SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dr Michael Mosley: Sorry vegans, I won't give up steak any time soon
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dr Michael Mosley: Sorry vegans, I won't give up steak any time soon Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“… The health benefits of red meat are rarely reported. But make no mistake, there are plenty.

Not only is meat a good source of protein that is easily absorbed by the body, but it is abundant in important micronutrients too.

Vitamin B12, found exclusively in animal products, is important for brain development. Studies show deficiencies can lead to fatigue, memory loss and, in severe cases, permanent brain damage. Unless vegans take a daily B12 supplement, they will almost certainly be deficient. Oxford University researchers recently compared blood levels of meat-eating and vegan men. Half of the vegans were Vitamin B12 deficient, compared to just one meat-eater…”

https://mol.im/a/6635279

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm convinced. Dr. Mosley's da man. Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15487 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, with you all the way.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The vegan movement never had nutritional science on its side, but the notion a whole food plant based diet is the “most healthy” is extremely pervasive. They treat it like climate change and ridicule anyone who disagrees.

Fat and red meat not being the enemy of health (backed by plenty of studies, some of them suppressed for many decades) is becoming a much more mainstream notion.

What makes any “diet” successful is that it is replacing all the junk the person was previously eating. So any reasonable diet, vegan, paleo, weight watchers whatever is going to show great results vs whatever the person was eating to make them obese and unhealthy.

What is best from a nutritional standpoint is different than simply resulting in weight loss and lower blood sugar or cholesterol.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The science is settled!

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
The science is settled!

You mean like climate change or .45 vs 9mm? Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
The science is settled!

You mean like climate change or .45 vs 9mm? Smile
Those are settled for me: Climate Change is not man-made and .45 is best.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Almost all of the studies I have read showing that red meat was bad for you lump red meat and other processed meats (like salami, pepperoni, etc) together. Well no kidding highly processed meats that are filled with nitrates and who knows what else are bad for you if consumed in large quantities.

Grass fed, unprocessed, lean red meat is in no way bad for you. In fact the adoption of a meat based diet is what allowed humans to evolve the large and complex brains we possess today.

https://www.npr.org/2010/08/02...diet-made-us-smarter

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
Almost all of the studies I have read showing that red meat was bad for you lump red meat and other processed meats (like salami, pepperoni, etc) together. Well no kidding highly processed meats that are filled with nitrates and who knows what else are bad for you if consumed in large quantities.

Grass fed, unprocessed, lean red meat is in no way bad for you. In fact the adoption of a meat based diet is what allowed humans to evolve the large and complex brains we possess today.

Yep. A daily bologna sandwich nearly killed a young sigcrazy7 back in the 1970's. Add in peanut butter on saltines with a half pint of milk, and it's a wonder I made it through elementary school. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Better have some beer w/ that meat just in case. Brewers yeast was the first ingredient on a bottle of Vit.B supplement of my father's when he was still w/ us.
I think they changed the formula since then but feel good that the less filtered your beer is, the better it is for you.

Posts: 7374 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Becoming a vegan is a big missed steak. Razz

I don't care about vegans' diet and lifestyle (with vegans they overlap) choices, until they start preaching and especially telling me humans are "not meant" to consume meat. Horse shit. Humans are omnivorous and predators, in fact, the biggest predators on the planet (name another animal that has caused the extinction of other animals). Among other things, why are our eyes on the front of our head if we aren't predators?

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Bonobos,Chimpanzees, our closest genetic cousins, even eat meat and insects.

Wife has me on a veggie diet 2 nights a week for high triglycerides.
But tonight I'm having eggplant parm.
Covered in REAL cheese of course.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39770 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Almost all of the studies I have read showing that red meat was bad for you lump red meat and other processed meats (like salami, pepperoni, etc) together.<snip>

I’m not about to give up “processed” meat either. Certainly not Thumann's Braunschweiger. Give it another few years and the nutritionist will proclaim that processed meats are good for you after all.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's way worse than that, you are at least still talking about 1 type of meat vs. another. Almost all of those "studies" are not true scientific studies at all by any stretch of the imagination. They are just surveys (which can easily be manipulated for whatever result you want).

They survey a bunch of people who self-report what they eat and how much/how often as well as any health issues. Then, someone says "look, the people who eat a lot of red meat also have more heart disease." Well, the people who happen to eat a lot of red meat also tend to do a lot of other unhealthy behaviors that weren't controlled for like smoking, excess drinking, lack of exercise, excess consumption of sugar and other garbage foods.

If we did a "study" like that of the Sigforum membership I'm sure we'd find that owning more than 5 guns is linked to increased rates of heart disease via the same methodology...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:

Yep. A daily bologna sandwich nearly killed a young sigcrazy7 back in the 1970's. Add in peanut butter on saltines with a half pint of milk, and it's a wonder I made it through elementary school. Smile
I had a cousin who studied nutrition and he once told me that peanut butter, saltines, and milk gave the body just about everything it needed. So when the Y2K scare was upon us, I bought 5 gallons of bottled water, a box of powdered milk, 5 boxes of saltines, and 2 4-lb cans of peanut butter as my emergency rations (for a few days, at least). As it turned out, our planning apparently was sufficient and I didn't need to fall back on those (but I eventually used them up.)

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
I'm pretty darn sure that it's no coincidence that most vegans are liberals, progressives, and/or "woke" SJWs, white guilt ridden apologists, commies and most likely LGBT challenged.
And insane.

flashguy

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post

Oh, and

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

They survey a bunch of people who self-report what they eat and how much/how often as well as any health issues. Then, someone says "look, the people who eat a lot of red meat also have more heart disease." Well, the people who happen to eat a lot of red meat also tend to do a lot of other unhealthy behaviors that weren't controlled for like smoking, excess drinking, lack of exercise, excess consumption of sugar and other garbage foods.

Very much like the foolishness about Diet Coke making you fat. Hmmmm....people who are overweight and diabetic drink diet soda along with their box of donuts.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Well, I certainly wasn’t interested in dialing back on the sources of my fat intake until I was awash in diabetes drugs, insulin shots and being a cash cow for doctors and drug companies.

I dearly love meat, dairy and eggs. My vegetables of choice were the green and yellow M&Ms.

A lot of research was done before giving the whole food Plant Based Diet a try. Did it take a bit of life style change. You bet. Have I sworn off meat entirely? No, but it has been reduced to condiment status because after logging every SINGLE bite I’ve eaten for the last few months, I’m convinced that animal fat is definitely not my friend. I really don’t care what some industry funded study says.

As far as protein deficiency is concerned, I think a lot of professional athletes have disproven that myth. The only supplement I take one small B12 vitamin pill a week. That $5 bottle holds about a four year supply.

Like me, you may need a health threatening reason to consider giving up some of that great tasting meat, cheese, eggs and such. If you do, give it your best shot, for your family’s sake. YMMV Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post