to them and what did they say? Oh, you haven't talked to them? Well this sounds like a great time to discuss it with them or, call the po-po if they're breaking the law."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14174 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
That is a thankless job, Good luck to you!

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
2 year term.

I can do whatever I want; right?

Let's see...

-Build a wall?
-Neighborhood security cameras
-$200 monthly fine for anyone who owns a Tesla or Prius
-Monthly dues waived Law enforcement/military/veterans or anyone displaying an American flag...
-$200 monthly penalty for anyone who does not produce proof of firearms ownership...

Yeah, I know, that's not how it works, but I can dream; right?

In all seriousness, we'll see how this goes. As soon as we left the building the exiting treasurer and secretary informed me we were in the process of switching HOA managing companies, so we've got some things to deal with after Christmas. The previous president moved and the interim president was a no-show. Our HOA is very new and only three years old. The management company is the one the neighborhood builder picked because they were cheap.

Any advice from anyone who's held the position would be appreciated.

I spent 8 years as the President of the Wallingford HOA.
Run, run far. Run fast.

Really though, it was pretty chill. Treat the homeowners as you would a large group of employees. Answer questions, present facts.
We had an annual meeting. I had been against raising dues. Our secretary and my best friend who was in favor of raising the dues bet me $100 that I couldn’t get the room full of people to vote yes on a dues increase. $10 a month or more.
He threw out two points, landscaping and pavement.
I convinced over 50 homeowners with a unanimous vote to raise the dues $20 a month. $10 paying for better landscaping and $10 for a five year special assessment to save for repacking the street in the future. Not one person said no.

It’s all about how you sell it. We did a lot of good things. Started getting the yards in perfect order. Placed a huge sign at the entrance if the neighborhood with some parking rules and if you don’t live here, stay out if the park, and unless you’re selling cookies, no soliciting.

It can be rewarding. Find the token crazy and get them in your pocket. Makes life easier.

Godspeed Benny.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4404 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post