SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sailboat or marine parts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sailboat or marine parts? Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
Hey gang. Ended up with these, something mixed in with some other stuff we bought. Can someone please tell what they are? I thought maybe rigging for a sail boat..or?

Thx for your efforts. jimmy123x I'm guessing you'll know.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I do not believe those are sailboat rigging parts, at least they are unlike any sailboat rigging I ever saw. Now as to what they are, sorry I have no idea.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1688 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
I do not believe those are sailboat rigging parts, at least they are unlike any sailboat rigging I ever saw. Now as to what they are, sorry I have no idea.
Rod

Thx for looking. Who knows. Somebody on here will know.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're boat parts. The handle goes to a manual bilge pump. You usually mount the handle separately and sometimes tie it to the pump with the rope, because the pump is usually mounted inside a shallow cabinet and with the handle on it, the door wouldn't close.

The 2 long flat ish items are for attaching the curved end to a railing, think 1" +/- stainless pipe. Then something mounts to them.

The other part with the triangle thumb screw is also for mounting the round part with the 4 bolts to a railing and the thumb screen mounted to something else, perhaps a small GPS or depth sounder.

The crudely fabricated part with the pulley was most likely for a sailboat (it all probably was) and used for a jib line to go through it or something else.

Unless you know exactly what boat they went to AND have a use for them on that boat, the parts are worthless. Sailboaters are known for crudely mounting all kinds of junk on the railings and deck to suit their use and have clutter all over the exterior.

Here's the pump the handle goes to, but the handle will come with several different models of pumps...…

https://www.defender.com/produ...6|2234230&id=178967#

The handle itself sells for $31.99, but it's a rare event someone needs a handle....usually a new pump comes with a handle and usually the pump goes bad, so you end up with spare handles.

https://www.defender.com/produ...|2649604&id=1123298#

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
They kinda sorta look like sailboat rigging parts, but, if they are, they don't appear to be off-the-shelf.

They'd also be for a very small boat.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
jimmy123x, thanks. I figured you'd know with all your time around the marina. Maybe somebody here needs em.....

FBLM LGB!

posted Hide Post
The flat pieces with twists go over rails. An anchor will slide into the hole and on the opposite side the slot with a keeper on it. Look up Schaefer Rail Mount Anchor Hanger

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p113565:
The flat pieces with twists go over rails. An anchor will slide into the hole and on the opposite side the slot with a keeper on it. Look up Schaefer Rail Mount Anchor Hanger

Bingo! I knew someone on here would know. Thx gang.

FBLM LGB!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
They're boat parts. The handle goes to a manual bilge pump. You usually mount the handle separately and sometimes tie it to the pump with the rope, because the pump is usually mounted inside a shallow cabinet and with the handle on it, the door wouldn't close.

The 2 long flat ish items are for attaching the curved end to a railing, think 1" +/- stainless pipe. Then something mounts to them.

The other part with the triangle thumb screw is also for mounting the round part with the 4 bolts to a railing and the thumb screen mounted to something else, perhaps a small GPS or depth sounder.

The crudely fabricated part with the pulley was most likely for a sailboat (it all probably was) and used for a jib line to go through it or something else.

Unless you know exactly what boat they went to AND have a use for them on that boat, the parts are worthless. Sailboaters are known for crudely mounting all kinds of junk on the railings and deck to suit their use and have clutter all over the exterior.

Here's the pump the handle goes to, but the handle will come with several different models of pumps...…

The handle itself sells for $31.99, but it's a rare event someone needs a handle....usually a new pump comes with a handle and usually the pump goes bad, so you end up with spare handles.

Boil it all down and it's all Junk. Use a magnet to separate out the stainless bits because they do have more value at a recycling center than mild steel. BTW, nearly all marine fittings for watercraft are either 304 or 316 stainless and are not magnetic unless forged or cold worked.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5652 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p113565:

I *knew* those things looked familiar! Good catch.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:

The two stainless parts hook on to the bow pulpit and are for hanging a Danforth anchor. You slip the anchor into the hole and then the other end drops into the moving part of the other one.

And, when you are looking for that manual bilge pump handle (the backup for the electrics), and absolutely need it, it will undoubtedly be in the four foot deep lazarette buried under 62 life jackets and numerous other items that you haven't seen since 1962.

They are all sailboat parts BTW. I probably have some of those in the basement Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post

This part (83745) is a rail mount for a Kuuma brand marine BBQ grill, it sells new for around $50.00.

Link

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:

This part (83745) is a rail mount for a Kuuma brand marine BBQ grill, it sells new for around $50.00.

Link

Amazing, thanks for showing me this!

FBLM LGB!

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:

The two stainless parts hook on to the bow pulpit and are for hanging a Danforth anchor. You slip the anchor into the hole and then the other end drops into the moving part of the other one.

And, when you are looking for that manual bilge pump handle (the backup for the electrics), and absolutely need it, it will undoubtedly be in the four foot deep lazarette buried under 62 life jackets and numerous other items that you haven't seen since 1962.

They are all sailboat parts BTW. I probably have some of those in the basement Big Grin

Wichita was Ted Wells town. He was a prolific Snipe racer and designer of the Stagger wing Beechcraft. He raced and won trophies on the little lake I live on in Missouri. Beech's widow tired of Wells focus on racing and sent a plane to bring him back to fire him for it. He flew back to continue the regatta.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pbslinger,

Posts: 7459 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post