SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do Smoke Alarms only false at 2 AM.. Update! Fixed!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do Smoke Alarms only false at 2 AM.. Update! Fixed! Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
We have a First Alert First Alert 1036469 Smart Wi-Fi Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector since 2018, it's hard wired and hasn't been a problem.

A few nights ago it falsed a fire alarm, at 2 in the morning of course, pressed the reset button and it eventually stopped, fast forward a few days and last night it did the same, Warning Fire, Evacuate! bleeeep bleeep bleeeeeep only this time it wouldnt shut off.

No fire, no smoke, no reason for it to false, and it wouldn't shut off, disconnected it from the hard wire and shut off the hidden disable switch. Nope, 2 am in the garage, with a loud ass bleeeping alarm. AFter several tries it was apparent that a few of the screws were not coming out, time for action.

Couple of hard knocks on the bench, popped the cover off, pulled the speaker and it killed the bleeping noise, but it was still falsing. Pulled a small board off a jumper and it quit.

Why 2am, theres 24 hours in a day, 1am I was up, 6 Am wifes up, but no, 2 am....

Gonna call them monday...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
I decided to blame it on battery voltage dropping due to house temp going down at night.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. mine will false once or twice a year between 2 and 2:30. Never fails.

I was told it's likely dust or small spider triggering the sensors.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I had one in the garage that would set off randomly. Turns out it seems to go off when I pull the car in when the weather has been cold and wet. I think it was the steam and humidity from the hot engine fogging up the sensor.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only false alarms but dead batteries always happen at 2AM.

Posts: 3929 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget to replace them every 10 years.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3974 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
That and all Amber alerts must always be when you are dead asleep.

Causes one to find a way to turn all that crap off.

Sorry, but I am not going to remember to watch out for a burgundy caprice at that time of the night.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Designed by Murphy for the Acme Company.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2703 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Not only false alarms but dead batteries always happen at 2AM.

ain't that the truth

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Always....

Mine are wired in and have batteries, same as the old place...still always in the middle of the night.

I replace my batteries every year on 2-14....dunno why it’s just easy to remember. Doesn’t matter if the thing says it will last until 2030...it gets replaced annually...

Sometimes they just go wonky...imagine waiting your whole existence just to yell FIRE wake up!! And never getting the chance to do so....

I also try and blow them out with compressed air if I think about it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have ten fire/co detectors in my house. When one goes off, they all do. The commotion of ten detectors all beeping out of tune is downright evil.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had shoulder replacement surgery. When I came home form the hospital I was basically immobile and highly drugged. My mother in law took my infant daughter, my sons went to school, my wife tucked me in, made sure I had my meds, ice machine, remote control, piss bottle etc, and then went to work and

Chirp

The fire alarm in the hallway outside my bedroom door

Chirp

Everyone was basically gone for 8 hours

I won’t lie, I contemplated trying to move just enough to get an angle on it with the glock 17 I had in the nightstand

But I didn’t

Thankfully the narcotics did their job and I wasn’t completely subjected to I hours of chirp

But fuck was it irritating.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Why do AC systems in Florida fail on Friday afternoon or evening? All mysteries of the universe. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Why do AC systems in Florida fail on Friday afternoon or evening? All mysteries of the universe. Smile

AND hot water heaters in FL !!!!! Mine started leaking on a Friday night. I mopped up 2 gallons of water every 3 hours the entire weekend.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Same reason pets only get sick at 9pm on a Saturday night.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Maybe time to call in Jason and Grant for an investigation? Maybe there's more to it than meets the eye Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Called First Alert the model we have has been superceded with an updated unit.

It's not feasible to repair the old one, so First Alert is replacing the existing unit at their expense including shipping with the newer upgraded model.

Pretty good service, no arguing, no grovelling no issues, and I could clearly understand the tech on the phone Big Grin

Its the 1042135 Model which is Smoke and Carbon detection and interconnected to IOS or Android
The unit also has a night light LED which is great.

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post