SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finally escaped Illinois
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally escaped Illinois Login/Join 
posted
Didn’t move too far away…just to the slightly less communist state of Wisconsin. I moved to Milwaukee a couple months ago but cut ties with Illinois yesterday when I closed on selling my house there. I still do work in Illinois but at least I’m no longer paying taxes there any longer. It feels really good to know that I’m no longer supporting the corruption that is Illinois politics, nor that pension fund that is going to eventually sink that state. Add me to the statistics of people leaving under Pritzker’s governorship.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

I’ve had several family members escape Illinois and cross the Cheddar Curtain into Wisconsin.

I keep telling the wife we need to get out because it just keeps getting worse.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your escape! A location change is in order... Wink

ETA - Nevermind... Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8918 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to (relative) Freedom.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

But, I don't understand this:
quote:
I still do work in Illinois but at least I’m no longer paying taxes there any longer.

I thought you had to pay Illinois taxes if you live OR work in Illinois?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24136 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
You do still have to pay income taxes, but not the ridiculous property taxes.
Wisconsin has plenty of taxes. I used to live there.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
First, congrats on getting out!
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
I still do work in Illinois but at least I’m no longer paying taxes there any longer.

Maybe you're right, but I'd check with a tax pro before making that assumption. State tax rules can be counterintuitive, and where you happen to live/reside is only one factor.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You do still have to pay income taxes, but not the ridiculous property taxes.

Strange how things have changed. 40 years ago people moved to Illinois to get away from the high Wisconsin taxes.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4273 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Congrats!

But, I don't understand this:
quote:

I thought you had to pay Illinois taxes if you live OR work in Illinois?

Nope. Illinois and Wisconsin have a reciprocal agreement as far as income taxes go. You only pay income tax to the state you live in. I might work in Illinois still but I now pay income taxes to Wisconsin.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CONGRATS!!!!

One of these days, Ill be able to get out of here!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:

...Illinois and Wisconsin have a reciprocal agreement as far as income taxes go. You only pay income tax to the state you live in...

Same with IL and IA. I live in Iowa and used to work in IL, paid IA taxes only.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope. Illinois and Wisconsin have a reciprocal agreement as far as income taxes go. You only pay income tax to the state you live in. I might work in Illinois still but I now pay income taxes to Wisconsin.

Ahh... yes. I've heard of that.
Unfortunately, Missouri and Illinois have NO such reciprocal agreement.
Missouri has a lower income tax and my wife recently took a job in Illinois. Roll Eyes

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24136 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post