SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WTF, Honda drops 2.0 Turbo engine from 2023 Accord lineup with only 1.5T and hybrid available
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTF, Honda drops 2.0 Turbo engine from 2023 Accord lineup with only 1.5T and hybrid available Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
I haven't been keeping up with cars for a while but we have ben thinking of getting a new Accord within the next year or so, no big hurry. We just love our 2014 EX-L V6 and the performance it has and mileage running on regular gas.

So I read the 2023 Accord is the first year of the latest Accord generation and when checking out the lineup I notice no 2.0T engine anymore, just the 1.5T and Hybrids Mad. Don't know what Honda was thinking unless the 2.0T model was not a good seller but I see them all over the place out here. Acura still offers the 2.0T but it requires premium gas and I don't want that because it is usually about a buck more than regular around here.

https://automobiles.honda.com/...rd-sedan#performance

At this point we will probably go with Toyota Camry for next new car as they still offer V6 engine and non CVT auto transmission too. Honda nd Toyota are the only two manufacturers we will consider. Just bummed out reading about Honda not offering the 2.0T in the Accord anymore. There probably are still new 2022 Accords available but we don't really want to buy at this time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Wow, I can't believe that. They are screwing the pooch with half the models being hybrid.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I agree. I don't want a hybrid. We don't drive enough to justify the extra cost and more complexity means more can go wrong and increase maintenance and repair costs plus the performance is not there compared to the 2.0T. Maybe I will get lucky and it will show up in the 2024 model year. In any case we are not parting with the 2014 EX-L V6 either as that will by "my" car LOL. I am retired and young wife will still be working a few years yet. My current car is our 2004 EX-L V6 Accord that is still running well. I drive less than 100 miles a week these days.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the Accords are CVT now!

Posts: 1067 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have the 1.5T engine in my 2020 CR-V and it's been plenty adequate for me. YMMV....no pun intended.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38600 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the 2.0T was a great motor for the Accord. I came really close to picking one up when I was shopping to replace my F150 back in 2018.
The 2.0T also had a traditional automatic & not a CVT.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nshumway:

They have come a long way imo. Both my daughters have reasonably new accords. Cvt feels different but seems to perform well and they have had no problem with them.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
quote:

They have come a long way imo. Both my daughters have reasonably new accords. Cvt feels different but seems to perform well and they have had no problem with them.

I've never driven a Honda CVT, but have heard from those that have, that they're one of the best.
Nissan CVTs I've driven are the worst, absolutely hated how they drove.
Subaru (Outback & Impreza at least) that I've driven were great & 'pretend' to be a regular automatic in normal driving.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Test drove a CR-V with the 1.5 Turbo in it a few years ago. Didn't care for it. Not a fan of Turbo or small displacement engines.

When that engine first came out it had some type of oil consumption issue, supposedly it has be corrected.

In 2017 I test drove a Volvo S90. It was a very nice car, lots of nice features, but seemed overpriced. It had a 2.0L with a Supercharger and a Turbocharger, I believe it was rated at 300hp. Seemed like a lot of things to go wrong, especially being a Volvo.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
FWIW, I have the 1.5T engine in my 2020 CR-V and it's been plenty adequate for me. YMMV....no pun intended.

That is a great engine (at least the later/current ones), just wanting the 2.0T. Smile

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, since dropping the 2.0T as they had standard type auto. That's one thing I really like about the Camry V6 as it has both V6 and non CVT auto. Supposedly Honda and Toyota have the best CVT transmissions. I tend to keep a car for a long time and am still a bit wary how CVT will hold up for the long run and that they are very expensive to repair/replace.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

Have you had any oil dilution issues? I have a 2019 and while I know Honda says they fixed the issue I still end up with gas in my oil. I've had Honda/Acura's since 2000 and all have been reliable just hoping this one is the same.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
comet, not that I've noticed....smelled when changing my oil. I use Mobil 1 synthetic and change at 6,000 miles with filter.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38600 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:

Yeah, since dropping the 2.0T as they had standard type auto. That's one thing I really like about the Camry V6 as it has both V6 and non CVT auto. Supposedly Honda and Toyota have the best CVT transmissions. I tend to keep a car for a long time and am still a bit wary how CVT will hold up for the long run and that they are very expensive to repair/replace.

My wife's car is a 2018 Avalon with the V6. Even with the larger size of the Avalon vs the Camry, that sucker preforms. Put it in spots mode and you've got to be careful not to look like a teenager jumping from stoplights. Gas mileage is not great. My wife who makes zero effort to conserve gas (accelerate then brake) gets 23 around town. Highway is much better though.

I used to be a big Honda fan, having had two, but I'm just not a fan of CVT.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Being a new design, they might add the 2L later.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Totota made the tundra a V6 and the Highlander has no V6 option anymore, gone 4cyl turbo. They're trying to meet fuel economy numbers I guess. I think Toyota does a CVT differently than Honda but it's excellent in my wife's Rav4.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
I have a 2015 Accord EX-L with a V6 and really like it. It has 208k miles on it and will drive it 'til the wheels fall off. It has been very dependable and has plenty of power for what it is.

Just can't see "upgrading" to a 1.5L. Can't see it at all.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
The 3.0 V6 I had in my old Accord was great. I refuse to drive a 2.0 or smaller engine so I stopped buying Honda. You used to be able to get larger engines in Acura but not sure if that is still true.

Posts: 4077 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
My friend's 2018 CRV has an oil dilution problem. The old oil smells like gasoline when it comes out and by the time I change it the level is above the full mark.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The wife has a 2017 CR-V with the 1.5 Turbo and the CVT. She loves that car and we have had zero problems with it since it was new. That car has plenty of power, believe me and the CVT does take a little time getting used to but that only lasts for a few weeks.

We have had no dilution issues. Oh, and she gets a solid 33 mpg around town and maybe 37 on a trip. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post