SIGforum
Christmas fruitcake

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1140021534

December 24, 2017, 02:31 PM
Pipe Smoker
Christmas fruitcake
Just got a Collin Street Bakery fruitcake from my brother & SIL. Lots of folks poke fun at fruitcake, but the Collin Street is pretty good. Especially when moistened with some good whiskey.

Serious about crackers
December 24, 2017, 02:40 PM
Love fruitcakes, yep especially when moistened with a little rum. My sister makes them every year at this time.

Q

December 24, 2017, 03:16 PM
ARman
I miss my mom's fruitcake....the best!

ARman
December 24, 2017, 03:36 PM
triggertreat
Doesnt every family have at least one? Smile

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!
December 24, 2017, 03:38 PM
Fredward
Not a fan, but my wife is. This will be the fifth year, I believe, I have gotten her one. She doesn't drink, so the whiskey/fruitcake thing works out great for both of us.
December 24, 2017, 03:45 PM
SigM4
Collins St is my favorite (I’m a biased Texan though). However, Assumption Abbey out of Ava, MO is outstanding as well.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
December 24, 2017, 03:54 PM
TSE
I make my own. Light fruit bourbon cake. Not as dense and chewy as a dark cake and the bourbon really smells and tastes great in it.

Calgary Shooting Centre
December 24, 2017, 04:16 PM
Elk Hunter
We like the German style Christmas cake.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter
December 24, 2017, 04:18 PM
elde
Been having a Collin Street Bakery fruitcake now for 56 years in a row. Send them out to customers and friends as well. Wonderful!

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
December 24, 2017, 04:43 PM
MrToad
I would agree with the Collin Street fruitcake assessment. I liked it enough last year get one for myself after my wife had ordered one for her aunt for Christmas for years. I like Pipe Smoker's whiskey recommendation so I may try that later today or tonight.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.
December 24, 2017, 04:59 PM
recoatlift
We like the Greman Stollen brand. I find it at big lots or dollar stores.
December 24, 2017, 06:09 PM
2BobTanner
Forget the fruitcake; drink the rum. Wink

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken
December 24, 2017, 06:15 PM
patw
"What are those Skittles?",quoted from J. Gaffigan
December 25, 2017, 06:49 AM
billfasttax
I received my Christmas fruitcake from my sister on the 23rd. Made from Moms 100 year old recipe. I look forward to it every year.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming…......WOW! WHAT A RIDE!
December 25, 2017, 08:54 AM
houdini26
my grandmother use to make them, you can use them for a door stop.
December 25, 2017, 09:10 AM
V-Tail
I was always told that the One True Fruitcake comes from Claxton GA.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
December 25, 2017, 09:12 AM
StorminNormin
I haven’t had one in years, but the only kind I have had was from Collin Street. I used to drive through Corsicana, TX a lot and would pick one up for my Mom each year.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
December 25, 2017, 09:26 AM
PeterGV
No,love for the fruitcake from Assumption Abbey? Made by Trappist monks. It’s long been my family’s favorite.
December 25, 2017, 10:40 AM
Elk Hunter
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
We like the Greman Stollen brand. I find it at big lots or dollar stores.

Aldie's had a LOT of them, in different "flavors". I think they were imported from Germany

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter
December 25, 2017, 10:51 AM
SigJacket
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I was always told that the One True Fruitcake comes from Claxton GA.

Indeed it does. All others are imposters. Big Grin

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844